Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Yeshiva week frustration
Previous  1  2

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:34 am
nicole81 wrote:
If you're on facebook, post in as many groups as possible looking for someone, and make a desperate plea as your status update. Message everyone on your friend list or text everyone in your phonebook, asking if they know a sitter or even a cleaning lady who would be willing to babysit. Social networking has been really helpful to me in the past when needing babysitters.

I understand not being able to take off, btw, and it doesn't seem all that shocking to me. There are certain types of jobs and work situations that make days off impossible at times. And there's also a huge difference between calling out for a day in a pinch, and an entire week. But generally we know when the days off will be, so we arrange well in advance.

Not on Facebook and it's not like I haven't planned this through.
I had arrangements. But they just fell through. Plus I don't have a kid in school yet so I didn't know it was going to be yeshiva week until pretty recently. Day care just told me a few weeks ago. And again, I made plans right away. Ugh!

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 11:38 am
Sad

I think it's worth being on Facebook just for situations like this that may arise! I can't even tell you how many times I found a last minute sitter or solution to a babysitting jam over the years through social networking.

I know you don't really want to post your location, but if you're really in need, consider it because maybe someone on here can help you!

sourstix

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:03 pm
not criticizing, just wondering. you knew about this vaca awhile ago. why didnt you arrange a babysitter then?
I hope now that you know this can be challenging that you will be prepared in advance next time.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:06 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Sad

I think it's worth being on Facebook just for situations like this that may arise! I can't even tell you how many times I found a last minute sitter or solution to a babysitting jam over the years through social networking.

I know you don't really want to post your location, but if you're really in need, consider it because maybe someone on here can help you!

That happened to me just last week. I was in a real pinch and posted on facebook that I was looking for a sitter. A friend who is really more of an acquaintance, I don't have enough of a connection that I would have thought of asking her this kind of favor, and doesn't even have her own kid the same age - another reason I wouldn't have thought of asking her to give up her free time for me - reached out and offered to take my kid until someone else could take over (my regular backup plan could make it but late. So they split the time.) I was awed by her kindness and gratefully accepted, and now I have a new connection and appreciation for someone in my community.

I don't think I would ever take such an offer from imamother, though, it's much too anonymous, unless someone came forth who HAPPENED to have a lot of mutual friends with me, and what are the odds of that? But on facebook my friends are people in the community, many of whom I'm not really close to but I see them around enough both in person and on facebook to feel more comfortable accepting a favor from them. And hopefully someday I'll be able to reciprocate somehow.

Maya

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:07 pm
sourstix wrote:
not criticizing, just wondering. you knew about this vaca awhile ago. why didnt you arrange a babysitter then?
I hope now that you know this can be challenging that you will be prepared in advance next time.

She said she had arrangements. They just fell through the last minute.

OP, we also have winter vacation here, seven whole school days off. No words of advice as I'm a SAHM, but I often think about the working parents and how difficult it must be for them. Hope you succeed in making new workable arrangements.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:11 pm
sourstix wrote:

I said previously- I had someone to babysit. She JUST told me she couldn't do it. And now the other person who I usually can rely on is not going to be available (been trying to get in touch with her since I found out I needed one). I did have a plan. And a possible backup. Everyone else I have tried is unavailable.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:24 pm
seeker wrote:
That happened to me just last week. I was in a real pinch and posted on facebook that I was looking for a sitter. A friend who is really more of an acquaintance, I don't have enough of a connection that I would have thought of asking her this kind of favor, and doesn't even have her own kid the same age - another reason I wouldn't have thought of asking her to give up her free time for me - reached out and offered to take my kid until someone else could take over (my regular backup plan could make it but late. So they split the time.) I was awed by her kindness and gratefully accepted, and now I have a new connection and appreciation for someone in my community.

I don't think I would ever take such an offer from imamother, though, it's much too anonymous, unless someone came forth who HAPPENED to have a lot of mutual friends with me, and what are the odds of that? But on facebook my friends are people in the community, many of whom I'm not really close to but I see them around enough both in person and on facebook to feel more comfortable accepting a favor from them. And hopefully someday I'll be able to reciprocate somehow.

I agree about the difference between facebook and here, but I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps someone on here knew of a sitter or someone available from that area that can then always be checked into.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
I said previously- I had someone to babysit. She JUST told me she couldn't do it. And now the other person who I usually can rely on is not going to be available (been trying to get in touch with her since I found out I needed one). I did have a plan. And a possible backup. Everyone else I have tried is unavailable.

Can you ask your usual people to recommend someone else?

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:50 pm
Well then this sounds like one of those times when I literally go through the neighborhood phone book and call every single person I know to ask if they have any ideas. Usually there's at least one person who will say "well I don't really do this but if you get to the end of the phone book and REALLY don't have ANYONE else then call me back and I'll see if I can work it out."

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 10:27 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you ask your usual people to recommend someone else?

Some people I asked refused to tell me who they use. Like it was some state secret or I will monopolize their sitter forever. I rarely need a sitter and it is even rarer that my usuals can't do it!
Others are asking around but still don't know of anyone. I am covered tomorrow... It was later in the week that I am freaking out about.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics