Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Weight gaining food ideas for kids:)

zuncompany

Post Wed, Oct 13 2004, 2:38 pm
I saw a few people are having weight gaining issues with their little ones. I thought I might share some ideas that were given to us or tricks we learned with Zu that helped with his weight gain. Like I said before he went from neg. numbers to the 25%. It took time and a lot of work, but we did it and G-d willing (will know nov. 2nd) are maintaining it.

We were told by the ped that protein is the key for weight gain in little ones. Chicken and beef were biggies. We loved the chicken patties by Rubashkin (you can get them shor habor in some places and most carry aarons ones now). I would fry them up to add on extra fat. We found he loved spice, so spice went into everything! He would have protein 5 times a day. His all time favorite was fried gefilta fish. I would take my loaf, cut it up, a little olive oil (if they can handle canola thats better for them) and fry it up. He would eat like half a loaf a day sometimes. Also kugels are great cause of all the eggs. Plus a lot of kugels you can add mayo into or oils to add fat. His favorite was the creamy brocc. in spice and spirit. This way he got his veggies in too! Oh and he loved the carrot loaf! If they can handle dairy, yogurt is a good one! Protein and calcium!! And fat!!! We would mix Zu's cereal (and still do cause he can't have milk) with yogurt. Homemade mac and cheese is another good one... butter, cheese, noodles. I add in some broccali... than we have a veggie there too. We were also adviced to make him a shake once a day... add any fruit he likes, yogurt, sour cream, some sugar. If they can handle milk you can put that instead of the sour cream. Or, ice cream instead of sour cream. Adds fat and the calcium they need. Also we were told to put little bowls all over the apartment (I know some would have an issue with this) of cheerios for Zu to nosh on. He litterally ate cheerios all day at first. He was so crushed when Pesach came. Triscuits are also another good snack. High in iron, and not low in fat (unless you get the low fat ones which defeats the purpose). Avacados are high in fat. Also our ped (not all) feels that if you have to add a little sugar, so add a little sugar. Zu loves candies yams and carrots. He also loves squash with brown sugar and marg. marg or butter is another good one to add to food to give it more cals.

The most important thing we learned... he didn't like eating alone and he didn't like baby food. He ate a whole lot more when we were sitting with him and also eating and he was eating the same as us.

Anyone else have ideas?
Sara

CS

Post Wed, Oct 13 2004, 3:36 pm
Those are great ideas. I think your last one about sitting with him while he was eating is right on. If I actively participate when my kids are eating, I.e. I actually tell them a story and pop food into each one's mouth from the plate, my kids consume a lot more than left to their own devices. Also, just sitting at the table or in the room with them. However, it takes time and patience, both of which I run out of too often.

You just made me committed to refocus my efforts to make sure my kids eat the healthy food I prepare them.

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 16 2004, 9:17 pm
Zun Company thanks for great advice I will try it Smile

Yael

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 5:49 pm
wow Zu, those are great ideas.
I'm going to try them out.
I used to feed my son spoonfuls of olive oil with a raisin in the middle to make it more appetizing, he loved it!! can you beleive it? he'd ask for more. (I think it was cuz of the raisin, he loves them) I would give him 5 spoons and then say enough, cuz how much can he have already.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 6:08 pm
LOL! Yael... whatever gets them to eat right?Smile Look into canola oil. It is healthier we were told than olive oil, but has the same weight gaining capabilities. Just doesn't clog your arteries as much.

Like I mentioned before, we had to work hard with Zu.
We got really creative. We were also blessed to have a ped who not only cared a lot (she is not working right now due to a family emergancy, but still asks how Zu's weight is doing when she sees us in the grocery store or around the community) but was frum. Another doc we saw didn't care about Chalov Yisroel and was really pushing us to give him ou dairy stuff. We refused unless it was a last resort. Our reg. ped was respectful of this and came up with that "bulk up" shake (can't have milk, so this was a sub) so we wouldn't have to buy gogurts. She also suggested different place we might find higher fat Chalov Yisroel products since we were only finding low fat stuff.

Sara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen