Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How do I make my closet practical?

zcc

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:32 pm
I currently have many closets that have a higher hanging rod and 2 shelves on top of it. If im getting a handyman to add some shelving - what would be a good and practical way for me to fix up my closets?
Im thinking of half the closet should have an upper and lower rod and the other half should have shelves.
Any other ideas?

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:40 pm
maybe adding drawers rather then shelves? Easier to store clothing in drawers. They can be the plastic type drawers if they are behind a door.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 6:56 pm
If you have any dresses or robes, they are too tall for an upper & lower rod, and you will need some full height hanging space.

Regarding drawers, get the deepest ones that will fit the space, and with full extension hardware so you can easily access stuff in the back.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 7:10 pm
In some of the closets you can make a row of cubby shelves (with baskets) or drawers on one side from top to bottom before putting up rods. You'll lose a bit of rod space but everything will be neater.
For a small walk in closet that has rods on each side you can put a row of cubby shelves or drawers on the middle of the back wall, between the rods of clothes on each side. And do a high dress size rod on one side and two shirt / skirt size rods on the other side, and leave the storage shelves on top.
In a kids room, you can do a shirt / skirt size rod (kid friendly) with cubbies on top, followed by another shirt / skirt size rod that you can reach (if you're OK with putting dresses in another closet once they are older. I'm OK with that since girls wear uniform tops and skirts and most regular clothes also separates and their shabbos dresses and robe once they are older can hang in another closet, right now their dresses still fit on the separates rod) and another storage shelf way up high.
If you have an extra closet, make shelves or drawers so that everything has its place.

Someone just showed me her closets. She bought ikea drawer chests for $100 each, installed them in her closets and built rods and shelves around them. It's an awesome idea but for me I felt I would lose too much hanging space since my closets aren't that big so the above ideas worked better for me. Also we have furniture with drawers in our bedrooms and we hang most of our clothes so we need lots of rod space.

zcc

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:49 am
Thank u!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics