Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Am I the only one who is disappointed with Bugaboo?
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 3:27 am
I read all over this forum and hear IRL how Bugaboo strollers last forever and so on. I feel half cheated and half like a loser-
I got a Bugaboo from a wealthy family member for my first child as a gift. Nought from a store, not used.
I used it a ton- we didn't have a car back then so I walked everywhere with it, did grocery shopping with it...in other words- probably abused it in terms of weight it carried at times, sand at beach etc.
After a year it already started causing issues- the bassinet is a bit tilted, the wheels make noise (I took it in for repair, the put oil but it didn't make a big differece), it's scratched...
Fast forward three years (I used it for first kid for 1.5 years and same for second kid)- I just took it out for my coming birth and it looks old-ish (the silver part is scratched, the black parts have some small holes in them, the bassinet is really not straight, the bag underneath is torn..) and the worst part is that it's not driving as smoothly as it used to !
I'm still grateful for it and I'm going to use it- can't comapre to other storllers I've used andI'm not buying a new baby stroller (!) but I'm just baffled. Is it the buggy (did I get a bad one?) or is Bugaboo really not that strong as everyone thinks? Or am I the only one who doesn't know how to use it properly? I feel so bad for not keeping it in a better condition but also feel bad that it didn't last longer- it's supposed to be the best stroller that people use for a million kids at least ! Smile

So, other mothers with Bugaboo -what do you think ?
PS Only one friend of mine has it and hers is still perfect but that is because she barely used it at all- only for the first months and even then mostly at home.

Tekky

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 3:31 am
I find that the top causes of a damaged stroller are overloading it with too much weight, whether in the seat or basket, and bring it up and down stairs. Logically, of course your stroller can't be perfect three years later when you do that very often, now can it?

Bugaboo strollers are superior in quality and durability, but you've kind of abused it. (all stroller frames scratch btw - regardless of how you use it).

Bugaboo is usually good about helping you figure out if it's worth replacing specific parts.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 3:57 am
cfx wrote:
I find that the top causes of a damaged stroller are overloading it with too much weight, whether in the seat or basket, and bring it up and down stairs. Logically, of course your stroller can't be perfect three years later when you do that very often, now can it?

Bugaboo strollers are superior in quality and durability, but you've kind of abused it. (all stroller frames scratch btw - regardless of how you use it).

Bugaboo is usually good about helping you figure out if it's worth replacing specific parts.

OK I guess that's what I wanted to hear that I abused it and that is why it's in such bad shape. I feel guilty about it but at the same time know that I didn't have much of a choice- either I would be 'damaged' from all the carrying or the stroller Smile
I went to bugaboo distributor here in EY and they weren't helpful at all.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 3:59 am
I know a few people.with the same experience as you OP.
I only know one person that is still using her for.her 4th child. Most others need to replace it after 2 or 3 children. I know people say that some of us "abuse our carriages " especially those people that use it very often because they have no car but I still think that a $1000 carriage should be able to handle that abuse and not have to be replaced after 2 children.

FTR I don't have a bugaboo specifically for this reason. If I know I would get years of use out of it I may be able to justify getting it, but I couldn't justify spending that money on something that (relatvely) doesn't last.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:18 am
cnc wrote:
I know a few people.with the same experience as you OP.
I only know one person that is still using her for.her 4th child. Most others need to replace it after 2 or 3 children. I know people say that some of us "abuse our carriages " especially those people that use it very often because they have no car but I still think that a $1000 carriage should be able to handle that abuse and not have to be replaced after 2 children.

FTR I don't have a bugaboo specifically for this reason. If I know I would get years of use out of it I may be able to justify getting it, but I couldn't justify spending that money on something that (relatvely) doesn't last.

That's what I thought. Really annoying that this isn't the case.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:21 am
I have a double mountain buggy that's about 10 years old, I got it about 5 years ago. They hardly used it.
I have put 4 kids in it, overloaded it with heavy groceries, bounced it up and down stairs, had kids jumping on it both in the open and closed positions.
All I've needed to fix. On it was a screw and some tires and inner tubes.
My mountain buggy swift has three years of heavy constant use over the weight limit many times. I've put 2 kids in the seat and balanced one on the hood. It is still in really good condition. Though the he fabric is stained and faded.
I paid 1300 shekel for it. New in the box, pre owned.

The superior quality of a bugaboo as an excuse for the high price is baloney in my opinion.

champion

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:22 am
I personally think bugaboos are overrated. Very. Very. Overrated.
Don't feel bad op. This would have happened with any stroller bugaboo included.
Strollers that are used heavily. will end up looking used.
Stroller that are used lightly. will look that way.
A stroller that is of a higher quality. might last a bit longer.
So maybe you got another year or two out of it that you would not have gotten from another stroller.
But really don't feel bad.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:26 am
I know people using their Mountain Buggy strollers for their 5th or 6th kid. My neighbor replaced very Valco after 5 kids and got a Bee instead. (I was itching to tell her to get a Valco again because no Bugaboo Bee is going to last her another 5 kids! Smile )

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:00 am
I'm a big fan of the city mini. great design, easy fold etc. I'm up to my second. But my first one only lasted me one kid - from a few months old until she didn't need it any more. I also use and abuse my strollers a lot, just like you. Then with kid number 2 the wheel broke off and in any case the fabric was really shabby. I still got another since I love it so much. But for $200-250 for a brand new one its not such a big deal. (I also have another stroller good for a younger baby with a seat that faces me)

I sometimes think with all the strollers I've been through maybe I would have done better getting one super expensive stroller which would last me for a few kids. But I guess not. I think many people who have bugaboos also have umbrella strollers and other strollers and cars and maybe just don't walk that much.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:09 am
I have a bugaboo and I am very happy with it.
I use it for everything as I don't have a car for groceries and ect...
never had problem with it its been a year already.

baba

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:32 am
Pulling out my Bugaboo for my 4th now, and it's still fine. I only got a car with the 3rd kid, so also used it a lot with walking etc. Yes it has scratches, but otherwise it's totally fine and drives as smooth as always. However, my dh was religious about using the maintenance kit to maintain it, at least once a year. Maybe this really helped. By my 3rd I bought new color material and it felt like a whole new carriage. For the record, it's almost 10 years old.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:48 am
Very often you pay the name. Mosr of my fav strollers over years have been brandless, LIGHT, cheapies.

someone

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:11 am
I am using my Bugaboo for my fourth kid now b"H. It is in pretty good condition, but the basket under the seat ripped years ago because I over loaded it. If you are in Israel you can go to Chasdei Shmuel in Yerushalayim, they have ordered parts for ours in the past, they are very helpful.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:18 am
I abuse my stroller more than anyone, definitely more than you. I've exceeded the weight limit many times, bumped it up the stairs loaded with groceries (including many bottles of drinks). I've even taken it to the beach. I have a citimini and its in much better condition than yours. I've had mine about 2 1/2 years.

If you have a stroller in the $1000 range, it should last and last and last, no matter how much you abuse. Well maybe you shouldn't throw it out your window or take it in the ocean but within reason.

I'm sorry for your frustration with your stroller:(

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:50 am
Heyaaa wrote:

I'm sorry for your frustration with your stroller:(

Thank you.
It really is frustrating . I don't understand how others managed to keep it in such great shape for 10(!) years. Wow.
I remember when first getting it - thinking that maybe I got a bad one to begin with. Now I'm suspecting it even more .

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:52 am
someone wrote:
I am using my Bugaboo for my fourth kid now b"H. It is in pretty good condition, but the basket under the seat ripped years ago because I over loaded it. If you are in Israel you can go to Chasdei Shmuel in Yerushalayim, they have ordered parts for ours in the past, they are very helpful.

How much do they take for the basket for example ?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:54 am
baba wrote:
Pulling out my Bugaboo for my 4th now, and it's still fine. I only got a car with the 3rd kid, so also used it a lot with walking etc. Yes it has scratches, but otherwise it's totally fine and drives as smooth as always. However, my dh was religious about using the maintenance kit to maintain it, at least once a year. Maybe this really helped. By my 3rd I bought new color material and it felt like a whole new carriage. For the record, it's almost 10 years old.

Oop I don't even know what maintenance kit you are referring to 😳

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:14 am
cnc wrote:
I know people using their Mountain Buggy strollers for their 5th or 6th kid. My neighbor replaced very Valco after 5 kids and got a Bee instead. (I was itching to tell her to get a Valco again because no Bugaboo Bee is going to last her another 5 kids! Smile )

I have a valco from my second who is now almost 7. It's gotten a LOT of use, even though it's only been used for two kids. It's in amazing condition.
Last summer I bought a double mountain buggy from someone. I don't know how old it is. We took a road trip to and from Miami last summer, and we used it every day for three weeks. It's still in great condition.
If I were to buy another stroller to replace my valco, I'd either get another valco or get a single mountain buggy.
I never wanted (not could I afford) a fancy, expensive stroller. It's not me, and it's not my budget. If I'm going to be paying a ton of money for something, it sure as heck better be worth it. I don't feel like these expensive strollers and car seats and high chairs are worth the extra money.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:24 am
As I wrote on the other thread I wasn't too impressed with the donkey. The seats are really short so would not last that long with my toddler and it's super wide and heavy as well as incredibly expensive.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:48 am
I realize a lot of the wear and tear on my strollers comes from older toddlers. They kick, they stand, they jump...if you can't use a bugaboo for a two year old no wonder they last so well.

Also, it might be that israeli terrain (lots of steps etc) might be a lot harder wearing on a buggy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics