Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My ds would benefit from having a pet, but I'm allergic

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:13 am
My ds is three years old.

I don't know what exactly is the issue(s) with him, but I know there's a deep and large part of him that I don't understand. He's been evaluated by therapists and they said he'd need to be older to get an emotional/psychological diagnosis. I'm planning to take him to a pediatric neurologist to find out more.

He can be classic adhd - hyperactive, not sitting still for a moment, his brain flying all over, doing things that are not age-appropriate like dunking his head in the toilet bowl etc.

And at other times, he appears as though he borders on autism. He can walk around in a daze. You can talk to him, he'll make eye contact with you, but it's clear that he doesn't "hear" you. He can blabber on end without saying a single word, or use random words that don't make any sense. Sometimes he can just sit and stare into space.

It's weird that he can be both extremes.

But I found that he greatly connected with pets. It's as though they "get" each other; as though they speak the same language. They can enter a world that I can't.

I think it would do wonders for him to have a puppy. But I'm allergic Sad

Any solutions?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 10:36 am
http://www.akc.org/about/faq-allergies/

Does it have to be a dog? http://www.petmd.com/dog/welln.....pets#

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:18 am
Rutabaga wrote:
http://www.akc.org/about/faq-allergies/

Does it have to be a dog? http://www.petmd.com/dog/welln.....pets#

Thanks for the links.
I felt that he bonded with dogs/puppies. They're very child friendly. Are there any other pets that are the same? A pet that can be his friend?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:26 am
Whats the allergy? Certian breeds are hypoallergenic, like poodles.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:31 am
Get tested to see if the problem is pet dander or saliva. As Watergirl said , there are definitely dogs with non-allergenic coats.

Lanz892

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:52 am
my family all have terrible allergies and they have a poodle and have no problems with him Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 11:59 am
Will this be your family's first dog? If so, may I suggest you don't get a puppy.

There are poodle rescue groups who can match you up with a dog who's already had it's temperament evaluated, and can tell you if it will be good with kids or not. A slightly older dog who is already housebroken will be easier to adjust to, less work for you, less likely to nip or scratch, and will have calmer energy.

There are way too many poodle breeders in the world, and plenty of sweet dogs who need rescuing. Be sure to consider a standard poodle, too, not just the minis. Standards are wonderful family dogs, and make great handicap and therapy dogs. They tend to have more stable personalities, and are less overbred. I've yet to meet a standard poodle I didn't like, but I've been bitten by my share of neurotic minis.

You don't have to do expensive grooming on poodles, either. A basic clipper cut looks nice, and keeps them clean. No need for a fancy show trim.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 12:01 pm
Also, before you get a dog, go on YouTube and watch every single episode of "The Dog Whisperer". Cesar Milan is absolutely amazing. You won't just learn about your dog, you'll learn a lot about yourself as a person, too.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 1:33 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Get tested to see if the problem is pet dander or saliva. As Watergirl said , there are definitely dogs with non-allergenic coats.

I've been tested a couple years ago and the problem is dander if I remember correctly.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 1:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Will this be your family's first dog? If so, may I suggest you don't get a puppy.

There are poodle rescue groups who can match you up with a dog who's already had it's temperament evaluated, and can tell you if it will be good with kids or not. A slightly older dog who is already housebroken will be easier to adjust to, less work for you, less likely to nip or scratch, and will have calmer energy.

There are way too many poodle breeders in the world, and plenty of sweet dogs who need rescuing. Be sure to consider a standard poodle, too, not just the minis. Standards are wonderful family dogs, and make great handicap and therapy dogs. They tend to have more stable personalities, and are less overbred. I've yet to meet a standard poodle I didn't like, but I've been bitten by my share of neurotic minis.

You don't have to do expensive grooming on poodles, either. A basic clipper cut looks nice, and keeps them clean. No need for a fancy show trim.

Thanks for the helpful info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)