Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
R' shlomo yehuda rechnitz email address
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:32 pm
Anyone have it?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:35 pm
When did he become Reb?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
When did he become Reb?

Why do you think that only Rabbis like Satmer and Belz and Bobov should be called Reb? Just because their ancestors were holy? Rabbi Rechnitz spoke about important issues that have an impact on the future of our children and you have a problem if people call him reb???

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
When did he become Reb?

he deserves the title a lot more than every random guy in kollel being called Rabbi (as in, Dear Rabbi and Mrs X)

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
When did he become Reb?

When he earned it by pouring millions of tzedaka dollars into our communities. Sheesh.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:32 am
Iirc when he was the mc at the last siyum hashas he was not addressed as mr.... op was 100% right to refer to him as reb.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:48 am
I dont understand this. SOmeone who is called a rabbi is someone who has smicha. Full stop. If this man has smicha then he is rabbi, if not then no, he should not be called rabbi.
Rabbi is not a title of respect, it is a title such as doctor, meaning that because of what they learned and qualified for, they qualify to have that title. Scratching Head

myself

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 3:04 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont understand this. SOmeone who is called a rabbi is someone who has smicha. Full stop. If this man has smicha then he is rabbi, if not then no, he should not be called rabbi.
Rabbi is not a title of respect, it is a title such as doctor, meaning that because of what they learned and qualified for, they qualify to have that title. Scratching Head

The thing is, in many right wing communities Reb is used as a term of respect. In Yiddish an older man is hardly ever called Mr but rather Reb. When kids refer to a man double their age they are expected to call them Reb so and so and not on first name basis. It's significantly different to the title Rabbi.

I 100% agree with you though. The term Rabbi is often overused and it irks me every time.

cnc

Reb is actually a similar title to Mr.
Those with Smicha use the title Rabbi.

5*Mom

Reb does not mean rabbi. It is a term of respect for a layperson.

ETA: FWIW, my DH received semicha but does not hold a rabbinic position and doesn't pasken so he doesn't use the title Rabbi. He feels rabbi should mean much more than simply someone with semicha. But that's a different discussion.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 4:33 am
I found these two emails for him.

R13YALI@AOL.COM

Shlomo@shlomo.com

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:32 am
I don't think its right( and I spoke to others that felt the same) for him coming from out of lkwd to come and give mussar- and btw only bec he's rich cud he get away w it.. We have a v big community w lots of schools so it works dif then out if town where theres 2 schools..

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:35 am
amother wrote:
I don't think its right( and I spoke to others that felt the same) for him coming from out of lkwd to come and give mussar- and btw only bec he's rich cud he get away w it.. We have a v big community w lots of schools so it works dif then out if town where theres 2 schools..

I think he definitely has the right. Yes, he definitely only gets away with it because he has money and that's because HE PUTS HIS MONEY WHERE HIS MOUTH IS. Can you say that about everyone else?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:39 am
amother wrote:

He has personally been involved in getting many children into schools in Lakewood and knows the struggle first hand. And yes he should give Mussar precisely because he's wealthy, someone who is wealthy is obligated to give Mussar (source:Sucah daf 29a at the bottom to 29b till the end of the chapter.)

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:53 am
I was initially inclined to agree with the poster who questioned why he was being called Reb, thinking it was the Yiddish term for Rabbi but then I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reb_(Yiddish)

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 8:08 am
I took a look at some photos I took of family graves, and they all say that the deceased is the son or daughter of 'ר someone (most were abbreviated to ב"ר for men), and in every case where I know who that is, the father was not a rabbi and in no cases did I hear that any of the relatives whose fathers I didn't know were children of a rabbi.

I also found this at http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoF......html

The Hebrew word בן, ben, means "son of", as in "Yaakov ben Yitzhak", meaning "Yaakov the son of Yitzhak". The Hebrew word בת, bat, means "daughter of". On tombstones, these words will often appear as ב'ר, an abbreviation for ben reb, meaning "son (or daughter) of the worthy", followed by the father's given name. The word reb is a simple honorific, a title of respect — it does not mean Rabbi.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 8:16 am
Reb does not mean rabbi. It's just a respectful way to refer to someone . As in: Shalom Reb Yid!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 8:44 am
amother wrote:

LA is not such a tiny town... We are bigger than Baltimore by a large margin. Possibly double their size. There are multiple schools here. I can count easily 9 girls high schools without blinking. Within driving distance of where I live (so not counting San Diego, which is it's own city an hour or two hours away but people do board and send girls from there to LA etc). But the schools in LA cater to different crowds and still work together if someone wasn't accepted anywhere. They all feel as part of the same team and are also "willing to take a chance" on someone who "isn't a perfect fit" if they don't get in anywhere.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 8:58 am
my father was a shochet and no smicha and they called him rabbi at work. ok, his mail came as rabbi. but by his peers he was called reb. the rabbi thing was the non jews at work they obviously didnt know the term so they called him rabbi. no he isnt a rabbi of a shul or whatever. it was like this for all rabbonim and shochtim.

obviously rabbi is misused at times. but reb is to give honor to someone older, to give respect. in my community phone book, everyone is reb. no matter what you do and who youare. its just for respect. sometimes dh laughs how they title him reb on invitations.

its better to misuse it and give the honor then to miss and not give honor where its due. about rechnitz he does give a lot of money. but who is he to give mussar. leave the mussar to the rabbonim. we have enough of that. jumho

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:04 am
sourstix wrote:
but who is he to give mussar. leave the mussar to the rabbonim. we have enough of that. jumho

He heavily funds the schools. He bought the right to give mussar.

But you miss the point: Is he right or is he wrong? If he's right, what difference does it make who he is?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics