Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kindergarten teacher biased to best dressed kids...

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:58 pm
And it's seriously driving me nuts and making me hate her. My daughter picked up on the fact that her teacher chooses "chazanis" based on what they are wearing. I know she does this, since there are 2-3 girls in the class who come from well-to-do families and their mothers dress them to kill. Those are the 3 names I keep hearing as being chosen. Every morning my daughter looks in the mirror and says, I think today I'ts gonna be my turn. I'm sooooo upset about this, the teacher should have a set order or system of how she chooses. I know this is such a petty thing and there are way more important things in life, but I am very upset that my daughter's teacher is like this and just want to vent.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:08 pm
ugh. big hug. I'm sorry you have to deal with this utter nonsense.

smss

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:13 pm
Omg seriously? Why don't they all get an equal amount of turns?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:15 pm
have you spoken to the teacher? "my dd dreams of being chazanis. it is now january. when will it be her turn?"

iluvy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:17 pm
Don't vent. Call up the morah and say, "I was wondering what the system is for choosing chazanis, because dd really wants to do it!" She should absolutely have a rotation so that everyone gets a turn; that's what my daughter's teacher does.

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:17 pm
you should call the teacher and let her know that your daughter is asking to be chazanis and is anxious about not having gotten a turn. (dont mention the kids clothing)

parents and teachers are supposed to work together.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:27 pm
I am not saying what you said is not true, but sometimes these ideas are in the eyes of the child. Kindergarten is pretty young to pick up on these things. Maybe it is your daughters perception?
I doubt it has to do with the clothes the child wears. Maybe those girls are well behaved or maybe those girls are shy and this is the Morahs way of making them participate.
I had DD say her teachers hates her because she was not called on, when in reality DD was not called on as much as SHE would like because she always knew the answer and SHE felt she should be able to say it. Same DD was just "finally" chosen as talmidah hashavuah. She is bright and doesnt cause trouble. The teacher told her privately (not that I agree with this) that she deserves it earlier, but that other girls needed to be the talmidah hashavuah first because they dont do as well as her. While that may also be a wrong reason (I am not sure how I feel about that reason) , my daughter could have thought she didn't get picked because she has glasses or because of a million reasons.

You should definately tell the teacher your daughter wants to be picked and ask when her turn is scheduled.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:31 pm
If the teacher does that based on what they wear then she is very immature and should work elsewhere. I think you can write the teacher a note in a positive way how your daughter is very excited to be chazinis and you are hoping she can be very soon. End with how she is doing such a good job etc. Maybe your daughter likes those three girls so will talk about them? A shallow teacher will usually like the well dressed kids for a week or two then she will lean towards those with cute personality. Trust me.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:32 pm
I hope your post is just a joke. but if you're serious:
As a nursery teacher who knows plenty of teachers, I don't think that this Is even a possibility. Even if the teacher likes kids with nice clothing, how can it remotely be possible that it's January and not every child had a turn? I think there's something your daughter isn't quite understanding or repeating properly.

Many teachers say "the chazanis is wearing a red skirt, blue sweater... " and the children try to figure out who it is . so some kids get all obsessed with what they're going to wear, because they hope Morah will say something about their dress.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:44 pm
4 year olds are not necessarily the most accurate reporters. Mine went through a stage when she wanted to wear something "fancy" to school so morah would choose her for this or that. I KNOW that was not the case, it was dd's way of trying to figure out how to get something that was in fact random.
But in any case I'm with the others, tell the teacher your kid wants a turn and ask when she should expect one. In some classes they take turns a week at a time so it's very possible to get your first turn around now in a biggish class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics