Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rechnitz speech brought something ignored to the surface
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Since you show so much anger and rage over his speech it just shows he was talking to people like you.The truth hurts.

I'm trying to remember anything, anything at all, from the symbolic logic class I took years ago.
I think my head's about to explode.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:31 pm
glutenless wrote:
Rabbi Kanarek is known as the one school head who accepts people in his schools, even if they don't belong there. I know more than one girl who is in Bais Shaindel who really doesn't belong there. Not because Rabbi Kanarek doesn't think they're good enough, and not because the parents were holding out for a better school, but because Bais Shaindel is a very yeshivish school and these are just not very yeshivish people. Good people, but not very yeshivish. They did not get into other schools, and even though they didn't apply there, and they really don't belong there, he accepted them.

This goes on in all of his schools. I think this exactly why Rechnitz made this speech at a dinner honoring Rabbi Kanarek. Because he was not talking about Rabbi Kanarek. And no, I do not have children in any of his schools. But I do have the utmost respect for him, more than for the heads of the schools I send to, unfortunately.

So true, Rabbi Kanarek helped me.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:33 pm
Chocolate amother (yummy,) what I was addressing was the fact that mr rechnitz found a lot to criticize about the Lakewood community but very little constructive criticism to offer. Also publicly calling out an entire community and their mosdos for a lack of middos doesn't seem like very good middos. Btw I am neither rich nor a founder of anything noteworthy.
And I don't think any one person could be causing all this pain to anyone. But ur accusation stung nevertheless.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:36 pm
Tigerwife, at the end of the day his speech does not answer all of the questions he raised either. That was part of my point. He had lots of criticism, but not even one suggestion or hint of an idea on how to directly address the problem.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:36 pm
Naturalmom5, ur right, everyone makes mistakes, and mr rechnitz displayed many admirable qualities. I do appreciate that he spoke for the people who have no voice, and took the initiative in an area where he felt "be makom shein ish..."
But my issue was specifically with the fact that he did not do it in a bakovodic manner. He publicly called out people with out stating that he attempted to address this quietly. He called out an entire community on their lack of middos and new Ani maamins. You say he didn't scream at anyone. So is being better than abusive good? Does it make it ok to be mevazaeh someone berabim because u sprinkled in maamarei chazal? Also does that help make ur speech constructive? Was this an excercise in beat up on Lakewood, or was he trying to make a change? Because his speech included no ideas for change. And invited no one to present any.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:37 pm
since this was a speech at an organized event, I'm pretty sure that the organizers knew what he was going to say. So I wouldn't worry about the feelings of the man who was supposed to be honored, he was probably cheering him on and wanted him to talk about it. this stuff is all scripted before, guys!

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:40 pm
These people finally got a taste of their own medicine. They are the ones calling all these ridiculous "asifahs" blaming the world's problems on tznius, Internet etc -everyone and everything but themselves and their own actions. And then at an event where they expected to continue hearing their own praises and to continue patting themselves on the back for being so much greater than everyone else, they for once got the mussar that they so enjoy giving to others. It had to be a suprise, because the people who needed to hear it would not have come to a speech like this if they knew what the topic was.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:41 pm
solo wrote:
Naturalmom5, ur right, everyone makes mistakes, and mr rechnitz displayed many admirable qualities. I do appreciate that he spoke for the people who have no voice, and took the initiative in an area where he felt "be makom shein ish..."
But my issue was specifically with the fact that he did not do it in a bakovodic manner. He publicly called out people with out stating that he attempted to address this quietly. He called out an entire community on their lack of middos and new Ani maamins. You say he didn't scream at anyone. So is being better than abusive good? Does it make it ok to be mevazaeh someone berabim because u sprinkled in maamarei chazal? Also does that help make ur speech constructive? Was this an excercise in beat up on Lakewood, or was he trying to make a change? Because his speech included no ideas for change. And invited no one to present any.

The way I hear it, he's been trying to change things quietly for a long time and it hasn't helped. So he obviously felt that there is no choice but to say it publicly. And I don't know, but maybe he's already said all of his ideas for change, and nobody was listening. So he's past that and now he just said what he felt he had to say. Good for him.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:42 pm
Not necessarily.. At a BMG tent event , Dr R Roberts was given a prepared speech by Aron Kotler, and promised to use it
Then he turned the tables and said what he wanted to without warning

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:43 pm
really?! that's awesome! lol Smile

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm trying to remember anything, anything at all, from the symbolic logic class I took years ago.
I think my head's about to explode.

Pinkfridge, I found that confusing as well. Also sourstix suggested that I misinterpreted what mr rechnitz said because I was so full of anger. And suggested I calm down. I am neither angry nor frenzied, and am curious what about my posts mislead her.
I do find this conversation really interesting though, so tx everyone for sharing ur pov

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:51 pm
Funny fmt4, this totally reminded me of the Internet assifah. Where lots of learned and powerful people railed against Internet use. But provided no alternative. So a few ppl left feeling inspired and closed their Facebook account. And then a few months, or maybe even a whole year later forgot why they did, and moved on to Twitter, Pinterest, or...
I kinda feel like this speech will go the same way. Because he did not make any suggestions for change, nor did he invite anyone else to do so. And that feels really disappointing to me. Missed opportunity

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
School and home need to be the same voice

As in Schul und haus (available in English) by Rav Joseph Breuer.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:01 pm
solo wrote:
Tigerwife, at the end of the day his speech does not answer all of the questions he raised either. That was part of my point. He had lots of criticism, but not even one suggestion or hint of an idea on how to directly address the problem.

I admit again I haven't listened to it yet. But is no one in contact with him now regarding this speech, and working together to resolve everything now that he made a whole public shpiel?

I'm assuming his point was to help and not to shame?

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:13 pm
I d love to be in contact with him regarding his speech:) He didn't include any contact info in his speech, but if anybody has it...

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:23 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I admit again I haven't listened to it yet. But is no one in contact with him now regarding this speech, and working together to resolve everything now that he made a whole public shpiel?

I'm assuming his point was to help and not to shame?

I can say with certainlty that hes no idiot that wants to be called out on this, and he has a VERY well thought out, detailed plan that he is working on with those who can affect a change, and we'll hear about it sooner or later. He just isnt consulting with us Imamothers, who cant pull the right strings at this time, nor does he have to!

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:30 pm
anonymous beige, I don't ordinarily seek out to give people advice on tell them how to do their thing. In this case he kinda invited me (and the rest of us imamothers) to get involved. or did he not? did he get up at a community dinner (which he had to know would be viewed by people around the world) to publicly shame, complain, or vent? or was he asking/ inviting us to make a change?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:36 pm
solo wrote:
anonymous beige, I don't ordinarily seek out to give people advice on tell them how to do their thing. In this case he kinda invited me (and the rest of us imamothers) to get involved. or did he not? did he get up at a community dinner (which he had to know would be viewed by people around the world) to publicly shame, complain, or vent? or was he asking/ inviting us to make a change?

Are you a school administrator? Are you a parent putting pressure on the school not to accept yenem because they arent as elite and illustrious as you? If not, I dont think he was asking for your help per se...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:54 pm
glutenless wrote:
Do you see small improvements, I don't. What are those small improvements you're referring to?

As far as criticizing an entire community, I don't feel criticized. Because I don't try to get into the most elite schools, I don't call schools to ask that other families be ostracized, and I have called schools to try to help people get their kids into school. If anyone feels criticized, maybe it's because they deserve it.

Instead of seeing a man with no Bein Adam L'Chavero, I see a man who cares so much about other people that he got up and said this speech. He is so pained that he felt he had no choice. And honestly, nobody is listening to the little guys, they will only listen to someone like him. So thank you to R' Rechnitz for giving a voice to all the "little guys" in this town.

Well said.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 10:13 pm
But blush amother, he wasn't addressing his speech to school administrators or one subset of parents. He was addressing a cross section of yidden. At a community dinner.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics