Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Have you tried vitamins and then turned to ritalin?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:52 am
Looking to hear from people who tried vitamins for anxiety and impulsiveness but ended up using ritalin.

Please tell me about your experience before you medicated your son.

Are you happy that you medicated?

chicco

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:58 am
I have no experience in these matters, but I do have a friend launching a whole new business about natural alternatives for behavioral issues. She's spent years doing research. PM for details.

smss

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:09 pm
My (limited) understanding is that dietary changes are much more effective/necessary in addressing ADHD than vitamins. Actually, that statement is probably true for everything.

(What vitamins do you mean, btw?)

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:26 pm
I tried every natural thing for years!
switched schools (more then once as I blamed the school for not working with him)!
Made our family lives miserable

finally at 12 I put my son on ritalin - it changed his life! I saved his life but I have major regrets at waiting so long -- his self esteem was ruined. My marriage was affected and who knows what else

I have younger kids that I recognized the adhd and treated in advance and it's a huge difference

Also you should just know it's not just ritalin - if you do it with coaching you have much better results! - and coaching isn't always the child but sometimes the parents (as in my case as my child was not cooperative) in how to best deal and help the child.

I have no regrets - I only regret not starting earlier.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:28 pm
We didn't try vitamins, but we did try many different dietary changes- I.e.: gluten, dairy, dyes....nothing made a significant difference.
Also, Ritalin (and its generic) was not the first medication we tried.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:48 pm
Fish oils, vitamins, therapy.....all a waste of time prior to meds.
Started my child on meds at age 9 and my only regret is not having done it sooner. He is now the most well adjusted, happy, healthy, responsible young man at the top of his class. I can tell you with certainty this would not have happened without the stability that meds provided him. No regrets.
Also, Ritalin is only one of many, many options. Use only a well recommended child psychiatrist for this and continue regular follow-ups. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics