Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Assur to take a baby out before the pidyon?
1  2  Next

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:55 pm
Is not taking a baby out before the pidyon haben minhag or halacha?

ecs

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:58 pm
never heard of it being either

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:58 pm
I never heard of that. I took mine out as soon as I felt well enough.

gibberish

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:00 pm
I never heard of this

5mom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:03 pm
Neither. It's being cautious with a newborn and his immature immune system. This was especially important in the days before antibiotics.

Just because some people do something doesn't give it the status of a minhag. Ask your pediatrician for guidance.

wifenmother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:11 pm
There are some chasidish kehillos (Skver for one) that have a minhag for a kimpeturin not to go out before 30 days postpartum. The OP might be equating the new mother not going out with the newborn not going out.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:13 pm
I'm the op- It's definitely a Moroccan minhag. Not only that, but they don't take an baby (regardless of gender or birth order) out for 40 days. I was just wondering if it was rooted in halacha, or just one of the multitudes of Moroccan customs.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:17 pm
never heard of it.
We do have minhag that new mother goes to shul for her first outing and shouldn't leave home before (except for dr visits and anything necessary).

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:18 pm
I've never heard Moroccans make an issue about the mother. It's specifically the baby. And they immediately place a hamsa, salt, a knife, and garlic under the baby's mattress, but that's obviously "minhag-ish" against ayin hara

2cents

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:19 pm
I have chassidic (skver) who don't go out and don't take the baby out for a month (maybe it's 40 days, dk). I have also heard from sephardic friends that the mother doesn't go out alone for a while after birth.

Seeing as op is sephardic, I would recommend checking r'ovadia and the Ben ish chai to see if this custom constitutes a minhag, and perhaps may have halachic or kabbalistic origins.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the op- It's definitely a Moroccan minhag. Not only that, but they don't take an baby (regardless of gender or birth order) out for 40 days. I was just wondering if it was rooted in halacha, or just one of the multitudes of Moroccan customs.

Just curious about how this works. Obviously if you gave birth in a hospital you had to take the baby out to get home. What about doctors appointments? I always took all my newborns to the doctor within the first week to check them over and make sure their weight gain was OK, and then again at 1 month. Often I took them multiple other times as well, such as when the bilirubin was high and being monitored to see if the bris could be on time, or one who had a low birth weight and needed to be watched to make sure he was gaining adequately. And of course there are always plenty of things I need to take care off. Do the mother's really not go shopping or do carpool for an entire 40 days, or do they have someone else to watch the baby?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:22 pm
my niece's russian friend does not allow anyone to see the baby before 30 days - except for the bris they do not leave the house

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:26 pm
Taking the baby from the hospital and to dr.'s appointments are permitted, but if the mother needs to go out she gets a babysitter

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Taking the baby from the hospital and to dr.'s appointments are permitted, but if the mother needs to go out she gets a babysitter

OK, that sounds more workable. It's funny because in my frame of reference where I never heard of this concept, it seems so strange to me to leave such a young baby with a babysitter. I would never leave a baby less than 6 weeks old with a babysitter -- I'm much more comfortable bringing him with me! Also I EBF on demand, so I would probably be nervous the whole time what if the baby wants to eat while I'm gone. . . (by 6 weeks or so the baby goes longer stretches between feedings and by that point I've usually started pumping so baby can have a bottle if necessary.)

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
Is not taking a baby out before the pidyon haben minhag or halacha?

Definitely not Halacha.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
I've never heard Moroccans make an issue about the mother. It's specifically the baby. And they immediately place a hamsa, salt, a knife, and garlic under the baby's mattress, but that's obviously "minhag-ish" against ayin hara

I'm Moroccan and it's definitely an issue for the mother. Mother nor baby do not go out unless absolutely necessary for 30 days, due to evil eye. Also, the mother is supposed to sit for 40 days. Someone else drives carpool; we aren't misogynists. The mother has a right to recover for 40 days.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 5:18 pm
I'd love to see a study on whether women with these minhagim get to mikva sooner than those of us who are expected to run around again as soon as possible.

mazal555

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 5:22 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
I'd love to see a study on whether women with these minhagim get to mikva sooner than those of us who are expected to run around again as soon as possible.

I'd like to see the differences in the rates of prolapse, PPD, postpartum hemorrhage...
Women's bodies haven't fundamentally changed since the days when lying-in was universal to all cultures. Millennial woman are twice as likely to die having children than their mothers were.

We think we are smarter than our grandmothers were. Maybe we aren't.

JerseyShore

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 5:51 pm
I'm Moroccan, mother of BEH 55555 ten children.

We did not go out or take the baby out for 40 days unless we have to (ie. doctor, grocery, car pool, etc).

What we specifically avoid is social situations ie. going to synagogue, weddings, visiting etc.

We also do not host guests during this postpartum time. Anyone who comes over during the first 40 days is expected to help with food, the children, house, groceries etc. and not to be entertained or hosted.

The first outing after 40 days is to the synagogue where the husband says gomel for his wife for recovering from childbirth. I know that today many women say it for themselves but in my day the husband said it.

I went to the mikveh no later than 6 weeks with each baby. Among the women of my generation, it was considered a big problem if you couldn't go by six weeks.

I lived in a Chassidishe neighborhood and this was also the minhag among Satmar, Belz, Vishnitz.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:41 am
Some don't take mom and baby out during kimpeturin. There is a Sefardic equivalent.
Machzor Vitry already mentions it. http://tinyurl.com/jacfsmb
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions