Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you shop in stores where the workers hover over you?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:42 pm
I went to a toy store today that I've been to many times. It's a chain store and pretty big. They have the security thingy when you leave and a security guard. The security guard wasn't the one I was used to. They also have lockers to leave your bags before shopping. I understand. There's a lot of theft in this country and they take precautions.

I came in with an empty bag because I just came from dropping clothing at the cleaners. He told me to put it in the locker. I did. I don't own or use a purse. My ds and I went through the store and nobody bothered us. Someone asked us if we needed help and helped us and that was it.

They didn't have what I was looking for, but my ds asked me if I can get him something small. Near the registers are a bunch of small items, so my ds was looking at the cars seeing which one he wanted. I noticed the security guard at the end of the registers (no one was manning the registers at the time) watching us. That annoyed me because where in the world would I even hide anything. It's the summer. It's not like we're wearing coats. Anyway, we moved a little to the side out of his view because we found another display of cars my ds was checking out. I saw he moved on the other side to see us better. I felt a little bad for my ds, but I left in a huff and puff and didn't anything. I do not hate shopping when people hover over me.

I've been to many stores that do this and I usually either don't buy anything if I can help. I might see something I like right away Rolling Eyes LOL .

So, what about you?

nywife

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:58 pm
I hate it. If it's a clothing store it's even worse. There's one store near me that actually has nice clothing but they have attendants who stand by the fitting rooms and do nothing but stare or comment. Can't stand it.

Delores

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 12:59 pm
Sorry to sidetrack but if you don't use a purse where do you keep your wallet and phone and keys and tissues and spare pacifier and gum?

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 1:13 pm
nywife wrote:
I hate it. If it's a clothing store it's even worse. There's one store near me that actually has nice clothing but they have attendants who stand by the fitting rooms and do nothing but stare or comment. Can't stand it.

Yup, there's a clothing store here that does it too. Can't stand it. I only go in there when one of my teenagers "has nothing to wear" and "can't find anything" anywhere else.

I hate when people hover over me, and besides, I would like to have a semi-private conversation with my dd's about what they're trying on. Also, you kind of lose your credibility when you rave to someone about how gorgeous that outfit looks on them, when it clearly doesn't. If you turn to me next and tell me the same thing about what I'm trying on, that outfit is going right back on the rack.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:27 pm
Delores wrote:
Sorry to sidetrack but if you don't use a purse where do you keep your wallet and phone and keys and tissues and spare pacifier and gum?

Don't use a wallet, just cash. My kids never used a pacifier except for in the bed and only one of the them, but my youngest is 5 k'h. When I needed those paraphanelia (sp?) I would either throw it under the stroller or had a baby bag. Gum? Why would I have or need gum on me? I put my cash, phone, and key in my pockets. I have two keys.

cm

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:34 pm
Two different things are being discussed here:

1. Being observed by security. Maybe there was something about the way you were moving around the store that aroused suspicion, however innocently on your part. Maybe the guard thinks you're pretty. Maybe he was bored. It wouldn't bother me too much.

2. Being "helped" by overly attentive sakes staff. I would leave.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:54 pm
Regarding sales people. I read once that a study was done, and found that upscale stores with "snooty" sales people actually made more sales than when the sales people were trained to be friendly and smile. Go figure.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 3:19 pm
I am a very easy shopper. I know right away if I like something or not, and of its fits right and the price is right and I need it I just buy it. It get me very nervous when I am already making the purchase and the salelady starts raving about the product as I am paying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics