Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Support group for the parenting of an only child

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:30 pm
I am wondering if there exists some sort of support group (obviously frum, Jewish) for the parenting of only children. I have a 7 and half year old daughter and I am finding that there are specific areas that I struggle with because my daughter is an only child. I have tried looking online to see if such a group exists but so far no luck. I know there are support groups for parents of multiples but it makes sense to have a support group for parents of only children as well. TIA if anyone comes up with a lead here.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:37 pm
ATIME has some secondary infertility stuff including parents of only children. I don't know much about it as I'm primary myself, but you could sign up at atime.org and see what they have.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:44 pm
My biological DD was pretty much raised as an only. Her step siblings were living independently or off at college. I didn't find her any different to raise than the previous 4. They are all unique and come with their own special quirks.

Kay

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:48 pm
Thanks, esheschayil for your response - I never thought of ATIME - I will try that although it's not that I want support over the fact that I have an only child, although there is an element of that, that affects the parenting of my child, I am really looking for parenting strategies and a place I can share and find support. But thanks, I will look into the ATIME option.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:52 pm
Interesting idea! I am a mother of an only child and I do agree that we have some challenges which other moms don't relate to. I'm divorced though, if it makes a difference.

cm

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 2:53 pm
I am also the mother of an only child. I'm not aware of such a support group. If you have any questions, please feel free to share them here, or PM me.

Kay

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 3:25 pm
Thanks magentayenta, Anon Pumpkin and cm for your responses - yes there definitely are challenges - maybe the solution would be to start such a support group and see what happens.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 4:35 pm
12yo DD is also an only child, and it can be a real challenge at times. I'd be interested in some sort of group, so you can add me to the contact list. Very Happy

November

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 4:39 pm
I have a friend who is the mom of 1 child at present (he's about 6 or 7) and she goes to a support group meeting in Jerusalem about once a month. I can try to find out more specifics for those of you in Israel. PM me.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:04 pm
November wrote:
I have a friend who is the mom of 1 child at present (he's about 6 or 7) and she goes to a support group meeting in Jerusalem about once a month. I can try to find out more specifics for those of you in Israel. PM me.
Im not the OP, but would love to hear more about that.
OP, I also have a daughter who is almost 8. She is not an only by choice Sad
What if you just start a thread here and we can call it the parenting support thread or something. That would be amazing.

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:58 am
What you're saying makes a lot of sense. I know mothers of large families who end up with the youngest somehow born years later - everyone is mostly out of the house.

They say the same thing.
The only child is bored, also spends much more time alone or alone with a parent. The automatic busyness of siblings to play with isn't there. They can become more spoiled and less independent, because their mother can give them more time and attention whereas in a bigger family, the child will learn to dress themselves, pour them own cereal (insert older age examples) because the mother isn't available to do everything for them. Of course the extra attention can be beneficial too -

Having a parenting class sounds like an excellent idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children