Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
ISO Williamsburg style silk head wrap
1  2  3  Next

chag334

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:16 pm
B"H

Not sure what it's called. Where can I purchase the silk tichels the Williamsburg chassidishe women wear? Preferably one that ties or is pre-tied because I'd like extra material draping down, not just a hat-style. Online only if that exists Smile

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:17 pm
They're just regular designer square silk scarves, which you can find at any department store or boutique.

http://usa.hermes.com/la-maiso......html

Fave

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:19 pm
Don't be shocked by the prices on Maya's link. Hermes is an expensive designer name.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:22 pm
Fave wrote:
Don't be shocked by the prices on Maya's link. Hermes is an expensive designer name.

It also happens to be the most popular brand used by the women, which is why I chose this link. Other brands include Burberry and Valentino.

There's a reason why I included the word "designer" in my first post.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:25 pm
Maya wrote:
It also happens to be the most popular brand used by the women, which is why I chose this link. Other brands include Burberry and Valentino.

There's a reason why I included the word "designer" in my first post.

I'm chassidish and I don't own brand name tichels.

I have a white silk one for shabbos. No brand at all.

I think I also have a colored polyester one somewhere. Not everyone you see with that look wears brand name scarves, or even real silk.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:27 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I'm chassidish and I don't own brand name tichels.

I have a white silk one for shabbos. No brand at all.

I think I also have a colored polyester one somewhere. Not everyone you see with that look wears brand name scarves, or even real silk.

I'm specifically talking about the women who wear shpitzlech. I have several friends who do so; they are not stylish women at all yet they only wear silk designer scarves, and I have been told that the majority of women do this.

I apologize, I didn't realize the OP was talking about the kind of scarves worn to shul over a sheitel or on Friday night (although most of those are designer, too.) I automatically assumed she meant a shpitzel.

Last edited by Maya on Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:27 pm
If you probably have a colored polyester somewhere, you're obviously not wearing a shpitzel. I think OP is referring to that.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:32 pm
I'm amused at the attempt to deny that the overwhelming majority of women who wear shpitzels wear them with designer silk scarves.

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:35 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm specifically talking about the women who wear shpitzlech. I have several friends who do so; they are not stylish women at all yet they only wear silk designer scarves, and I have been told that the majority of women do this.

I apologize, I didn't realize the OP was talking about the kind of scarves worn to shul over a sheitel or on Friday night (although most of those are designer, too.) I automatically assumed she meant a shpitzel.

I am not chassidish, and I was in a teichal store in Monroe recently and the prices ranged from $10 to $170. I have also been shopping with friends in Century 21and they bought silk scarfs there. OP, you can try Century 21 on line.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:41 pm
Squishy wrote:
I am not chassidish, and I was in a teichal store in Monroe recently and the prices ranged from $10 to $170. I have also been shopping with friends in Century 21and they bought silk scarfs there. OP, you can try Century 21 on line.

Century 21 sells brand name scarves, and yes, that is where a lot of women get theirs from.

Perhaps, hopefully, standards have changed from the time when I was into it. I remember comparing net cost of a sheitel vs. shpitzel with my friends when we were getting married, and the total of their scarves accumulated over the first few years amounted to similar amount of all three of my wigs combined. Smile

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:45 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm amused at the attempt to deny that the overwhelming majority of women who wear shpitzels wear them with designer silk scarves.

I wouldn't know about that.

OP described leaving fabric hanging so I assumed she meant the kind of tichel I have.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:47 pm
OP hasn't clarified yet exactly which style she meant.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:47 pm
Considering the title, though, OP probably did mean shpitzels.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 6:48 pm
OP, I know a lot of women buy their scarves on MyHabit, which is a daily flash sale site/app, when the prices are relatively good on the designer scarves.

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:07 pm
She can do a turban liner with a scarf. That could be relatively cheap.

chag334

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:39 pm
Wow thanks for the feedback!! That's really helpful. So I saw a few rebbish type women (im assuming that term is not deragatory. If it is please let me know and I'll remove it immediately. I mean ultra chassidish looking, in all the best ways!) who I really look up to in terms of the way they carry themselves. Very regal but also very simple and not gashmiustike looking. A plain burgundy cardigan, black a-line skirt, and they had a sheitels (the kind where only the bang shows) underneath a long beautiful tied silk scarf. They either tied it themselves or it was a pre-tie; it had longish ends hanging down. idk if that provides any clarity or not! I don't know how else to describe it.

My second question is, how on earth do you get SILK to stay on top of a sheitel?!? Sounds like some kinda crazy magic to me Smile

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:42 pm
chag334 wrote:
Wow thanks for the feedback!! That's really helpful. So I saw a few rebbish type women (im assuming that term is not deragatory. If it is please let me know and I'll remove it immediately. I mean ultra chassidish looking, in all the best ways!) who I really look up to in terms of the way they carry themselves. Very regal but also very simple and not gashmiustike looking. A plain burgundy cardigan, black a-line skirt, and they had a sheitels (the kind where only the bang shows) underneath a long beautiful tied silk scarf. They either tied it themselves or it was a pre-tie; it had longish ends hanging down. idk if that provides any clarity or not! I don't know how else to describe it.

My second question is, how on earth do you get SILK to stay on top of a sheitel?!? Sounds like some kinda crazy magic to me Smile

Was it just two ends of what looked like a pretied hanging down? There's a certain way that they tie the square, it's very complicated and I wouldn't know how to describe it Smile

The tichels are held in place with pins.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:45 pm
chag334 wrote:

I believe they use pretty hatpins to pin the silk in place. Like a long straight pin with a tiny fake pearl on the end or something like that.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:47 pm
Maya wrote:
Was it just two ends of what looked like a pretied hanging down? There's a certain way that they tie the square, it's very complicated and I wouldn't know how to describe it Smile

The tichels are held in place with pins.

Lol I would actually love to know how they tie the shpitzlech, they look really pretty. I wear scarves all summer and though I've tried wrapunzel tutorials the only one I've mastered is wrapping the ends around the bun. I love the crisscross look with all ends tucked in but haven't been able to successfully copy it.

naomi6

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:54 pm
Someone who wears a shpitzel deserves a lot of credit - so they go out and buy designer scarves still cheaper than custom wigs
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels