Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
ISO Williamsburg style silk head wrap
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 4:55 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol I would actually love to know how they tie the shpitzlech, they look really pretty. I wear scarves all summer and though I've tried wrapunzel tutorials the only one I've mastered is wrapping the ends around the bun. I love the crisscross look with all ends tucked in but haven't been able to successfully copy it.

I think it's really hard. I imagine the kallahs spend half their engagement practicing Smile

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 5:57 pm
OP, if you say the pieces hang in the back, why not tie it like a triangle, like you would do on your hair, except on top of your Sheitel?

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 7:26 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol I would actually love to know how they tie the shpitzlech, they look really pretty. I wear scarves all summer and though I've tried wrapunzel tutorials the only one I've mastered is wrapping the ends around the bun. I love the crisscross look with all ends tucked in but haven't been able to successfully copy it.

It is fairly easy to do with a turban liner. I was able to achieve the look the very first time using an Israeli cotton scarf and a turban liner. It looked fine and neat.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:00 am
Like Squishy, I also wear a plain turban with a wrapped scarf.

I like the turbans from Headcovers Unlimited (headcovers.com). They have a variety of styles that work well with scarves or other accents.

Sometimes I get frustrated by the fact that hair covering styles are expected to serve as identification badges, telling everyone what group you belong to; where in the group you fall in terms of history and hashkafa; and possibly even your blood type. If the shape of your face or your head doesn't fit with your group's preferred style, then tough luck!

While I normally wear a shaitel when I go out, I don't like wearing one at home, and it would be nice to feel well-dressed when I run out to the store.

I obviously don't wear a shpitzel/tichel. That would be downright weird on a Litvish/Yeshivish woman and my friends assure me it's just as aggravating to maintain. However, those pre-tied thingies get turned around and slide off. Wearing anything that has a knot in back gets caught on my coat or jacket. The "Wrapunzel" look is more appealing, but it never looks as neat on me as in the videos.

So I wear the "Trinity" turban from Headcovers Unlimited with a Hermes-style scarf wrapped around and pinned underneath to give a little volume and look more "daytime formal" than the other alternatives.

Sadie

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:27 am
gp2.0 wrote:

I was once told that in order to achieve the look that the scarf has with the shpitzel or the bangs front, that women wear a foam liner underneath. Is that true or was this person messing with me? I have never seen such a thing in any headwear shops.

Btw I'm also a wrapunzel user, I almost always wear the turban style with the crisscross and the ends tucked. Do you use a shaper? For me it would never work if I was trying to do it with my own bun, the whole thing would probably fall right off my head.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:38 am
Sadie wrote:
Do you use a shaper?

The problem I have with the shapers is that they add volume at the back or crown of your head. I need volume on top, but if you shift the stuffing, it's too much volume.

Years ago, and I'm talking decades, when snoods were popular, they used to make some with foam inserted into the headband section that gave a bit of volume. But now the pre-tied tichels are popular, and their construction doesn't lend itself to adding extra volume to elongate chubby faces.

BTW, it's not just us. A couple of years ago, I read that Muslim leaders were questioning the propriety of using a volumizer under one's hijab. Apparently this has become popular in affluent Arab countries. The women interviewed in the article explained that the volumizers helped keep their hijabs in place and kept them from looking like "grandmothers."

Sadie

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:50 am
Fox wrote:
The problem I have with the shapers is that they add volume at the back or crown of your head. I need volume on top, but if you shift the stuffing, it's too much volume.

Years ago, and I'm talking decades, when snoods were popular, they used to make some with foam inserted into the headband section that gave a bit of volume. But now the pre-tied tichels are popular, and their construction doesn't lend itself to adding extra volume to elongate chubby faces.

BTW, it's not just us. A couple of years ago, I read that Muslim leaders were questioning the propriety of using a volumizer under one's hijab. Apparently this has become popular in affluent Arab countries. The women interviewed in the article explained that the volumizers helped keep their hijabs in place and kept them from looking like "grandmothers."

I think I read the same thing. The look is (probably mockingly) called "conehead hijab". Guys are feeling tricked, thinking that the girls they're courting have long, gorgeous, flowing locks under the scarf!

A non-religious aunt of mine, when she saw me after my wedding, said, "wow, your hair must be all the way down to your butt to make such a big bun!" I told her about shapers.

I do have one shaper that I wear with knit hats that is kind of like a big fluffy headband. It doesn't put any volume on the back of my head, just fills out the hat a little. The other type just gives me a solid bun that I can wrap the scarf around; contrary to what my aunt said it's not very big.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:58 am
Fox, there are pretieds that have the foam piece in the headband section. My mother wears those because of how unflattering the flat ones are.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:00 am
Maya wrote:
Fox, there are pretieds that have the foam piece in the headband section. My mother wears those because of how unflattering the flat ones are.

Where does she get them?

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:06 am
Fox wrote:
Where does she get them?

I would assume in the Williamsburg stores, dry goods or headgear ones.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:11 am
Maya wrote:
I would assume in the Williamsburg stores, dry goods or headgear ones.

What was I thinking? I knew that would be the answer. And who remembers the names of these emporiums?

Well, maybe I can wrangle a trip to NY out of the whole thing. After you've gotten rid of your snow. Or I could just ask a friend to pick one up, but what fun is that?

Growing

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:13 am
The look the OP is describing is acheived as follows [from my discussion with one of these ladies at the sheitel macher]

1. Sheitel. Realize that the sheitel is pretty much thinned down in the back as only the front is styled to be showing.

2. Place a tichel liner - which can be found in chasidishe dry good stores sometimes or at the shpitzel seller, or tichel store. These are adjusted to the persons head and come in black or white. It looks like a cotton material with a very thin foam sewn in at the front end.

3. Tie the tichel - pretty neat the way this gets done. Or wear what came to be known as an 'e-z bind' which is custom sewn from spandex and comes in two parts - the one placed right on top of the tichel liner and the band which goes on top of that - but than you don' have the ties hanging down.

I tried explaining to the best of my ability in my limited time here!

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:21 am
Maya wrote:

The turban liner I was referring to is white cotton piece that goes under the tichel or under a snood. LOL - I don't think they go under a turban although they may have before turbans became so high. It has cotton batting that encircles the face about 1/4 inch thick and about 3 inches back. It gives a very refined look and is light weight and breathable. It has an elastic on the back that you can pull a pony through if you have one. They sell them in stores in Monsey, Monroe, Williamsburg, etc. They are very cheap.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:23 am
The ones I'm talking about have the foam piece sewn into the fabric at the front. It's not a separate thing.

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:49 am
Maya wrote:
The ones I'm talking about have the foam piece sewn into the fabric at the front. It's not a separate thing.

I know what you are talking about. This piece is cotton batting and not foam. The foam is too hor for me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 8:21 am
(I got a pretied with foam in it from Hats to Hose in Baltimore several years ago.)

pumpernickle

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 5:20 pm
Try orientcharm88.com for awesome silk scarves

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 5:30 pm
Can someone please explain, is there a difference between a shpitzle and clip in bangs?

I have clip in bangs, but I feel really weird wearing them, because every time I do, someone comments "Oh, I didn't know that you showed your hair in front!" so I worry about maris ayin.

I am a huge Wrapunzel fan, and I love her basic tichel liner. Just a tiny amount of volume in the back, and the build in wig grip makes all the difference in the world.

Maya

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 5:45 pm
A shpitzel is threads, not hair. The ones with a sheitels as bangs is called a "front." No one would mistaken that for hair in their communities because most of those women shave their hair.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 5:50 pm
I've tried to google for a picture of a shpitzle, and I can't find anything at all. Is is a big secret? It's like the Bermuda Triangle or something!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels