Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is anyone or their DH a software developer?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:49 am
I'm looking to find out more about this profession, specifically, if there are many opportunities for people who know mainly classic ASP.

I'm thinking particularly about the UK but would like to hear what the situation is in other countries too.

How does one learn/ get proficient in the more modern languages?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:59 am
what language are you talking about? java, c+?
you can read a book if you have basic understanding of it. murach's c+ is supposed to be a pretty good book on c+ (or so my husb says...)

vicki

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:15 am
Can't speak for the UK but in the US and Israel -
Classic ASP alone won't get you very far.
In a .NET environment combined with HTML, CSS, C#/VB.NET, JavaScript will get you places.

e1234

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:42 am
I am web developer

I do program in asp classic thought it isn't used so much any more and if your stating out I would not recommend starting it

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:59 am
Thanks for the replies. It's about my DH but I don't know how else to find info.

He has used classic ASP for years and had been in his current position for about 8 years. He uses HTML and JavaScript too but NOT C+, C++, C#, ASP.NET.

He thinks that to get a job using one of the more modern languages above he would need to start again from the beginning in a low salaried position earning around half what he currently gets. Is that the case?

He has used C# in hiscurrent job but only a little and he had to keep googling things.

Amother, hasn't C+ been superceded by other things now? I know it isn't obsolete but most f the advertisements I have seen have been asking for C++ or C#

Also, does anyone know anything about Python? I have noticed that jobs asking for that are paying way more than others. Sometimes twice as much or more. Why is that?

e1234

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:08 pm
I personally feel that once you know one language you can easily pick up others

I work in asp classic but I also work in other languages

there is a learning curve but if he has worked programming for so many years then it's not like starting from the beginning again.

shatzileh

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 8:57 am
I'm a software developer. We look for experience in the languages we need, but also recognize that developers are usually good at picking up other languages.

If you want to pick up a new language, pick up a book or tutorial, but then START CODING. Write interesting code, and put it on github. Work on opensource projects. You'll be picking up the language and developing a portfolio in whatever language it is you want to get a job in.

(edit for typo)

Last edited by shatzileh on Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

kollel wife

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:03 am
I am a experienced programmer working in older stuff, but have professionally retrained in java, html/css, javascript,jquery, sql too - but that I already had experience for in my current job.

I would love a part time internship - while continuing with my current job.

Any developer reading this whose company would be interested in such a thing????

My current environment is a very comprehensive order,inventory, manufacturing system.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:10 am
Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful.

My husband's main worry is that he is currently paid very well as a senior developer with lots of experience of classic ASP. He has been in his current position for 7 years and has not had any opportunity to develop his skills in that time. He has used a bit of other languages here and there in his current job, but does not feel he would be able to get a job working predominantly in those languages unless he applied for low paid junior position.

In short, he thinks he has hit a stone wall with his current job and while that position is very secure and well paid, we need to relocate and there don't seem to be many opportunities out there for people with his current skill set.

Does anyone know of any forums specifically for software developers where I could find out more about how to progress in this field?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:54 am
my husband is a programmer in America. He said that most people don't really use only classic ASP anymore. He said if your husband got a new job he would NOT be starting all over again, that it's not like that with programming. If your husband's a good programmer, he's a good programmer. He encourages him to learn a new language.

I can ask him if he knows of any forums for computer programmers.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 5:07 am
Thanks so much!

He does use other stuff too, but not asp.net or java except for a few odd occasions when he's ended up having to google a lot of what he needed to do.

We've noticed that most of the jobs out there are asking for asp.net/ C#, C++ or Java.

He is also not a very confident person and has been quite negative about his prospects of getting another job using the more modern languages. I think it's that he's been doing the same thing for so long and is considered one of the top programmers in his work (which is a major international company.)

How should he learn another language? From a book?

He said there is no point in doing that because things are changing so rapidly that it would be obselete in a few months, but that doesn't seem to me to be likely (although I'm not a programmer and don't know anything about the profession really.)

Does anyone know anything about Python? Why does that attract such a higher salary?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics