Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are all the rechnitz threads getting locked

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 8:08 am
I didnt notice to much more than peoples personal oppinions. Just curious why it happens

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 8:47 am
I was going to post this on the longer, general thread locking thread but will post it here instead. Maybe someone will merge the threads:

The problem with the threads is that they all devolve the same ad hominem way:
- Besmirching the messenger
- Indicting a whole city and naming specific names
- Accusing anyone who dissents as being part of the problem.

I think the threads could have stayed open, even with heated discussion, without those missteps and I guess that it's too tiresome for the moderators to clean things up.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:06 am
I used to get upset years back when threads were getting looked and deleted on a whim .
Now I see it's just par for the course for charedim. IRL, I was talking with a group of ladies one shabbos. They said the sems teach the girls too much it's going to scare the boys away. I said so let the boys learn more seriously and know more
They totally froze me out and pretended I wasn't there
And this was close friends I have known for over 30 years..
Dogma trumps blood and friendship any day..

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:14 am
you were friends with someone for 30 years and now they froze you out and ignored you over one comment?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:02 am
What does 'ad hominem' mean

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:10 am
It means attacking the person making an argument rather than addressing the argument itself.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:25 am
causemommysaid wrote:
you were friends with someone for 30 years and now they froze you out and ignored you over one comment?

Yup

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:41 am
No I dont have a child who needs a school, or ever did, B"H, but Im listening to the speech for about the 5th time. To me, this is the most inspiring shiur Ive heard in many years. Im amazed how someone can talk brilliantly from the heart on the topic of Authentic Ahavas Yisroel for 55 minutes, filled with non-stop facts and tremendous emotion, and I imagine without cue cards, and not forget what to say next. He said what many many many people are thinking and were hoping someone of importance would have the guts to say. Others would have been laughed at, shamed, and yelled off the stage, if they were anyone else. But Rechnitz said it.

Im sure Hashem was applauding Rechnitz for his lightening the load on many people's hearts, by them feeling someone of importance cares about them and is willing to help fight their battle.

We are one people, Hashem's children. My cries for help are just as important as your cries for help, and the reverse, as well.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
I didnt notice to much more than peoples personal oppinions. Just curious why it happens

A lot of the 'personal opinions' included lots of LH, which is against the site rules.

To be fair, there were several posters debating the speech in a very fair and non-denigrating manner.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:51 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I was going to post this on the longer, general thread locking thread but will post it here instead. Maybe someone will merge the threads:

The problem with the threads is that they all devolve the same ad hominem way:
- Besmirching the messenger
- Indicting a whole city and naming specific names
- Accusing anyone who dissents as being part of the problem.

I think the threads could have stayed open, even with heated discussion, without those missteps and I guess that it's too tiresome for the moderators to clean things up.

I also thought it was nasty that posters were anonymously attacking Rechnitz, his family, and his acquaintances, and that may have lead to the lock.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:05 am
Chayalle wrote:
I also thought it was nasty that posters were anonymously attacking Rechnitz, his family, and his acquaintances, and that may have lead to the lock.
[quote]

Yet another reason controversial topics should be amother disabled, as well as perhaps Issues of Concern to Frum Society.

The only reason I can think of for being anonymous in those cases is so that their hateful opinions are not associated with their SN, a reason I don't believe is valid. Solo was also against the speech but put up a respectable argument (I think). There are also, of course, all the comments against Lakewood in general...

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:

We agree. That's what I meant by besmirching the messenger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics