Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have a weighted blanket they dont need? Help!!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:17 am
Dd's Dr just said they no longer recommend melatonin for kids. This is the only thing that works to get her to sleep. She has spd and anxiety and does not sleep with out it.

I'm now looking for alternatives. I would try essential oils, but she has aversions to smells.

My only thought is a weighted blanket, but I can't afford one at $100 plus. Anyone have one they don't need anymore? I'll pay shipping, or up to $50 for it. She weighs about 50 pounds.

Thanks

animeme

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:06 am
Fyi, $150 for a weighted blanket is less than six months worth of daily melatonin. I'd still try to borrow from a friend for a night to see if it works, but it doesn't need to be a permanent borrow. You can also talk to a vendor and see if they'll let you return it after a night or two if you use a quilt cover.

Also, try sound (white noise, waves) and progressive relaxation. The progressive relaxation takes some time to get into, but it works really well once you get it and will be a valuable life skill for her in general.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:09 am
put bags of dried beans on top of her blanket one night, see if it makes a difference. then consider investing in a weighted blanket if it works.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:13 am
A weighted lap blanket helped her in OT.

Also, 6 months of melatonin actually costs me $30... Not 150. And I dont spend it all at one time...

animeme

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:20 am
amother wrote:

Also, 6 months of melatonin actually costs me $30... Not 150. And I dont spend it all at one time...

What brand do you use? That's $5 a month for daily use, and I'd love that info, thanks.

In the meantime, for the short run you can pile multiple blankets inside a quilt cover. It might make her warm, or it might be ok.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:35 am
http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Hea.....VTY0C

Currently on sale for $10 for 100 pills, and dd only takes half, there for we get 200 days worth for $15, when not on sale and $9, when it is on sale.

So it's actually close to a year of daily use for her at $30. Unless I'm calculating something seriously wrong...

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:39 am
How to Make a Homemade Weighted Blanket- Step By Step Instructions

http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 8:09 pm
I've wanted to get one for a while now to replace the 1/4 mg of melatonin I give ds. I found some on etsy by weighted creations that looks good. Just have to calculate how heavy it should be. They are a cheaper there than amazon or the autism website and has 300+ 5-star ratings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics