Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Rechnitz wrote an apology letter
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:15 am
amother wrote:

According to the poster who 'knows' the scoop, she made it seem like he was told that he is not welcome in Lakewood, not that his money isn't welcome. Meaning they will ruin his name if he ever tried to get up to speak. And then she thinks it's not blackmail.

IF it happened, you're right, it's blackmail. But really, all we have is one amother claiming it happened. We have no idea if anything of the sort happened. We have no way of knowing why he decided to write this letter.

Quote:
Where was this speech held?

At a dinner in Lake Terrace in Lakewood honoring Rabbi Kanarek for his 30 years in chinuch. Rabbi Kanarek has multiple elementary and high schools for girls and boys, and he's known to be the one address in Lakewood where your child will be accepted.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:24 am
glutenless wrote:
At a dinner in Lake Terrace in Lakewood honoring Rabbi Kanarek for his 30 years in chinuch. Rabbi Kanarek has multiple elementary and high schools for girls and boys, and he's known to be the one address in Lakewood where your child will be accepted.

I said in another post previously that I'm not sure where she gets her inside information so I definitely don't believe her that he was threatened. It could be he was but I don't believe it because she said so. Right now I don't believe it because she's the only one here saying so.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
I said in another post previously that I'm not sure where she gets her inside information so I definitely don't believe her that he was threatened. It could be he was but I don't believe it because she said so. Right now I don't believe it because she's the only one here saying so.

Sorry. I was really addressing her posts more than yours, but yours was the last one discussing the "threats", so I just quoted that one.

gold21

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:32 am
I am sure Mr Rechnitz was not blackmailed. Dont believe everything you read on Imamother. Perhaps he was pressured, perhaps he was just asked, and perhaps he decided to smooth things over on his own.

Blackmailed? Very doubtful. Lakewood wants to be on good terms with him. He is a powerful askan.

iluvy

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:35 am
Tirza wrote:
Reading this thread, and watching that video, it occurs to me that the opinions of half of the Jewish community (in Lakewood and elsewhere) are not being heard by the people in charge. Rabbanim and Askanim (all men) make the decisions that affect the lives of not only the men in our communities, but the women and children as well. We have no voice. We can only express our opinions to each other, in private conversations and in online forums where only women take part and where the men can not hear us. I think that it's a real problem that we don't have women in leadership positions who can represent our needs and the needs of our children.
And PLEASE, don't tell me that it's not tznius. That's nonsense. Or that we have Rebbetzins. Most don't have any real power either.
And don't tell me that a woman can always ask her husband to intervene for her. Because, yeah, all husbands are so sensitive to their wives' needs and willing to put themselves out there for her {eyes rolling}.
And please don't tell me that all of our Rabbanim are so wise that every decision they make is for the best, whether we understand it or not. That's obviously not true either, as evidenced by the many heartbroken families that suffer from this problem.
Why is this generation of Jewish women, the most well-educated and knowledgeable ever, so much more timid than our grandmothers were? We don't demand to be heard, even when we have every right to be.

This.

I was at my daughters' school dinner this week. All I could think was men, men, men. So many men on the dais, accepting awards, patting each other on the back, praising other men, giving speeches; the camera only showed the male guests. It's bad enough in general, but this is a Bais Yaakov! I'm not interested in the longest coat and the longest beard; I want to hear from the women who interact with my daughters every day and are the ones forming their school experience, and these are the people I want to go out on a weeknight to honor. Since when did Bais Yaakov become all about the men?

This also reminds me of this study:
http://thinkprogress.org/econo.....dals/
Quote:
The group looked at thousands of companies around the world and cross-referenced the proportion of women serving on a company’s board with its propensity for governance scandals such as bribe-taking, conflicts with regulators, and tensions with shareholders. It gauged a company’s diversity not only by the raw total of women on its board, but by whether or not the company went beyond the diversity requirements of local regulation for companies based in countries that require a certain share of board seats to go to women.
The resulting data set showed “a clear pattern between having higher than mandated percentages of women on boards and fewer governance-related controversies,” the analysts wrote. It also revealed that companies that take gender diversity seriously at high levels also manage risk better on the whole.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:45 am
finally listened to the speech & I really do not comprehend why a man trying to make a difference in the frum world is being knocked down for his efforts - he is human not a miracle worker - but he is standing up for what he believes

most people just sit back & complain - he gets credit for trying

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:39 pm
greenfire wrote:
finally listened to the speech & I really do not comprehend why a man trying to make a difference in the frum world is being knocked down for his efforts - he is human not a miracle worker - but he is standing up for what he believes

most people just sit back & complain - he gets credit for trying

I don't think so either. So if you say the time and place...it sounds self-evident that he could say it there because davka the people on the dais were trying to make a difference. But I get how that can rankle, and appreciate the fair conversation. It's the ad hominem that could make one Puke. And for anyone who says, if I only knew what's going on that would make me Puke too, go ahead, say it. But please, disagree without being disagreeable.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:50 pm
glutenless wrote:
Rabbi Kanarek has multiple elementary and high schools for girls and boys, and he's known to be the one address in Lakewood where your child will be accepted.

Really? I find this very hard to believe. As far as I remember, his schools are known to be very exclusive and have an elitist reputation. Anyone I know who got into one of his schools spent a lot of time bragging about it. What are you basing this on?

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:21 pm
Im still seething. Id love to get my paws on any proof that Rechnitz was coerced to write an apology, and who was involved.

Honestly I dont think he backtracked on anything, btw!

Rechnitz makes the best speech in the world encouraging the masses to be conscious of Ahavas Yisroel, and he gets Tzaros for it? Im not Mevater!

Meshuggene Velt!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Really? I find this very hard to believe. As far as I remember, his schools are known to be very exclusive and have an elitist reputation. Anyone I know who got into one of his schools spent a lot of time bragging about it. What are you basing this on?

You are the first person to say this on any of the threads.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics