Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am probably the ONLY imamother who has never...
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:40 pm
been to Israel! And not going anytime soon!

How does everyone do it? I feel like I am literally the only one in my area who has never been to Israel. And my kids. Never been and we live paycheck to paycheck, just managing to eke by every month, so how are we ever going to go?

There's no birthright trip for families. So how does everyone do it? All those people who go for yom tov and for their second cousin's bar mitzvah? How do you do it? Do you just have rich relatives? I would love to go, but isn't it like 1000 a ticket? Even on sale like 600? And to take a family? Isn't this like a $ 5000 trip?

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET????

Amother because embarrassed.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:46 pm
I have never been to Israel since I'm married. I went when I was single and working. "Everyone" doesn't go. Some people do, some are wealthy, some have somebody wealthy who sponsors it for them and some people put the things they can't afford on their credit card.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:47 pm
I went once 10 years ago as a single girl for three weeks. Never been back. Would love to but we can't afford it. DH hasn't been back since he learned there before our wedding 8 years ago. Not going anytime soon.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:48 pm
Not everyone goes. I went once in my life - our honeymoon. When my kids ask when they are going, I say when they get married

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:49 pm
Win them! LOL I was never in Israel before and only went when I won 4 tickets in a grand prize drawing.

That was 7 years ago, still awaiting my next win so I can go again

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:01 pm
We went when we were first married and had just one baby (3 years ago). So only needed two tickets and it was easy for us to travel around and sleep in different places/different people to save money, since we were not so many people. I would estimate the whole trip cost in total 5,000 (tickets, full day group tours , hotel (days not by relatives/friends), food and ect... for two weeks) Maybe start saving up just a tiny bit every month or put aside a few years of tax refund money and go just you and your husband in a few years so its not as expensive?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:19 pm
55 Never went .Not going anytime soon.
My son is learning there now.Thought I might visit him, but now my relatives offered to pay to fly him back to monsey four pesach

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:22 pm
Never. We had the opportunity when we were newly married. My mil offered us her reward miles when dhs first cousin got married. Dh didn't want to go then. I still haven't figured out why. By now he doesn't even remember why.... oh well.
Now we have a toddler and a baby. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:25 pm
I went on a birthright trip at 18/19 and havent been there since. my husband was there only once at age 3.

I think it would be nice for us to go, Beezras Hashem we should all be healthy and well, at a later stage in life. In our 50s perhaps. With Hashem's help. (But hopefully Moshiach will be here before then.)

srbmom

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:39 pm
I thought you were going to write never been to FLORIDA...that's me
and when I tell people that they look at me like I'm crazy

but I hear you on the Israel thing. I went once when I got married more than ten years ago and I can't imagine any way we'd be able to go for at least another 20!

GAP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:03 pm
Went once for a year in seminary. Only time I've been there.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:06 pm
I have no desire to go. I was at a place when terrorists attacked in a different country. And I have no desire to be at risk again.

There are trips sponsored for moms - free getaways to EY. I saw signs at my gym announcing them.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:09 pm
never been ... awaiting moshiach

babula

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:38 pm
The last time I was there was 45 years ago. Like you we lived paycheck to paycheck and never had money for luxuries let alone travel.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 11:50 pm
Yep. Although there are cheaper options (Turkish Airlines, Ukrainian Airlines). If you stay with friends/relatives, eat with them, and don't go on any organized tours, you pretty much don't have to spend money while you're there. Still, even with cheaper flights, it's a major expense.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:29 am
If you get into the credit card game, you can accumulate enough miles to pay for your tickets in a relatively short amount of time. With a little more work, you can also get points to cover your hotels there as well.

imeinu

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:38 am
credit card points.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:24 am
amother wrote:
I have no desire to go. I was at a place when terrorists attacked in a different country. And I have no desire to be at risk again.

There are trips sponsored for moms - free getaways to EY. I saw signs at my gym announcing them.

Can you find out more? I'd love to know more!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:25 am
doctorima wrote:
If you get into the credit card game, you can accumulate enough miles to pay for your tickets in a relatively short amount of time. With a little more work, you can also get points to cover your hotels there as well.

How does this work? Am I using my debit card? Right now I have enough points to buy a coffee pot. How many years until I get a ticket???

Do you have a link where I can read about it? THANKS!

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:49 am
My mother came for the first time at close to 50 when I had her first grand daughter.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics