Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
22 month age gap - do I need a double stroller?

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 4:24 am
I had a 2.5 year age gap first time around and my first child stopped using the stroller of her own accord at 22 months.

Now I have a DS who will be 22 months when the new baby arrives. My DD walked early and progressed quickly with walking so she had been a strong walker for a while when she stopped using the stroller. DS walked much later and still prefers to crawl or hold someone's hand while walking so it doesn't seem as if he's going to be such a strong walker at 22 months, not to mention that the exact time a new baby arrives is not the time to make any changes like this.

Obviously the alternatives are toddler in the stroller, baby in a carrier or baby in the stroller, toddler on a buggy board (if he's not going to walk) but I didn't get on well with carriers with ether of my first 2 children and I'm not sure how well the buggy board idea would work for a child of that age.

I have also noticed that several 3.5 year olds in DD's pre-school class are still in strollers! I don't know how long kids generally use strollers for. As I wrote, DD didn't need any encouragement to stop using it.

Thoughts?

losingweight

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 4:31 am
I love my buggy board! If your child is the type to nap in the carriage than a double stroller may be a better option. It also depends on how long you intend to have two children home if you should invest in the more expensive carriage. Or do both. Board for quick runs and double carriage for longer walks

juggling

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 5:04 am
Get the double. You'll be glad to have it for long walks and times when your toddler is too tired to stand. Do you ever get invited out Friday nights? It's worth it.

Smile1234

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 5:25 am
I have a 2.5 yr gap and am so happy I got a double. Even though older child hadn't been using the stroller so much at that age, as soon as baby showed up and went into his stroller he wanted to also.

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 6:09 am
yes

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 6:58 am
Definitely get a double stroller. It will make your life so much easier. My second to youngest is 3 1/2, so I do not have a double, and I often end up wearing the baby and pushing a sleeping ds in the stroller. Even more often, he walks and cries hysterically. If dh is with us, dh usually holds him.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 7:55 am
Yes you definately need a double stroller. I had the same age children..22 months and newborn. My daughter wouldnt let me put my newborn in the stroller until she realized thst there was a seet for her also. So when I rocked my newborn in the stroller she sat down for the ride too in the begining... also even if my daughter didnt have this issue I found that she was just to young to be walking everyware yet at thst age

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 8:18 am
I can't even believe this is a question. A 22 month old belongs in a stroller. Me personally, I keep my kids in A stroller until they are 5 years old. You don't have to get one if you don't want to, but it will make your life extraordinarily difficult.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 8:22 am
Englacha sells a buggy board seat.

There are convertible single-to-double strollers but they're usually more expensive.

Bshaa tovah!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 6:09 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
I can't even believe this is a question. A 22 month old belongs in a stroller. Me personally, I keep my kids in A stroller until they are 5 years old. You don't have to get one if you don't want to, but it will make your life extraordinarily difficult.

I understand why you are surprised at the question if you keep your kids in a stroller till they're 5 years old. I don't know anyone here who does that, and like I mentioned, my oldest was a very strong walker and "weaned" herself off the stroller at 22 months which suited me as I was expecting another baby at the time.

My son is not a strong walker though and although we still have 6 months before the new baby arrives, I can see it is going to be convenient to just put him in the stroller. I could potentially have the new baby in a carrier though until he's good enough to go on a buggy board so that's hat I'm debating.

The other important thing I forgot to mention is that we live in an apartment building and a double stroller won't fit in the elevator so I'll have to shlep it up and down several flights of stairs, so while it may make things difficult not to have a double, having one will not be as easy as it sounds!

I had a pram for my oldest in the beginning which also did not fit in the elevator and I ended up avoiding going out with it because it was such a big hassle. I put her in a stroller at 4 months and it made getting out a lot easier.

kb

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:15 am
Would any double stroller fit in the elevator? And/or could you leave the stroller downstairs?

I agree a double would be a good idea.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:46 am
kb wrote:
Would any double stroller fit in the elevator? And/or could you leave the stroller downstairs?

I agree a double would be a good idea.

No and no.

There were even some of the single strollers that would not fit in the elevator, no chance of getting a double in. We're not allowed to leave things in the communal area downstairs in the building so the only option would be to shlep it up and down the stairs.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:02 am
When I had kids 2 years apart I bought the b-ready. You can use the second seat when you need it and take it off when you want a single.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
When I had kids 2 years apart I bought the b-ready. You can use the second seat when you need it and take it off when you want a single.

Thanks!

This stroller doesn't seem to be available where I am though (I'm not in the US)

kb

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 2:44 pm
There are definitely pretty compact double strollers out there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics