Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on Shabbos?
1  2  3  4  Next

jj1236

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:28 am
Just curious after reading the thread about how much people spend on groceries during the week. It seemed to be about 150-200 but does that include Shabbos? I feel like I spend almost that much just for Shabbos... (depending if we have guests or not) otherwise this is just for 2 people.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:41 am
I'm a family of 6 and I would say approx. $150.00 is towards Shabbos, I shop only once a week and my weekly order runs between 250 and 300 but when I break it down, Shabbos is half of it.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:43 am
I spend about $200 per week averaged out over the course of a month (some weeks are more some weeks less). This includes food for shabbos as I do one weekly shopping trip and do not do a separate grocery run for shabbos. This is for 2 adults and 4 young children.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 9:57 am
2 adults 2 kids.

1 large challah and 2 small - $10
Cake - $10
2 slices salmon fillet - $7
Soup (made with chicken bottoms and bones 4 weeks at a time) - $3
Tomato dip homemade - $1
Meat - $20

So that's about $40? Round up to $50 to include partial grape juice, the occasional potato kugel etc.?

We don't do six course meals.

My weekly grocery averages about $120. I don't skimp on food. I buy chicken, meat for Shabbos, nosh etc. Sometimes $150, sometimes $90, so the average is about $120. Yom tov time $200.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:53 am
3 of us...
We probably spend about 50 to 60 a week when you include grape juice etc.
I make challah - about $3 or 4 in supplies-
Dessert-homemade-$3.
Everything else is simple. No need to spend $150! Yes, if you buy challah and dessert it will add up. We do simple meals- tasty but simple in that we don't always have fish, and no need for what I see at some homes: eggs and liver, deli, cholent, plus kugel, 2 salads...
We aim for a protein,a starch and a few vegetables. If guests, (just a couple usually for us) we might add in an extra kugel or side.
We eat too much as a culture/society.

Dandelion1

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 10:55 am
I try not to spend on shabbos.... It's a halachic issue.... Aylor.....

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:07 am
4 of us no guests. I would average about $50 a week.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:16 am
aleph wrote:
I try not to spend on shabbos.... It's a halachic issue.... Aylor.....

LOL LOL
All kidding aside, I spend probably near what you spend- around $200 on shabbos for 2 adults and 1 toddler

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:18 am
allthingsblue wrote:
LOL LOL
All kidding aside, I spend probably near what you spend- around $200 on shabbos for 2 adults and 1 toddler

I literally don't understand this: what on earth are you buying (eating) that costs $200!?

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 11:43 am
So my shabbs is usually pretty simple unless we have guests.
My weekly groceries are between $80-$120 (family of 4) depending on the week (what needs to be restocked etc). Once a month I do a meat shop for $150.
Of all that I would say $25-40 max is shabbs.

sky

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:07 pm
I think a big part of shabbos expenses depends on how much is home made or bought.

If you make challah, dips, kugels and cakes and dessert I'd imagine the expenses would be much less. ($8 saved baking own challah, $8 saved baking own cake, $2.00 saved per dip make yourself, etc. )

If you serve salmon, meat, roast, it will definitely increase the cost.

A nice portion of my totally grocery bill is used for shabbos but a lot of leftovers we eat all week. For sure one night supper and supplement another meal. Soups and Salads (not lettuce based) can last at least 2-3 nights. So expenses aren't purely shabbos.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:12 pm
10$. Its just me and my husband and he does the cooking while I'm out working like a dog

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 12:25 pm
3 people - 2 adults one toddler- about 60 a week on regular groceries. Shabbos is about 50 - excluding challah and cake from the freezer.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:01 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I literally don't understand this: what on earth are you buying (eating) that costs $200!?

Meat dish: between $40-60 (we eat the leftovers on Sunday night, and eat some on Thursday after we cook it)
Fish: $8
Wine: $10-15
Soup: $6 (fresh checked dill, vegetables, chicken)
Side dishes (3): can reach $20 easily (more expensive vegetables than we used during the week, such as asparagus, vine tomatoes...)
Challah: $5-7
Dessert: $10-12 (I use pre checked frozen fruit)
Baked goods: $10
Treat for toddler: $2
Dips: $6
Beverages: $3
And then I buy some non food items that I didn't list here, but I included in my $200 estimate (such as pre cut paper towels, Jewish magazine, nice paper goods, which can all add up easily)
So I guess $200 is on the higher end, it's probably closer to $180.
Notice that I never said I was trying to budget; if I was more budget conscious, I cold certainly almost halve this amount.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:06 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Meat dish: between $40-60 (we eat the leftovers on Sunday night, and eat some on Thursday after we cook it)
Fish: $8
Wine: $10-15
Soup: $6 (fresh checked dill, vegetables, chicken)
Side dishes (3): can reach $20 easily (more expensive vegetables than we used during the week, such as asparagus, vine tomatoes...)
Challah: $5-7
Dessert: $10-12 (I use pre checked frozen fruit)
Baked goods: $10
Treat for toddler: $2
Dips: $6
Beverages: $3
And then I buy some non food items that I didn't list here, but I included in my $200 estimate (such as pre cut paper towels, Jewish magazine, nice paper goods, which can all add up easily)
So I guess $200 is on the higher end, it's probably closer to $180.
Notice that I never said I was trying to budget; if I was more budget conscious, I cold certainly almost halve this amount.

Got it.

nywife

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:10 pm
About $25. 2 adults.

I don't buy all the staples ever week. Examples: I make my own challah and freeze enough dough to last about a month. So once a month I spend about $10 on ingredients. One bottle of grape juice lasts us 2-3 weeks. One roll of fish lasts 2 weeks (I freeze it).

On a weekly basis:
Soup vegetables: $4-5
Chicken: $8
Salad vegetables: $5
Rice/quinoa: $2
Deli: $15
Ices: $4

If I have guests I will make a more elaborate menu so obviously the cost will be higher.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:55 pm
I spend the same for Shabbos as for any other day, maybe a couple dollars more. We don't eat fancy food

underthestars

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 2:35 pm
This question is a bit unfair, since everyone's circumstances are different. To compare someone who is just 2 adults or 2 adults with baby/toddler will certainly spend less then a more mature family with kids (especially of they are teenage boys-or married sons with appetites, KH)--I find that no matter how hard I try, I spend around $100 for shabbos, and I make everything myself--no prepared foods. Just gifilte fish (I do buy the loaves, and don't buy ground fish) costs $10 for 2. (Prices also vary according to where you live)--Chicken for soup is $5-veges, main, etc--and you have to prepare for 3 meals--it does add up. For us, one batch of homemade challah yields 6-8 challahs, depending on size, and they all get finished each shabbos, so there is no "freezing" for another shabbos.

IF someone can please offer me a way to bring down the cost, I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to figure out how to fill boys bellies on the cheap! OTOH, my daughter assures me that $$ spent on shabbos is not included in our "yearly g'zirah" from hashem regarding finances, so she tells me it is ok and buy and not skimp.

So, I guess we all do what we can given the circumstances we have.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:08 pm
I spend about 250 a week on groceries. I ship only once a week. This includes stuff for a kiddush I make for the community. (I get reimbursed) which is about $75.
I make everything myself. Make about 30 challahs at a time and freeze (I make some white and some whole wheat).
If I have guests it is a way more elaborate menu.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 29 2016, 3:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:

It's really easy. If you buy some kugels, cut fruit and veggies, meat, desserts and challah plus dairy products etc from the kosher store it's so easy to get to 200. I cannot comprehend 50 tbh.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics