Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you use the hot water?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:42 pm
Do you ever use the hot water on the washing machine, if yes for what? I never use it and was wondering what people use it for

mom2dkay

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:48 pm
Yes of course. For whites, towels, and underwear. That's how to kill germs....

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:50 pm
Yes I use how water fkr whites also

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:52 pm
Ewwww, of course I do! How else would you get the smells out? If I use cold water, everything smells musty, moldy, sweaty, and like old dish towels.

I use a scent free detergent, so I'm not covering up all the odors with perfume. I like fresh laundry that smell like fresh laundry.

Oh, and germs. ICK!

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 8:54 pm
I always use warm

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 9:10 pm
Hot for all towels. And for an all white load of undershirts and underwear. And for the load of rags.
And if there's something else I need to sanitize.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 9:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hot for all towels. And for an all white load of undershirts and underwear. And for the load of rags.
And if there's something else I need to sanitize.

I have a sweaty teenager, two dogs, and a stinky DH. Pretty much my whole HOUSE needs to be sanitized on a regular basis. Confused

cm

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:30 pm
Rarely use hot water for laundry. I use only unscented products, and nothing smells bad.

perquacky

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:34 pm
If you have a high-efficiency washer, you don't need to use hot water, although I do tend to use it for the whites cycle. The socks seem to come out just a little whiter.

nywife

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:54 pm
I disagree with the posters saying laundry must be done in hot water in order get clean. If you have a decent machine and good quality detergent your laundry will perfectly clean.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Ewwww, of course I do! How else would you get the smells out? If I use cold water, everything smells musty, moldy, sweaty, and like old dish towels.

I use a scent free detergent, so I'm not covering up all the odors with perfume. I like fresh laundry that smell like fresh laundry.

Oh, and germs. ICK!

I never use hot water and my clean laundry never comes out smelling how you describe.
Maybe something is wrong with your machine?

Lady Godiva

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 10:58 pm
Always! I run sanitary cycles on towels, I use hot water on linen, socks and underwear and on some clothing (especially kids' school and play clothes).

sequoia

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 11:41 pm
I wash absolutely everything on hot (and dry on high).

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 1:55 am
there's a time for hot
a time for cold
& everything else uses warm
I swear it's not too late

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:02 am
I sure do. Towels get hot sometimes "super hot", same is with white load and underwear. My boys white shirts I wash on sanitize cycle which is very hot.

chani8

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 4:49 am
I've used cold water for my whole life. I use cold for the dish washer, too. I guess you can't eat off my dishes or sleep on my sheets then.

I double rinse everything to get the soap out.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 8:53 am
For those who use hot water, does it not make the colors run? Even with sorting, its not always perfect- like a multicolored item can be dark or light.

I use warm for most washes, and cold for gentle washes or if I'm especially worried about shrinking.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:22 am
Simple1 wrote:
For those who use hot water, does it not make the colors run? Even with sorting, its not always perfect- like a multicolored item can be dark or light.

I use warm for most washes, and cold for gentle washes or if I'm especially worried about shrinking.

I separate dark colored towels from white/light colored towels in order to keep the white and light colors crisp, otherwise the light ones become dingy. Dark stuff eventually fades with hot water but I'm OK with that for towels. Most of mine are light.
I also use hot for white only undershirts and other underwear. Everything stays beautifully white this way.
And for rags I just throw all in together as I don't care as much ahout dingy-ness, but I add extra stain removing powder to the load to get out some more of the dirt collected by cleaning.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:11 am
Simple1 wrote:

I don't use hot water on anything I think might run. I also always wash all new clothes before wear, so I guess if it would run, it would run then. I wash darks together so I wouldn't even know if a dark pair of pants ran on another dark pair of pants.
I've never had an issue with colors running with underwear or kids' school clothes (chinos and polo shirts, mainly).
Dark towels do fade, but somehow they never dye my white towels and they all go in together in a boiling water sanitary wash.
Anything that might shrink (knits, nicer clothes) get washed with warm (or rarely cold) water and don't go in the dryer. I think that the dryer shrinks and fades clothes more than hot or warm water does.

I think we go through about a thousand loads a week! Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry