Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Inflexible nutritionist

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:21 am
Yeah, I know, I should find someone new. I'm just feeling a little burned right now. I went to see someone to devise a good eating plan so I can lose some weight. I'm by no means a picky eater, but it happens to be that the few things I really don't like are super nutritious. Rather than working around this, the nutritionist is insisting that I "learn to like" those foods or I'll never lose weight, and "don't expect results if you can't expand your horizons". This isn't even an issue of being scared of new things (I'm an adventurous eater) or only liking sweets and no vegetables. The things I don't eat I really, really hate. Everyone has foods they hate. Are there nutritionists that understand how to work around food preferences, not just insist "you must eat xyz to lose weight"?

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:36 am
A nutritionist is supposed to work around the food you like. If she can't do that, what is the point of taking private clients?

chani8

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:32 am
It's worse than being inflexible. Your nutritionist is incompetent. There is no such thing as foods you need to eat in order to lose weight.

When you need good advice from real people who've BTDT, then try going online to myfitnesspal.com. You'll see it's not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat. If you are not diabetic, you could even eat your sweets and lose weight. Proven by thousands of people.

That site is free and full of support, which is proven to be the main way people keep off the weight, by getting lots of support.

Last edited by chani8 on Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:37 am
Cookie Monster wrote:
A nutritionist is supposed to work around the food you like. If she can't do that, what is the point of taking private clients?

I agree with Chani. There is no specific food that you MUST eat in order to lose weight. There must be alternate menus that don't involve beets or kale or whatever it is (what is it, BTW?) that she wants you to eat. Sounds like she has rather limited knowledge.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:59 am
Is she a dietician or a licensed nutritionist.

My DH is currently going to a nutritionist and I love how flexible she is.
He told her he needs 2 beers on shabbos and 2 shots of whiskey and a BBQ once a week and she worked with it very reasonably. She also showed him how to make 'smart' beer choices.
When he told her he sits at the table for 3 hours after the meal ends hosting and feels funny and limited not eating she gave him food to eat and tools to cope.
she encourages him to have small cheats to learn how to limit himself and make smart choices.
I think this is the only reason he is losing weight because he is not feeling like he cannot eat the food he loves.

OTOH, my friend went to a dietitian and when she asked about adding even a healthy food to the list of accepted food she was told NO. There was zero flexibility.

I find having flexibility and eating the food you love is what teaches eating skills that will last long after the diet ends.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:24 am
Re: dietitian vs. nutritionist

A registered dietitian (RD) is a nutrition expert, with a solid college background in science as well as nutrition, psychology and education. RDs do a post-college training program (usually an internship - mine was a full year, full time, at a major teaching hospital) followed by an exam and continuing education.

RDs now have the option to use the credential RDN (registered dietitian nutritionist). RD and RDN are the same. "Nutritionist" better describes what most if us do, and sounds more contemporary.

Anyone can describe him/herself with the words "dietitian" or "nutritionist." Some states have licensure or certification, but not all.

RD/RDNs all have different styles, and like everyone, different strengths and weaknesses. If you don't "click" with your RD/RDN, ask around for recommendations and be specific about what you want. Some people need a strict meal plan (something I am not comfortable with), some need a dietitian with a strong psych background, some need an expert on a particular medical condition. People with diabetes should seek out an RD/RDN who is also a CDE (certified diabetes educator), for example.

I hope this helps demystify our profession somewhat. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise