Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Jury duty lakewood

fatso gal

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 4:27 pm
I just received a summons for jury duty. I used to live in NYC and it worked very diffeantly. How can I get out of it?

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 4:43 pm
I believe there are certain exemptions such as if you are responsible for the care of young (or special needs) children,you have a medical condition that would make it difficult for you to serve (could even be a bad back) or you are employed in a position for which your employer can not easily find a substitute.

If any of these are true you should obtain appropriate documentation and send it in.

I think you can also ask for at least one postponement.

See this link or google for more details.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 5:06 pm
Just do your civic duty

It won't kill you ( not you personally but us a community) to give back to our society , instead CONSTANTLY BEING A TAKER...

We can't shovel our sidsewalks like a mensh , we take every pgm out there, look to get out of everything we can

And then we wonder why everyone hates us.. In the past 10 years Jackson went from a very warm friendly folksy place to antisemitism you wouldn't believe

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 5:20 pm
I finally got called for jury duty, it's in two weeks. I love the idea of it, but I'm retired. I recognize that some folks who work may not get paid time to do JD, which is a pity.

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 5:39 pm
I got summons recently. I care for an 18 month old all day and my 3 yr old is done playgroup at 2, so it's not possible for me. I called the phone number on the card for an exemption and I got it, just did it over the phone.
If you don't have any reasons on the list You can check website on card, then I think you need to go and explain in person y you need exemption

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 6:54 pm
fatso gal wrote:
I just received a summons for jury duty. I used to live in NYC and it worked very diffeantly. How can I get out of it?

I wanted to serve on a jury. It sounded so cool. But they didn't want ME! Oh well.....it may be interesting. If you can't get out of it, due to childcare constraints or whatever, think of it as a fascinating experience.

fatso gal

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 7:00 pm
My child is in daycare until 4 so I really don't have the excuse that I need to care for him.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 7:27 pm
Last year I served on a Jury. It really was an interesting experience.

In the past I have never been able to serve. As I explained to the judge 4 years ago when I got a summons, and she said that the case we were looking at would last 3-4 weeks, it would be too difficult to make childcare arrangements for that length of time. Who's taking my 3 year old for that long, every morning and afternoon? It would be a nightmare for DH to arrange, too....You have to be there by 9 a.m. - so leave by 8:30 at the LATEST to get there on time - and you often don't get out until 5, making that till almost 6 getting home, what with the traffic in that direction.

But last year, with my DD being 6 and the courtcase lasting under a week, I figured I could swing it. It ended up being just 3 days, and now that I've served I likely will have a longer space until I get called again.

It really was a fascinating experience, and I'm glad to have been able to serve. I enjoyed the time spent with the other jurors, and the court experience was very eye-opening. I recommend it if possible - just take along plenty of food and a good book to read, soduko or crossword puzzles, etc... for all the downtime.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 7:28 pm
fatso gal wrote:
My child is in daycare until 4 so I really don't have the excuse that I need to care for him.

You certainly do if you can't make it home in time for him. See my post about the time schedule.

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 7:29 pm
fatso gal wrote:

Chayalle just posted that you wouldn't be out till 5 so that might be a valid reason to the judge.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 7:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Last year I served on a Jury. It really was an interesting experience.
...I recommend it if possible - just take along plenty of food and a good book to read, soduko or crossword puzzles, etc... for all the downtime.

TY I'm putting book and water bottle on my list for JD.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 9:19 pm
I served on a civil jury when I was in college. It was a very interesting experience and I actually enjoyed it. I was able to postpone until the beginning of my summer break so it didn't conflict with classes or my summer job.

Now that I have children, I send in a copy of the birth certificate of the youngest to show that I am caring for a child under a certain age and explain that I cannot easily make alternative childcare arrangements.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:43 pm
I actually really liked when I had jury duty, although I didn't get picked to serve. I got to sit around in the morning and read and then it was interesting to see the selection process. However, my local court has free child care for people who have business at the court, which includes jurors, childcare was arranged for me. I did get a deferment though, because I was originally called for a Friday in January, and I said that I couldn't get home in time for Shabbat, so they moved me to Monday. This is in Pennsylvania.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:17 pm
Last time I got called I sent in birth certificates of all my children and a note that I am the caregiver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics