Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Veal sweetbread

hi its me

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:31 pm
I bought a pack of veal sweetbread but have no clue what to do with it. any good recipe would greatly be appreciated. I read about soaking it in acidic water for 24 hrs and then cooking it to remove the membrane

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:39 pm
I've never soaked sweetbreads. I peel the membrane off, a bit of salt and pepper and dust with flour. Lightly saute in a light oil. These are not a strong flavored organ meat (actually they are a gland) soaking is not necessary. I'd serve them on a bed of wilted spinach over some creamy polenta.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 6:55 pm
Wow, OP, lucky you! !
There is no need to soak as it's already kashered. But poaching briefly in slightly acidic water for about 3 minutes firm the sweetbread and makes it easier to handle.

You can dredge in seasoned flour and panfry or sautée with sliced mushroom and serve with pasta or toast. A friend'smother once served in a creamy parve sauce which was amazing. It's quite rich, another classic recipe is slice, panfry and serve with capers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen