Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Taxes
1  2  Next

Who does taxes
Me/husband  
 26%  [ 35 ]
Accountant  
 73%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 132

twogees

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:58 pm
Who does taxes in your house? If me/husband, how?

supty

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:13 pm
I am an accountant so I take care of our taxes. If you have a simple return (ie just get paid by employer on w-2s) then you can do them yourself using Turbotax. Anything complicated, for example if you have your own business or investments, I would definitely recommend that you hire someone. You will almost certainly end up saving money in the long run. Good luck!!

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:14 pm
I didn't vote in the poll, because I assume you want to know about people living in the U.S. We currently use an accountant because our taxes are extremely complicated as non-resident citizens who earn income in both the U.S. and Israel. However for the over 10 years that we were married living in the U.S. we did our own taxes together using tax software like TurboTax or TaxAct. We found it extremely straightforward to use even when we had slightly complicated returns (I.e. capital gains on stocks, etc.), and once or twice when we weren't sure about things we called the IRS help line and found they were actually helpful!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:17 pm
We own our own business, so it gets really complicated and we have an accountant do it. Before we owned our own business we did it ourselves.

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:59 pm
I voted accountant, but our accountant happens to be my father in law! Works out nicely Smile

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:14 pm
I voted accountant who also happens to be my mother in law.
As much as we both hate this situation for several reasons we can't not use her at this time. She is very good at what she does though.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:24 pm
I do ours. Multiple sch c but I was a tax advisor a decade ago. No longer licensed and bonded but I can handle our own. Smile

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:25 pm
I do my own with turbo tax. its simple just w2 from work and 1099 with interest income from bank. no need to pay an accountant to do it for me.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:32 pm
supty wrote:
I am an accountant so I take care of our taxes. If you have a simple return (ie just get paid by employer on w-2s) then you can do them yourself using Turbotax. Anything complicated, for example if you have your own business or investments, I would definitely recommend that you hire someone. You will almost certainly end up saving money in the long run. Good luck!!

I really wonder if this is true with the very sophisticated software available today. One year when we were in the U.S. an accountant convinced us that he would "definitely" save us money vs. doing it ourselves. He didn't come up with anything that we didn't already know or have on the software. And it wasn't a super simple return. (We didn't own a business but we had a lot of different investments plus some more unusual deductions).

crystal

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:48 pm
I once did it myself and afterwards found out I was eligible for a bigger credit but I didn't know about it. An accountant will get you the biggest return.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:53 pm
I'm an accountant. If you have a simple return and your accountant just takes down your info and asks a few clarification questions you are probably better off with Turbo Tax. If your accountant is really going to scrutinize your return for potential credits and savings you are better off with an accountant.You have to know first.

grace413

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:55 pm
My DH is an accountant.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:03 pm
My father did mine when I was single. I wanted to keep our finances private so we used a highly recommended accountant the first year we were married. Dh skimmed it over and found a big mistake, a few hundred dollars worth that the accountant skipped.

Dh has been doing our taxes ever since. The first few years was difficult, but he is pretty good. He mixed up numbers once and we got audited.

Dh has yet to file last years return.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:34 pm
I do it. It takes me a few days. I am not an accountant but I use taxactonline.com. I also itemize all my maaser which takes a while. When I am all done and ready to submit I ask an accountant friend to look it over and make sure nothing looks weird.

Optione

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:39 pm
I voted me/dh because my husband who's am accountant does them. We also have simple taxes.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:46 pm
We have a complicated situation due to investments in multiple states and 2 countries and estate planning by grandparents so we use an accountant.

teddyb

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:18 pm
my return is very straightforward-just w2's and a bank 1099, so I use turbo tax

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:51 pm
My taxes are done by tax professionals that volunteer via the AARP. Tax returns are prepared for free for folks over the age of 55, you don't have to be a member of the AARP. They do some rather complicated returns not just simple ones. They have been doing my taxes for 9 years. Most communities have this service. Call your local AARP or check online if you or your spouse qualify by age.

little_mage

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:58 pm
DH does it with Turbo Tax. I think he actually filed yesterday or today.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:12 pm
For those with complicated taxes regarding income in a few states. How much do you pay your accountant? We paid over 900 last year, I wanted to throw up!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics