Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Hasidic Jews Watch "Fiddler on the Roof" For the First Time
1  2  3  Next

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:45 pm
Has anyone seen this? I think this would probably make more sense for those of us who have seen the film or stage version, but the reactions here are very interesting.

Enjoy.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 2:51 pm
The question raised is, who says Tevye and his family were Chassidish?

One of these guys was the subject of endless discussion here a few years ago, as he had a part in a movie opposite Natalie Portman.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:16 pm
Good question Maya. Who says Tevye was a chassid?

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:

He was dressed like a Chosid and depicted as being stupid and unenlightened like the movies always depict Chasidim.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:25 pm
Maya wrote:
Are you being sarcastic?

No I'm serious.

Is he supposed to be chassidish? I have no idea how non-chassidish shtetl Jews dressed in that era and he is never depicted with a shtreimel or spudik, or at a rebbe's tish.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:38 pm
youngishbear wrote:
No I'm serious.

Is he supposed to be chassidish? I have no idea how non-chassidish shtetl Jews dressed in that era and he is never depicted with a shtreimel or spudik, or at a rebbe's tish.

I imagine everyone in the shtetl dressed in a similar manner, except maybe real Chassidim put a shtreimel on for Shabbos.

I've watched this a few times and it never occurred to me to think they were a specifically Chassidish town.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:39 pm
Maya wrote:
I imagine everyone in the shtetl dressed in a similar manner, except maybe real Chassidim put a shtreimel on for Shabbos.

I've watched this a few times and it never occurred to me to think they were a specifically Chassidish town.

Same here.

I'm off to do some research. Wink

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 3:44 pm
I never thought that the characters in the musical are chassidic, but to the rest of the world, religious Jews and Chassidic Jews are the same. I have never understood why this is. (A lot of documentaries portray certain practices as "Chassidic customs" when I know that it is mainstream.

I don't know who these men are in the video, but I just thought their reaction was interesting.

As to the characters in the film (and other films) being portrayed as ignorant (especially as to why they followed certain customs), one of the men in this video did comment on that, stating that he could explain why he follows certain practices.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 4:51 pm
This is the first I've ever heard that it was specifIcally Chassids. Sholom Aleichem was just writing about ordinary Jews in the shtetl.

The only reason they might resemble 21st century Chassids is because Chassids wear what is essentially 19th century garb.

My great grandparents who came from the Old Country were not Chassidic and identified the characters as resembling their grandparents. In other words, typical Eastern European Jews who were simply Jewish in 19th century Poland or Russia.

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:12 pm
Weren't most Jews living on the Pale of Settlement chassidic?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:19 pm
I must of seen fiddler a hundred times
I saw it in Broadway with Herschel barnardi asz tevye as a little girl

Maya reminds me of chavele

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:26 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I must of seen fiddler a hundred times
I saw it in Broadway with Herschel barnardi asz tevye as a little girl

Maya reminds me of chavele

LOL Which number daughter is that?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:31 pm
Maya wrote:
LOL Which number daughter is that?

In the scene with fyetke

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 5:55 pm
I've read all the Tevye stories and nowhere is it indicated they were chassidim. I think it's hard for us to imagine that world, because today we associate "shtetl" so firmly with NS/KY. But before the Revolution almost all Jews lived in shtetls. Anyone living in a major city had probably done something really drastic like convert to Christianity. Of course there were major cities like Vilnius and Odessa where Jews were allowed to live, but even there it was an educated minority.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 6:54 pm
yogabird wrote:
Weren't most Jews living on the Pale of Settlement chassidic?

As far as I know from the historical record, the majority of Eastern European Jews in the 19th century were not Chassidic. They were just Jewish.

Also, there were fairly large metropolitan Jewish communities that were not assimilated. I know Plotzk in Poland was a fairly major city in Poland with a large Jewish she population. It wasn't a shtetl but the majority of the Jews were not assimilated.

Of course, there was quite a bit of immigration in the years prior to WWI before America effectively closed off immigration. I would imagine a higher percentage of just plain Jews immigrated than those who identified as Chassidic. Of course there were still many just plain Jews left to die during the Holocaust.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:33 pm
This is so funny! I thought you were referring to the Rachel's Play "Shtetl", which is a highly sanitized and frummified knockoff of Fiddler. but even with all their changes, the entire story is kinda inappropriate for a chasidishe audience, with the whole thing being a love story. I find it hard to believe that the ORIGINAL, being all about breaking tradition, intermarriage, and all the kol isha involved, is something a chasidishe yid would watch. In any case, the coincidntal timing is pretty funny.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:59 pm
They are NOT supposed to be chassidish

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
As far as I know from the historical record, the majority of Eastern European Jews in the 19th century were not Chassidic. They were just Jewish.

Also, there were fairly large metropolitan Jewish communities that were not assimilated. I know Plotzk in Poland was a fairly major city in Poland with a large Jewish she population. It wasn't a shtetl but the majority of the Jews were not assimilated.

Of course, there was quite a bit of immigration in the years prior to WWI before America effectively closed off immigration. I would imagine a higher percentage of just plain Jews immigrated than those who identified as Chassidic. Of course there were still many just plain Jews left to die during the Holocaust.

'There Once Was a World' is the 900 year history of the shtetl Eishyshok. It gives great insight into the lives of Jews in that shtetl over the centuries until the last slaughter took place in 1941. It is written by Yaffa Eliach a survivor. This is a dense history, but a very comprehensive look at a shtetls growth. This book also documents the immigrations of it's cititzens to Palestine and the US.

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:12 pm
basyisr0el wrote:
They are NOT supposed to be chassidish

How do you know?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links