Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Hasidic Jews Watch "Fiddler on the Roof" For the First Time
Previous  1  2  3  Next

penguin

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:35 pm
When is Shtetl going to be available on DVD? I can't wait!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:38 pm
Maya wrote:
I imagine everyone in the shtetl dressed in a similar manner, except maybe real Chassidim put a shtreimel on for Shabbos.

No they didn't all dress alike, most of the wardrobe in ta shtetl was related more to class and economics rather than sect.

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
'There Once Was a World' is the 900 year history of the shtetl Eishyshok. It gives great insight into the lives of Jews in that shtetl over the centuries until the last slaughter took place in 1941. It is written by Yaffa Eliach a survivor. This is a dense history, but a very comprehensive look at a shtetls growth. This book also documents the immigrations of it's cititzens to Palestine and the US.

According to wikipedia, the original Tevye the Milkman by Sholom Aleichem was set in a fictional town named Boiberik, inspired by an actual shtetl called Boyarka where Sholom Aleichem lived for some years.

Here's what I found on Boyarka http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/boyarka/

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
No they didn't all dress alike, most of the wardrobe in ta shtetl was related more to class and economics rather than sect.

That's exactly what I said.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:51 pm
yogabird wrote:
According to wikipedia, the original Tevye the Milkman by Sholom Aleichem was set in a fictional town named Boiberik, inspired by an actual shtetl called Boyarka where Sholom Aleichem lived for some years.

Here's what I found on Boyarka http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/boyarka/

Is that where we get the Yiddish expression "boiberik" from? LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:51 pm
Maya wrote:
That's exactly what I said.

Apologies. I must have read it wrong. embarrassed

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 9:56 pm
Maya wrote:
Is that where we get the Yiddish expression "boiberik" from? LOL

The term rang a bell, but I couldn't quite place it. What does it mean?

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:00 pm
yogabird wrote:
The term rang a bell, but I couldn't quite place it. What does it mean?

Sort of a variation of "hutzeplatz," in some godforsaken place.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:01 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
This is so funny! I thought you were referring to the Rachel's Play "Shtetl", which is a highly sanitized and frummified knockoff of Fiddler. but even with all their changes, the entire story is kinda inappropriate for a chasidishe audience, with the whole thing being a love story. I find it hard to believe that the ORIGINAL, being all about breaking tradition, intermarriage, and all the kol isha involved, is something a chasidishe yid would watch. In any case, the coincidntal timing is pretty funny.

In a previous video in this series (that I did not post), Allison Josephs explained in the comments that they actually saw only parts of the movie, and didn't watch the parts with the women singing.

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:06 pm
Maya wrote:
Sort of a variation of "hutzeplatz," in some godforsaken place.

I thought so. Yeah I guess this is where it comes from. Funnily enough, the wikipedia said there was a summer camp in the Catskills name Camp Boiberik. A yiddishist camp, apparently.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:07 pm
"real" chassidim don't watch movies or look at women. Somehow I don't think the few guys who agreed to do this little experiment are accurate data on the chassic community's opinion

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:07 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
In a previous video in this series (that I did not post), Allison Josephs explained in the comments that they actually saw only parts of the movie, and didn't watch the parts with the women singing.

As if. LOL. Like I said, one of those guys was in a Hollywood movie opposite a woman, I doubt he has an issue with women singing. Neither does the other guy I recognize on the second video.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:09 pm
Maya wrote:
As if. LOL. Like I said, one of those guys was in a Hollywood movie opposite a woman, I doubt he has an issue with women singing. Neither does the other guy I recognize on the second video.

Maya, just as I said, I don't know who the men in the video are. I don't know what is in their hearts, nor what is currently going on in their lives. I just thought this was as interesting video.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:10 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
Maya, just as I said, I don't know who the men in the video are. I don't know what is in their hearts, nor what is currently going on in their lives. I just thought this was as interesting video.

Oh it's a great video. It's amusing Smile

wondergirl

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 10:39 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
I never thought that the characters in the musical are chassidic, but to the rest of the world, religious Jews and Chassidic Jews are the same. I have never understood why this is. (A lot of documentaries portray certain practices as "Chassidic customs" when I know that it is mainstream.

I don't know who these men are in the video, but I just thought their reaction was interesting.

As to the characters in the film (and other films) being portrayed as ignorant (especially as to why they followed certain customs), one of the men in this video did comment on that, stating that he could explain why he follows certain practices.

It's interesting that Allison took two obvious Chabad guys and two chasidishe guys (from an undisclosed sect) and juxtaposed them and lumped them into the same "chasidish" category. If she is doing that, then why would anyone be surprised that the secular world sees all the religious communities as being the same thing?
I am aware of one of the non-chabad chasidishe guys, he was involved in some kind of movie scandal several years ago so I am not really sure if he is representative of an insular chasidishe guy (who I would guess would never agree to shoot a video like this) but I am actually curious to know more about the Chabad guys--did they grow up frum? And in which communities?
Why can't Allison tell her audience which communities they are from and what the differences are between the communities and how it relates to fiddler on the roof? That would definitely educate people and teach them how to identify the different communities instead of just lumping them all together.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 11:39 pm
wondergirl wrote:
It's interesting that Allison took two obvious Chabad guys and two chasidishe guys (from an undisclosed sect) and juxtaposed them and lumped them into the same "chasidish" category. If she is doing that, then why would anyone be surprised that the secular world sees all the religious communities as being the same thing?
I am aware of one of the non-chabad chasidishe guys, he was involved in some kind of movie scandal several years ago so I am not really sure if he is representative of an insular chasidishe guy (who I would guess would never agree to shoot a video like this) but I am actually curious to know more about the Chabad guys--did they grow up frum? And in which communities?
Why can't Allison tell her audience which communities they are from and what the differences are between the communities and how it relates to fiddler on the roof? That would definitely educate people and teach them how to identify the different communities instead of just lumping them all together.

Interesting questions. I too would have liked an article accompanying this video, because I myself could have a running commentary on the whole film based on what my thoughts are of this film and stage play. Sure, the video is fun, but the specific points were not articulated. I want to know which parts of the film they saw, and more specific insights.

While I can't speak about life in the shtetel due to lack of actual experience and lack of actual living relatives who I can ask, and I am not Chassidic, there is definitely a lot I would have to say on this film, and I wanted more of a point by point commentary in this video.

Ruchi

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 5:33 am
funnyface wrote:
"real" chassidim don't watch movies or look at women. Somehow I don't think the few guys who agreed to do this little experiment are accurate data on the chassic community's opinion

You are right. These guys are what you would call chilled chassidim Smile

Ruchi

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 5:34 am
One of the guys is a bobover chasid. I know who he is.

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:35 am
I liked many of Jew in the City clips but I really don't understand what she was trying to do with this one?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:51 am
happybeingamom wrote:
I liked many of Jew in the City clips but I really don't understand what she was trying to do with this one?

This.

What

Someone posted that they would like more detailed analysis of their comments, and also clear dofferentiations and explanations of the various chassidic groups.

Why? I don't get how this is interesting.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links