Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Chicago moms! What's the going rate for a small babysitting

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 6:13 pm
So I work full day, but BH due very soon with baby number 1. Logistically and practically and technically my husband and I figured it it's not worth it for me to go back to work in the afternoon once our baby is born. But I still want to help with Parnassa because we need it. We figured out it's probably more worth it for me to work in the morning and come home in afternoon and babysit two children in our home (2 aside from my baby). My question is, let's say I could do it from 130 to 430 Monday through Thursday. That's 12 hours a week. What's a normal amount to charge? I'm not sure about Fridays yet, I'm gonna decide soon what that schedule would be. Currently, I'm not working on Friday, but if I'd stay at my afternoon job, I would be working Fridays after pesach. So I guess I would consider the needs of the person/ppl who decide to send to me. What do babysitters charge? What would you be willing to pay? What's the going rate here? I want it to be worth it for me to do ( which most likely it would be cuz I wouldn't be paying for a babysitter) but also worth it for the ppl sending. Thanks!

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 6:55 pm
Ate you looking for steady customers?
Those are very specific hours and I can't imagine that many people are looking for exactly those hours.

asd3

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:11 pm
I think the going rate is $6 an hour. There are people that work in the afternoon that would probably be interested or it may be more worth your while to make a group of kids in the 3 to 4-year-old range that go to playgroup in the morning

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:22 pm
Cnc, yes specific hours. I'm not quitting my entire job...it's only kedai for me to stop afternoons. Asd, right, I was thinking along the lines of ppl who work in afternoon. The only reason I don't want to do a playgroup for 3/4 year olds is because it's much more work to keep them occupied, I'm gonna be 6 weeks postpartum, and if I do babies, I'll already have baby toys and stuff for them because of my lil babe IYH:) also I'm only looking for like 2 more kids, not exactly playgroup worthy.

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 7:34 pm
Its $6/hr and $10 for two siblings in my experience. The playgroups in my neighborhood end 1:30 as do many sitters so you might find someone who would want to send then.

ETA obviously won't help you but when my usual arrangements won't work I always have a hard time finding afternoon sitting arrangements

kb

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:33 pm
Imo, babies take more attention and care than older kids.

If you think it's easy to watch 3 babies simultaneously, you are mistaken. I gather this is your first?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 8:47 pm
Yes it is my first, but babysitting doesn't phase me Smile it's what I do all morning basically, and I've been babysitting since I was 12. Sometimes more than 3 babies at a time, plus other kids! (id do a few families at once sometimes if they were friends/lived on same block and could bring the kids to my main babysitting job)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics