Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Brooklyn law school
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 11:44 am
Can I go to brooklyn law school with an undergrad degree from empire state which I did online?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 11:46 am
http://thehustle.co/why-you-sh.....r-max

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:01 pm
Call the admissions office.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:01 pm
Probably. But you should not go to Brooklyn Law School. It is very expensive and you are highly unlikely to get a job that justifies the cost. And if you do get such a job, you will be working at it fourteen hours a day.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 12:56 pm
Definitely find out from admissions, but in any case, unless you're literally going to one of the top five schools, don't take out loans. Do well on the lsats and get a scholarship. The market is flooded and the last thing you want is to be hundreds of thousands in debt with no job. Brooklyn law school does offer good scholarships.

Miri7

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 3:07 pm
Yes, call the admissions office. Present yourself well to the admission office, because if you make a great or poor impression that could impact your admissions decision. You want them to meet you and think "this is someone we want!"

Do well on the LSAT, get great letters of recommendation, apply to several schools. Pick the one where you get the best scholarship. I went to a lower-ranked school because of the scholarship I was provided and am so glad I did. Graduating debt-free takes so much pressure off of you as you begin your career.

I also got a great education - remember that at some of the "top" schools the faculty is more focused on research and writing, while other schools have terrific faculty who are focused on teaching.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:10 pm
Miri7 wrote:
Yes, call the admissions office. Present yourself well to the admission office, because if you make a great or poor impression that could impact your admissions decision. You want them to meet you and think "this is someone we want!"

Do well on the LSAT, get great letters of recommendation, apply to several schools. Pick the one where you get the best scholarship. I went to a lower-ranked school because of the scholarship I was provided and am so glad I did. Graduating debt-free takes so much pressure off of you as you begin your career.

I also got a great education - remember that at some of the "top" schools the faculty is more focused on research and writing, while other schools have terrific faculty who are focused on teaching.

I went to BLS. Honestly, the admissions office is not going to remember if she asks a simple question. Do you know how many inquiries they get?

BLS also has a publish or perish mentality.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:13 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
http://thehustle.co/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school-by-tucker-max

Interesting article by Tucker Max. I thought I was the only one in the frum world who ever read his work? You do know he is a failed lawyer basically because he is a raging alcoholic with a rich daddy, and he angered the powers that be at his firm with his antics?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Definitely find out from admissions, but in any case, unless you're literally going to one of the top five schools, don't take out loans. Do well on the lsats and get a scholarship. The market is flooded and the last thing you want is to be hundreds of thousands in debt with no job. Brooklyn law school does offer good scholarships.
And before you go, make sure the scholarship is guaranteed. Some schools offer a scholarship contingent on a particular GPA. Then they stack the scholarship students in one section and grade on a curve so half the section inevitably loses their scholarships. This sounds like it should be illegal, and if they were selling cars it would be. But it is true. Check out the law school transparency website for this and other BS law schools routinely engage in.

marina

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 8:15 pm
I loved law school and love being a lawyer. I have one of the most interesting jobs in the world.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
And before you go, make sure the scholarship is guaranteed. Some schools offer a scholarship contingent on a particular GPA. Then they stack the scholarship students in one section and grade on a curve so half the section inevitably loses their scholarships. This sounds like it should be illegal, and if they were selling cars it would be. But it is true. Check out the law school transparency website for this and other BS law schools routinely engage in.

Ha. I was about to respond to Miri7 that my biggest mistake was choosing a higher ranked law school and foregoing a scholarship at a lower-ranked one, but now you're making me think, who knows, maybe I would've lost the scholarship anyway.

mommalaw

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:36 pm
I'm at BLS on a scholarship. PM me if you still want info.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Ha. I was about to respond to Miri7 that my biggest mistake was choosing a higher ranked law school and foregoing a scholarship at a lower-ranked one, but now you're making me think, who knows, maybe I would've lost the scholarship anyway.

Funny, me too. Fifteen years ago though, so who knows.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting article by Tucker Max. I thought I was the only one in the frum world who ever read his work? You do know he is a failed lawyer basically because he is a raging alcoholic with a rich daddy, and he angered the powers that be at his firm with his antics?

Never heard of Tucker Max, but there are many, many people out there who regret going to law school, many blogs and businesses called things like Life After Law, Leave Law Behind, etc. etc.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:53 pm
I am a lawyer and I enjoyed law school very much. I enjoyed lawyering about as much as I would have any other job that paid well as much of the time it was intellectually stimulating. I can't say it was my dream job but it wasn't a horrendous fit for my skills and interests especially in terms of the type of law I practiced.

However, I am not sure I would recommend law school under the current economic conditions facing lawyers. Way too many law students chasing too few jobs.

I was extremely lucky as I went to a Top Ten law school and graduated in the top ten percent so my credentials opened up many doors. Once you are in the door, you have to sell yourself of course but I had opportunities that would not have been possible if I hadn't gone to a Top Ten School and done well academically there.

I also graduated with no debt - partly because law school tuitions were less expensive even relative to my parents' income at the time and partly because I went to a law school that had significantly lower tuition for in-state students since I essentially paid no tuition.

I would certainly not recommend taking out significant student loans to go to law school as the job market is very bad and probably will remain so in this field for awhile. Perhaps if you got into Yale or Harvard or other top tier school, since doors would open but certainly not for a school not as highly ranked. Law tends to base hiring very much on credentials.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:17 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am a lawyer and I enjoyed law school very much. I enjoyed lawyering about as much as I would have any other job that paid well as much of the time it was intellectually stimulating. I can't say it was my dream job but it wasn't a horrendous fit for my skills and interests especially in terms of the type of law I practiced.

However, I am not sure I would recommend law school under the current economic conditions facing lawyers. Way too many law students chasing too few jobs.

I was extremely lucky as I went to a Top Ten law school and graduated in the top ten percent so my credentials opened up many doors. Once you are in the door, you have to sell yourself of course but I had opportunities that would not have been possible if I hadn't gone to a Top Ten School and done well academically there.

I also graduated with no debt - partly because law school tuitions were less expensive even relative to my parents' income at the time and partly because I went to a law school that had significantly lower tuition for in-state students since I essentially paid no tuition.

I would certainly not recommend taking out significant student loans to go to law school as the job market is very bad and probably will remain so in this field for awhile. Perhaps if you got into Yale or Harvard or other top tier school, since doors would open but certainly not for a school not as highly ranked. Law tends to base hiring very much on credentials.

There's also the option to work for a small firm, or for yourself as a solo. I'm not happy with lawyering mainly because of what I see as inherent questionable ethics practices in my area, but even working part time for yourself can still pay very nicely.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
There's also the option to work for a small firm, or for yourself as a solo. I'm not happy with lawyering mainly because of what I see as inherent questionable ethics practices in my area, but even working part time for yourself can still pay very nicely.

It's very difficult. My friend's daughter graduated from a decent but not top law school and did okay. She is very personable. It took her three years to find one job at a small law firm and she networked extensively and her father is an attorney so had contacts in the field.

Setting up a shingle is easier said than done for a variety of reasons including that most law school graduates really aren't fit to actually practice law on their own and the first years after graduation from law school should be done under the guidance of an experienced attorney so that one learns how to actually lawyer in whatever field one is actually practicing in.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:

It's very difficult. My friend's daughter graduated from a decent but not top law school and did okay. She is very personable. It took her three years to find one job at a small law firm and she networked extensively and her father is an attorney so had contacts in the field.

Setting up a shingle is easier said than done for a variety of reasons including that most law school graduates really aren't fit to actually practice law on their own and the first years after graduation from law school should be done under the guidance of an experienced attorney so that one learns how to actually lawyer in whatever field one is actually practicing in.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:25 pm
Plenty of yeshiva boys get in with those "BTL" degrees, Empire State is a legitimate SUNY school that offers accepted degrees. But like others said, I would be wary of attending Brooklyn Law, they're not well regarded and even if you do find a job, it probably won't justify the cost of law school. And what the above postwr said about scholarships is true, though if you lose your scholarship after the first year, you could just drop out. You'll still have wasted your time, but you won't get into debt. I had a scholarship (not at Brooklyn) and did not maintain the required gpa to keep it. My heart wasn't set on the law (in fact, I was rather dreading it, but thought I had to) and after losing the scholarship, I looked at what the next two years would cost, plus the crummy economy (this was during the worst of the recession) plus the fact that I obviously wasn't at the top. I cut my losses, which were only in time and a few hundred dollars in books, and ran the other way and never looked. Think long and hard about if law school is really right for you. It's not what it once was.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:54 pm
My brother in law went there and had lots of frum classmates who got in with BTL or whatever those 'degrees' are called.
He had a scholarship so paid no tuition. He liked it. His friends, Jewish and non-Jewish, were average in their year and I think all have jobs. They graduated in 2013.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics