Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Help me find myself & my place in Lakewood
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:45 am
Hearthstone I think is very yeshivish but nice simple pple. U might like raintree, has a mix..very community oriented.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:03 am
I am thinking about Arlington. What type of neighborhood is it? Thank you so much.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
I am thinking about Arlington. What type of neighborhood is it? Thank you so much.

Pm me

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:32 am
Which part? The newer area is a cholent pot. All types of pple. Not a community feel. Older part is more of a community.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:35 am
That's a good question.
Living in a city where majority of the people are one sect of Judaism is very nice but for someone who is not from that sect its presents many challenges.
Where you live, is 80% Yeshivish and 20% something else (that I leave up to you, dear OP to decide). But I still respect them because it is a makom Torah and they respect me. Regarding Rabbanim/people being corrupt that can to happen anywhere.
Ironically NYC or Brooklyn I consider a better choice for that exact reason. Or a place like Five towns or Passaic NJ or Baltimore maybe a choice you would want to consider.
By the way there are other communities in the Tri State area that have one type of people and anyone who is different, may have a harder time.
When I speak to people I can see that they are very naive and it is not done on purpose ,they feel that their way of Torah/Chasidus is the only way.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:38 am
As an FYI the thread was bumped at the bottom of p. 4 by amother chartreuse, for anyone who's coming to the thread late. Things change so much in Lakewood that any future comments should probably be veered to her question.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:01 am
op - I didn't read the whole thread, but why did you choose to move to Lakewood? It seems like Passaic or Baltimore would have been a better choice. Those communities have more of a kehillah than Lakewood.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
Bumping up this old thread to look for updates.

I am researching neighborhoods in Lakewood; looking for a simple, frum neighborhood with a community feel. I am interested to hear more about Hearthstone - what is it like now, and can anyone list a few street names as I really am not familiar with Lakewood (moving from out of Lakewood).

What other neighborhoods have a mix of families - middle school age kids and high school (I have babies as well, but don't want an area with only people in their 20s) - and a simple, friendly atmosphere?

Heartstone is lovely but I don't know how many families there actually have high-school-aged children. I'm thinking of families I know there, that their oldests are maybe pushing Bas Mitzvah.

Every neighborhood is going to be something of a mix - something to keep in mind. But some areas to look into might be Spruce area (like Spruce Street, Carol, Marc Drive) New England Village (Liberty, Powderhorn, Wayne, Flintlock), Central Ave streets (like Robin, Cardinal, Hollywood, Regent). I haven't included all the streets in each area - just a few I can think of.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
Hearthstone I think is very yeshivish but nice simple pple. U might like raintree, has a mix..very community oriented.

Agree with this. Raintree is awesome. Most families are in their 30s but there are some older and younger. Laid-back, community feel, nice lots (but small older houses). We are so happy here and have heard from several neighbors that they'd wanted to move out of Lakewood and have finally found their place in Raintree.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:45 am
Update from op (I'm not the amother who bumped it).

We moved to Jackson and couldn't be happier, bli ayin hara.

Kids spent a few months among themselves and have tons of fun in the back yard and basement. Balls, slide, trampoline, and pool kept everyone busy in the summer. In winter, there's enough to do inside. They kept bringing friends from old neighborhood, school and camps over in the summer.

After a few months, kids that are same ages as mine moved in and they get together on shabbos or Sunday, if everyone is in the mood, and no one is sick lol.
I've got a new real friend, and became friendly with many others. We stay in touch in chats, and see each other at get togethers or around simchas, sometimes on shabbos if one can walk over. Some have few neighbors on the block, but others have whole frum clusters so they are in touch more. Husbands and wives switch off bringing younger kids for play dates.

Minyan is super nice. Guys seem to be all different backgrounds but get along nicely: younger, older, and much older, plain frum, chassidish, litvish, working, learning, simpler and from more well-to-do families. They made a very friendly minyan, and we're looking forward to making Simchas here iyh, as the crowd is mostly young and will beh be growing.

Most have few younger kids, a couple of families have more kids of upper elementary, and a few have married kids. Lack of busing and commute to lakewood are major hassle and/or expense, depending on ones particular situation. However, living here is worth every minute in traffic with a car full of screaming kids. I guess it's the air here that makes one chilled lol.

If anyone's interested check out existing jackson threads.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:54 am
So happy it worked out for you!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 12:13 pm
What area of Jackson are you?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
What area of Jackson are you?

I can't tell you on this thread because I'll out myself. I suggest you ask on one of the recent jackson threads. There are many Jackson posters who describe various neighborhoods.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
So happy it worked out for you!

Thank you! I wish everyone hatzlacha with their moves and adjustments.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Heartstone is lovely but I don't know how many families there actually have high-school-aged children. I'm thinking of families I know there, that their oldests are maybe pushing Bas Mitzvah.

Every neighborhood is going to be something of a mix - something to keep in mind. But some areas to look into might be Spruce area (like Spruce Street, Carol, Marc Drive) New England Village (Liberty, Powderhorn, Wayne, Flintlock), Central Ave streets (like Robin, Cardinal, Hollywood, Regent). I haven't included all the streets in each area - just a few I can think of.

Thank you! I actually don't have high school aged kids - another couple of years - but I don't like the idea of being the oldest in a community either. There is something very healthy about having kids see older role models, I think.

Do you know/can you describe what differentiates the above neighborhoods from each other?

Thanks so much!

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:54 pm
I am very happy for you OP
Now lets hope too many ppl dont move to jackson and ruin it for you

sky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:06 pm
I'm so confused. Why all the Jew hate on all these threads? What is bad if Jews move to Jackson.

She should probably put a Jackson strong don't sell sign on her front lawn to discourage additional Jews from moving in. Better keep all those Jews out (specifically the ones whose parents built up Lakewood) they are evil.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:05 pm
sky wrote:
I'm so confused. Why all the Jew hate on all these threads? What is bad if Jews move to Jackson.

She should probably put a Jackson strong don't sell sign on her front lawn to discourage additional Jews from moving in. Better keep all those Jews out (specifically the ones whose parents built up Lakewood) they are evil.

Lol sky.

As a matter of fact, we jokingly had considered putting up a similar sign even before we met some new neighbors who acted unfriendly, cold and kind of disrespectful.
We were almost ready to pack up and move to a less habitated area, even before snobs we were running away from had a chance to move into the area. So far we're hoping that in the end there are going to be enough people to keep our friendly minyan with an "out of town flair."

I'll tell you my personal fear was that the same obnoxious people whose behavior added to my family's aggravation would move here and ruin it for us. At the same time, im all for welcoming more nice and friendly neighbors.

And it's definitely not about those whose parents built up the community. You're either nice or not nice. I'm not necessarily seeing that friendliness is exclusive to third generation lakewooders.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
Which part? The newer area is a cholent pot. All types of pple. Not a community feel. Older part is more of a community.

Just wondering, which streets are considered to be the older part and the new part in Arlington? Thank you.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:51 am
amother wrote:

You're either nice or not nice.

And you will find a mix of that wherever you go. There's no running away from it - that's life. You have to just live, and try to find the nice people and associate with them, and ignore the not-so-nice people. Don't let them ruin it for you.

I'm glad you have found a nice (for now at least!) neighborhood you can be happy in.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating