Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What to do all day with baby?

lucky14

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:37 pm
I have a 2 month old and I'm home all day with him. What should I be doing all day long with him? I talk to him, but there's only so much to say (I talk about what we're doing and random stuff, and read whatever I'm reading out loud). It's been nice the past couple of days but other days it's too cold to go out walking.
I feel like so much of the day is him just sitting around staring into space and that there's stuff I should be doing so he's more entertained and not so bored. He's getting bigger and bigger so he's more awake now then in the beginning, yet he's still too little to be interacting.
This is my first child so I'm a little clueless. Suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:53 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I have a 2 month old and I'm home all day with him. What should I be doing all day long with him? I talk to him, but there's only so much to say (I talk about what we're doing and random stuff, and read whatever I'm reading out loud). It's been nice the past couple of days but other days it's too cold to go out walking.
I feel like so much of the day is him just sitting around staring into space and that there's stuff I should be doing so he's more entertained and not so bored. He's getting bigger and bigger so he's more awake now then in the beginning, yet he's still too little to be interacting.
This is my first child so I'm a little clueless. Suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks.

As long as it's over 20 degrees, go on a walk. I walk with my baby everyday for 1-3 hours.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 9:57 pm
Bundle him up well (hat, scarf, mittens) and go get some fresh air every day.

Butterfly07

Post Tue, Feb 02 2016, 10:00 pm
Your doing great!
Keep narrating to him!
You can look online for interactive ideas of what to do with him.. maybe an infant massage or something to help stimulate his mind! Make a 'play date' which obviously he wont be playing but it will give you some time to talk with another mom Smile

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 4:37 pm
Thanks, I actually wasn't aware that it was OK to take them out when it was so cold outside (of course bundled up warmly), so that's good to know.
I did look online for some ideas. I found some things like crumpling up different textures of paper and such in your hand and theirs so they can hear and feel it, and like hanging stuff for them to reach up to touch. He didn't seem interested in either activity though. I guess if I keep doing it one day he'll surprise me and react.
For all I know he's prob. not bored at all. It's just hard to know since he doesn't talk :-p I just want to make sure I'm doing what I can to set him up to develop his mind and body.

He does seem to really enjoy me talking to him. He holds a steady gaze at my face and smiles back when I smile.

I do "unofficial" massages like rubbing his back and hands and tummy, I'll look up exactly what an infant massage entails.

Another question I have is that I try tummy time, but he haaates it so it doesn't last for very long. Are you supposed to stop it as soon as they start crying or keep them there for a bit longer?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 4:39 pm
Another question I have is that I try tummy time, but he haaates it so it doesn't last for very long. Are you supposed to stop it as soon as they start crying or keep them there for a bit longer?[/quote]

2 months is still very young....he will start enjoying tummy time a bit later on, but you can let him cry a little and then pick him up...every day , do a little bit longer. Eventually they start enjoying it.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 6:18 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Another question I have is that I try tummy time, but he haaates it so it doesn't last for very long. Are you supposed to stop it as soon as they start crying or keep them there for a bit longer?

2 months is still very young....he will start enjoying tummy time a bit later on, but you can let him cry a little and then pick him up...every day , do a little bit longer. Eventually they start enjoying it.[/quote]

I agree with this. A floor mat with hanging items and music is great at this age, fisher price makes a few. I personally wouldn't go on a long walk until it was above 40 degrees at least probably more like 50 degrees. But you can go somewhere indoors and walk around when it's cold. Also you can read and sing to your baby, dance around with them etc.

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:57 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

2 months is still very young....he will start enjoying tummy time a bit later on, but you can let him cry a little and then pick him up...every day , do a little bit longer. Eventually they start enjoying it.

dancingqueen wrote:
I agree with this. A floor mat with hanging items and music is great at this age, fisher price makes a few. I personally wouldn't go on a long walk until it was above 40 degrees at least probably more like 50 degrees. But you can go somewhere indoors and walk around when it's cold. Also you can read and sing to your baby, dance around with them etc.

thanks guys. I should look up the floor mat. oh, I didn't think about dancing. that's cute Smile

newmother

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:01 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

2 months is still very young....he will start enjoying tummy time a bit later on, but you can let him cry a little and then pick him up...every day , do a little bit longer. Eventually they start enjoying it.[/quote]

If you have a boppy ( or use any pillow) use that for tummy time. Then the baby is already propped up so it's easier for them to raise their head(which is the point of tummy time, to strengthen the neck muscles) you can do it for a couple of minutes at a time, till the baby seems unhappy

twogees

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:44 am
For tummy time, put a toy or 2 for your baby to look at (maybe a toy with a mirror?) and set a limit for him to be on his tummy (with crying) each day. Ex. today thru shabbos put him down for 5 min, then sunday thru tuesday 7 min. by increasing by 2-3 min...maybe try going on your stomach facing him and talking/reading to him?

Going out with him will be great. Tell him about the scenery that you see/hear around you. point out busses, trucks, cars, stores (if you are in walking distance to a few/strip of stores), point out a construction site if there is being done near you...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:24 pm
Fresh air is always good. As long as it's not brutal out then go out. Talk to your baby, make him giggle, change his position- swing, car seat, etc.... You don't have to talk to him allllll day long

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:06 pm
He's probably not bored - you are!

Put on music, read to him (something that YOU like), daven/say tehillim out loud in a sing-songy voice, give him toys to look at...

Re: tummy time, I don't think 2 months is too young... You should push him a little bit, but not so much that he's screeching...just kvetchy.

musicmom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:22 pm
I agree that it is great to get outside. Your baby probably just reached the age where he is vaccinated, so there is no need to be inside all day. Our library actually has a baby group, which is a great way to meet other young parents. There are little board books that my kids loved as babies, like Are you my mother, 1o apples up on top, Mr. Brown can moo, can you?, Does a Kangaroo have a mother too, Brown Bear Brown Bear, Baby Beluga, etc. I would invest in some of those books, and play music for your baby! I am a music teacher, and it is not too early! My children listen to classical music every night. And we have songs for different activities. I know it is a big adjustment to have your first baby. I remember I asked my friends to come watch mine so I could clean! I didn't like to clean while wearing the baby..lol. Now my husband and I really laugh and wonder how we ever were like that, if we had just one baby we would do so many things! Timing is perspective. I think routines are really important and just show him you love him. I was so surprised, yesterday my one year old picked up all the magna tiles and put them in the bin, and then he pushed the bin where it belongs under the train table. Kids really pick up on more than you realize from a very young age. Good luck! Oh, also, when I wore my baby, I wore a maternity coat and just buttoned it over him or her so that we would both stay warm :-). Just put a diaper in your purse and you are good to go!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:48 pm
I loved listening to classical music on Youtube (search for the Piano Guys- they're awesome!) with my baby when she was that little. She enjoyed it when I swayed back and forth with her to the music.

Also, with really little babies, tummy time can be on you sometimes. Lie on your back, or even recline most of the way, and put your baby tummy-to-tummy with you. Baby will eventually try lifting his head to look at you. Encourage your dh to get in on it too when he's home- it's great bonding time.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:10 pm
At two months I took the baby to a lot of stores and appointments (we were doing a home remodeling project) as well as the usual errands. She got to see the world while we kept each other company.

I also "wore" my baby so we only had to wear one coat on top in chilly weather. Baby just needs a hat; much easier than trying to poke little baby arms into a sweater! I did not have a maternity coat but a regular coat was generous enough for us both.

It is unlikely that your baby is bored. Every experience is new!

Parent/baby activities were great for us at that stage. Not only do you have a chance to focus only on your baby during the session, you can meet other moms with babies at the same stage who might not be in your usual circle of friends. For first-time moms who may feel a little awkward with the baby, classes such as Gymboree can be invaluable for learning how to play with an infant. We loved our music class and public library activities too (these actually started just a little later).

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:26 pm
Thanks again for all of the replies. It seems like I'm doing things pretty well. I get on the floor with him during tummy time and also do tummy time with him lying on top of me like it was suggested here.
And I play classical music for him too Smile and other music.

As far as taking him to the store with me- do I take him in the stroller or the car seat? Is there a safe way to put the car seats in a shopping cart?
(we do go out sometimes, I just feel like there must be an easier way then what we've been doing)

And for those of you who wear/wore your baby which carrier (or type of carrier) do you find is the best?

And you're so right it's prob me just being bored for him- he probably isn't bored at all. I'm not bored either, I'm having fun just watching him and have plenty around the house to keep me busy. So I guess things are going pretty well for both of us Smile

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 5:35 am
We have the Infantino mei tai carrier and love it. It's pretty user-friendly and I think it's only about 30 dollars on Amazon. It's for sure easier than a car seat in the grocery store- I don't think there is a safe way to put a car seat in the cart, definitely not resting across it, and he won't be able to sit in the seat for another several months.

If you can, get a carrier ASAP- we've been wearing our baby most days since birth. She's close to 20 pounds now and there's no way I'd be able to wear her if I were just starting.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 5:55 am
Sorry, it was so long ago that all the carriers have changed. We used a very basic sling. You need to be careful that the baby doesn't slip out if you use that kind. I had a hand-me-down Snugli but found it cumbersome.

You may find that your infant car seat will fit nicely into a grocery cart seat, depending on the size/shape of the cart - but don't count on that! Keep the baby fully strapped in and a hand and eye on the baby while you shop to prevent falls. 15-20 years ago it was normal to put the car seat on the cart, but I don't know if modern parents are doing this. You also may find it convenient to use your stroller or snap-and-go basket as a shopping cart.

lucky14

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
We have the Infantino mei tai carrier and love it. It's pretty user-friendly and I think it's only about 30 dollars on Amazon. It's for sure easier than a car seat in the grocery store- I don't think there is a safe way to put a car seat in the cart, definitely not resting across it, and he won't be able to sit in the seat for another several months.

If you can, get a carrier ASAP- we've been wearing our baby most days since birth. She's close to 20 pounds now and there's no way I'd be able to wear her if I were just starting.

OK, so I got a moby, and two other of those wrap type things (they're all the same I realized) and it's so annoying to wrap all up and then to put the baby in there (sometimes he transfers in fine, other times he gets fussy), and then it's hard to figure out if it's too tight or too loose! So I've only worn it out like once. I'm going to return them and get one of those mei tais and baby ktans to try out. Those look SO much simpler! Thanks!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 10:06 am
I mostly stay home.
I don't enjoy walking so I don't go out much especially when baby isn't bored.
When I go out it's generally on the inside (mall etc).
OUAT you "had to" go around the block as long as the weather wasn't rain... it depresses me deeply lol.
If I drove I would go out more, but again mostly stuff that interests me and/or inside.
It's ok. Somehow babies are fine with what you do !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics