Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Kids healthy treats
1  2  3  Next

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:03 pm
Im sure there
Must be a post about this but my search yielded no results.
Im desperate for healthy treats for my kids that I can just have on hand / freeser. In place of all the junk customarily given.
( no candies/lollipops/ cookies/)
The healthy cookies I make are best fresh and I'd like stuff available.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:04 pm
cut up veggies.

e1234

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:08 pm
I make a very healthy chalva that my kids eat

I would love other ideas

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:11 pm
what's the halvah recipe? would love to try that!

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:12 pm
homemade fruit leather in the oven, or dried fruit if you buy a dehydrator. Roasted chickpeas or corn or edamame beans. Homemade granola bars. Roasted almonds.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:14 pm
Im the type to not serve processed foods so I make everything but you could probably buy healthy versions of these items. My kids snack on...
Homemade yogurt
Applesauce
Pickles (I make my own in the summer)
Baby carrots
Cucumbers
Peppers
Dried fruit (dates, figs,raisins apricots mostly)
Frozen fruit (2 kids love frozen blueberries)
Fresh Fruit
Bananas or apples and peanut butter
Nuts/seeds
Sometimes Homemade popcorn (its mainly for DH LOL )
Sometimes Homemade granola (I keep large batch in freezer and goes well with yogurt)
Sometimes homemade muffins or the like

lfab

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:16 pm
Air popped popcorn (buy the kernels and pop them yourself). If you bake stuff can you freeze them then defrost for a few seconds in the microwave. I do this with cookies and they practically taste fresh out of the oven this way. How healthy do you consider healthy? For school I allow my kids to take things like popcorn, pretzels, whole wheat crackers, graham crackers, veggie chips, popcorners etc. as their "treat" snacks. While their not like eating a fruit or veggie they are definitely better than cookies and candies. Are things like that healthy enough?
In the summer we also sometimes mix plain yogurt with strawberry yogurt and freeze them so it's a healthier ice pop. Another thing we freeze are the little applesauce cups and they eat them instead of the italian ice cups.

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:24 pm
Thanks everyone
yes we do the fruits and veggies.
And I love all the extra ideas.
Would love the fruit roll up and halva recipe

I guess Im looking for the treat you just pull out without all the prep. - "here's a bunch of chocolate chips. ! Is what I have so far compromised to. "
I wanted healthier options.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be trying them
What do you give your kids for Shabbos treats. - home made cake /ice cream. and fruit. - ? Curious about anything else.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 3:04 pm
Shabbos party is homemade treats, ices, chocolate covered rice cakes, organic fruit nuggets (target) simply balanced fruit snacks (target), homemade chocolates in molds, special treat might be trader joes organic rice krispy snacks or yummy earth organic lollipops.

Easiest fruit leather... jar of applesauce on a cookie sheet. Bake in oven on lowest setting overnight

sky

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 3:08 pm
Home made granola bars.
I make a really easy one with just oatmeal, peanut butter and honey.
I keep in the freezer and they are yummy frozen.

I really like the Target fruit leather, doesn't have a lot of junk and its very reasonably priced.

yogabird

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 3:10 pm
Are you looking for treats or just snacks?

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 3:42 pm
Frozen grapes and frozen blueberries

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:02 pm
yogabird wrote:
Are you looking for treats or just snacks?

Thanks lots
Treats

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:06 pm
sky wrote:
Home made granola bars.
I make a really easy one with just oatmeal, peanut butter and honey.
I keep in the freezer and they are yummy frozen.

I really like the Target fruit leather, doesn't have a lot of junk and its very reasonably priced.

Thankd

I find a lot of healthy homemade stuff goes with peanut butter which my kids don't like. I think I just have to keep on making stuff and having it around.
We just made healthy carrot cake/ muffins
My real question is about treats.

Perhaps the answer is that food shouldn't be treats
But Shabbos I like there to be treats and now that they are getting older the fruit and homemade ices aren't pulling it.
How does everyone else deal with the exposure to junk in school etc. ?
(are there no health minded schools!!!)

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:46 pm
I'll buy an unusual fruit or some fruit/veggie that they like that might be pricey since I don't buy them candy.
I have made leather in the oven which they were very excited with.

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'll buy an unusual fruit or some fruit/veggie that they like that might be pricey since I don't buy them candy.
I have made leather in the oven which they were very excited with.

Thanks for the ideas.
Aside for the apple sauce leather which Im excited to try. Any other leathers to make and how ? Thanks

Moonlight

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:58 pm
Nuts, dried fruit, flavored applesauce , different kinds of cheeses, yogurts, corn muffins, cut mango, pickles

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:59 pm
You can use any cooked fruit really. An apple or pear base works best. You can do apple/peach or apple/strawberry/banana. Seedy fruits like blueberries or kiwis dont work do well unless you strain before drying. I forgot to add to place the mixture on parchment paper or else it can dry out too fast and burn.

yogabird

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:11 pm
pdl wrote:
Thanks lots
Treats

Not sure if you're looking specifically for homemade, but there are quite a few products out there in the market that are made just from fruit purees/juices/concentrates, usually with added natural flavors but no added sugar.

I buy Fruit Peels from Kemach -- it's sort of like a fruit leather that you can peel into 4 strips. There's also fruit snacks from Tru Fruit, they're little jellies in individual bags, come in several flavors. There's a new one that's like the fruit leather everyone's talking about but comes on a long piece of parchment paper and in little circle shapes instead of more traditional roll. Comes in a lot of flavors, the mango and apple are particularly yummy.

I also buy 72% cocoa dark chocolate from Schmerling -- doesn't have a lot of sugar added, and the cocoa and cocoa butter actually has health benefits.

All the above have heimishe hechshers. If you're not makpid, there are many, many equivalents out there.

Stretch island fruit leathers.

We alternate one of these for shabbos party, along with a salty snack like pretzels, potato chips, or some other natural snack.

I make a really good dark chocolate pudding with canned coconut milk. It keeps well in the fridge.

We've made some great fruit sorbets or granitas/coconut milk ice creams in the past.

I sometimes seed a bunch of pomegranates -- everyone loves munching on them.

N'sMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:50 pm
Every couple of weeks I bake minimally sweetened, whole grain banana, pumpkin or blueberry muffins or the same flavors but as a "bread" that I slice and freeze in individual ziploc bags. These are healthy enough to sub for breakfast if your dc are running late but yummy enough to count as a treat. I sometimes add a very few chocolate chips to the banana muffins and dried cranberries or raisins to the pumpkin muffins. And nuts are always a good addition.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking