Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Kids healthy treats
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:55 pm
I have made delicious fruit leather with blended mango and ive done pineapple as well. Both were divine. You can also make natural italian ices.

mamamia1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:27 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
I have made delicious fruit leather with blended mango and ive done pineapple as well. Both were divine. You can also make natural italian ices.

Sounds awesome.
How?

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:40 pm
pdl wrote:
Sounds awesome.
How?

I blended the desired fruit, spread it on a parchment paper and baked for a good few hours on 250 I think. After its done I quickly rolled it while its hot and then cut it into smaller sized rolls.

Italian ices can be made by blending any fruit, kiwis, oranges, pineapple, or from ready juices. Place in a shallow pan overnight. Cut into big chunks once frozen, blend and freeze again. For super smooth consistency do the blend and freeze steps twice. If youre using fruits that are not sweet you might wanna add sweet fruits or organic sugar. I add fresh squeezed lemon, and pineapple juice to each one but its optional.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 11:59 pm
Thanks so much.
Blend the raw fruit? Need to cook it first ?
I'd really love to try this.

Esther23

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:25 am
I make delicious easy brownies made out of almond butter so it's high in protein and calcium. I got it off of Elana's pantry site. https://elanaspantry.com/brownies/

Brownies
Serves: about 24 brownies
Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) jar creamy roasted almond butter
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup cacao powder
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chunks

Instructions

In a large bowl, blend almond butter until smooth with a hand blender
Blend in eggs, then blend in honey and vanilla
Blend in cacao, salt and baking soda, then fold in chocolate chips
Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
Pour batter into dish
Bake at 325° for 25-40 minutes

*I've subbed regular cocoa powder for the cacao; I've left out the chocolate chunks and it was still delicious. And once I was out of almond butter so I made my own, it's real simple. Just put almonds into food processor and let it process for a long time, first it'll turn to almond meal then as it continues processing it turns to butter, around 15-20 minutes.

Esther23

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:32 am
@yogabird
Can you please post your recipe for chocolate pudding made out of canned coconut milk?
Thanks.

mamamia1

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:07 pm
Esther23 wrote:
I make delicious easy brownies made out of almond butter so it's high in protein and calcium. I got it off of Elana's pantry site. https://elanaspantry.com/brownies/

Brownies
Ingredients

2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups honey
½ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chunks

Instructions

Pour batter into dish

*I've subbed regular cocoa powder for the cacao; I've left out the chocolate chunks and it was still delicious. And once I was out of almond butter so I made my own, it's real simple. Just put almonds into food processor and let it process for a long time, first it'll turn to almond meal then as it continues processing it turns to butter, around 15-20 minutes.

Amazing and thanks for all the tips. Feel like trying it right now

SorGold

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:02 pm
If the brownies interest you. These are excellent! This cake is delicious... sounds interesting but trust me!
1 cup cooked sweet potato
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar or sweetener of choice (I even do 1/4 cup)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
(The original recipe had cocoa and was supposed to be a brownie but we love this blondie version much better. The cocoa needs more sweetener which we would rather avoid. The sweet potato adds texture and natural sweetness)
Blend together and bake in 8x8 at 350.

For a special treat type cake, I frost with peanut butter frosting. Never a crumb left Wink

mamamia1

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:11 pm
Esther23,
The brownies are in the oven right now!
I was too excited to wait.

Will let you know how they come out. - Im terrible at baking and exact amounts so I take blame for any failures. ( this almond butter I had was 27 oz so I just eyeballed what 16oz would be - that's just an example. )
When you say 25 min- 4o min what does that mean ? I just opened oven after 25 and it was wobbly!
( but it had risen so much ! Amazing I was afraid if done something wrong and though batter was too little!!)

Last edited by mamamia1 on Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:14 pm
N'sMom wrote:
Every couple of weeks I bake minimally sweetened, whole grain banana, pumpkin or blueberry muffins or the same flavors but as a "bread" that I slice and freeze in individual ziploc bags. These are healthy enough to sub for breakfast if your dc are running late but yummy enough to count as a treat. I sometimes add a very few chocolate chips to the banana muffins and dried cranberries or raisins to the pumpkin muffins. And nuts are always a good addition.

This is such a great idea!

mamamia1

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:50 pm
Esther23.
The brownies are a hit - kids just got home and after smelling them couldn't resist giving them snack on the Shabbos treat.
Thankd.
Will be sending to my family as a pesach recipe

myself

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:42 pm
SorGold wrote:
If the brownies interest you. These are excellent! This cake is delicious... sounds interesting but trust me!
1 cup cooked sweet potato
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar or sweetener of choice (I even do 1/4 cup)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
(The original recipe had cocoa and was supposed to be a brownie but we love this blondie version much better. The cocoa needs more sweetener which we would rather avoid. The sweet potato adds texture and natural sweetness)
Blend together and bake in 8x8 at 350.

For a special treat type cake, I frost with peanut butter frosting. Never a crumb left Wink

Have you ever subbed almond butter for the peanut butter?

myself

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:43 pm
Esther23 wrote:
And once I was out of almond butter so I made my own, it's real simple. Just put almonds into food processor and let it process for a long time, first it'll turn to almond meal then as it continues processing it turns to butter, around 15-20 minutes.

How much almonds do you use for 16oz of butter?

ez-pass

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:30 pm
What a bout peanut chews? I keep them on the freezer and pull out as needed.
I make with brown rice syrup, a bit of honey, natural peanut butter and trader Joe's rice crispies.

SorGold

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:23 pm
myself wrote:
Have you ever subbed almond butter for the peanut butter?

Yes I have many times. Its fine. I could have just put "nut butter".
If you sub half of the nut butter with sunflower seed butter it turns green (something about a chemical reaction with the bakiny soda) and my kids get a kick out of it since we dont use food coloring.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:40 pm
Our go-to dessert for Shabbos is homemade jello made from grape juice. Kids are thrilled when I make it with some sort of different juice like, pomegranate acai which I found once..
My standard treats for shabbos, or taking a vitamin/supplement are:
Chocolate Chips
Good earth organic lollipops
fruit leathers
Fruit Nuggets (those little organic pieces of fruit candy)

I was able to get away with just those for years, but now my big boys (10 and 12) are rebelling, lol. In order to keep them on board, I've had to resort to buying some better junk online - organic jelly beans, marshmallows, etc. It's all dye free and HFCS free, but not "healthy" by any means. Oh well, I figure they're still better off than most kids out here who are snacking on Twizzlers and M&Ms.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:41 pm
This thread is just about treats, right? Because I have other ideas/recipes for snacks and desserts.

Esther23

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:55 pm
Would love to hear your recipes sparkle.

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:58 pm
Esther23 wrote:

Brownies
Ingredients

2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups honey
½ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chunks

Instructions

Pour batter into dish

This sounds amazing but so expensive! An entire jar of almond butter in a single cake. Last time I checked they were something like 12 dollars a jar.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:59 pm
Sparkle wrote:
Our go-to dessert for Shabbos is homemade jello made from grape juice. Kids are thrilled when I make it with some sort of different juice like, pomegranate acai which I found once..
My standard treats for shabbos, or taking a vitamin/supplement are:
Chocolate Chips
Good earth organic lollipops
fruit leathers
Fruit Nuggets (those little organic pieces of fruit candy)

I was able to get away with just those for years, but now my big boys (10 and 12) are rebelling, lol. In order to keep them on board, I've had to resort to buying some better junk online - organic jelly beans, marshmallows, etc. It's all dye free and HFCS free, but not "healthy" by any means. Oh well, I figure they're still better off than most kids out here who are snacking on Twizzlers and M&Ms.

How do you make the jello?
Anyone make Choco pudding from scratch?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking