Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Vouchers in cleveland

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:14 pm
Does anyone know the financial plan of Hebrew academy and mosdos now that there are tuition vouchers? Do you think they will raise tuition or building funds?

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 2:18 pm
tell me more about the voucher program, I'm curious. When does it start? Is it for those on the streets whose home school would be a failing school only, or for everyone?

Mosdos doesn't exist anymore. They've dissolved and now have created a new school, Derech HaTorah.

I send my kids to public school (I send one of them to a "failing" school and I love it) so this doesn't affect me but certainly would affect my friends.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 3:25 pm
My understanding is that the vouchers cover around 4500 or 5000 of your child's private school tuition if you live in university heights or Cleveland heights. The money is paid directly to the school. It is not dependent on your income level. Any child entering kindergarten is eligible, and I think that if you move to either of those neighborhoods, all of your children entering school would be eligible, even if entering grades other than kindergarten. I believe that even when this program ends, they will continue paying the money for children already enrolled in the program, through 12th grade. All of this info I have gathered from asking various ppl. I have not confirmed if it is all accurate. My concern is that I move from the tristate area to cleveland, specifically for the program, only to find that the schools will raise tuition or building fund etc now that parents are paying less tuition.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:31 pm
If this is the standard Ohio EdChoice program (I know Cleveland had a different one before the state), I can help a little with the state rules.

The grant is 4650 for K-8 (high school is 5-something). If you are a resident of Ohio, you can NOT move to a failing school district with an older child (I think K-2 it's ok) and request vouchers, but if you are not a resident of Ohio, then moving in to the state qualifies all children if you move into an area before July 31 of the upcoming school year.

Are you sure this is brand new for Cleveland? I don't see why they would just increase parental costs.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:43 pm
I'm not sure what these vouchers are called, but I think that they are being offered to parents in this district because the public schools aren't good. This specific voucher is pretty new. I think this current yr is the first yr, but I could be wrong. I could see a school asking parents for more money in other areas if every child starting kindergarten from this yr onward is only paying half the tuition. Maybe a building fund, or other ways to build their infrastructure. Again, this is all speculation. I was wondering if anyone has spoken to hac or mosdos about this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics