Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Packing lunch

momtra

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:16 pm
At what age did your child start packing their own lunch for school?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:21 pm
My oldest dc is in 9th grade. She is supposed to prepare her own lunch, but never does. I prepare lunch for my kids and dh daily.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 7:34 pm
Depends on the kid.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 8:14 pm
I have a friend who taught her kids by putting put baskets of snacks in categories (junk snack, healthy snack, etc) and having her kids choose one from each basket. She did the main, I think, but if they wanted snack they had to pack it.

That being said, I started requiring my kids to do it in middle school, at which point they started bringing less and less and eating more at home. It wasn't worth it to them.

cm

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:11 pm
By sixth grade (she made her own lunch at home prior to that, but had hot lunch at school). Making a sandwich and planning a simple meal are basic life skills that most children can learn.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:15 pm
I started making my own around 3rd or 4th grade. The rule was make your lunch or I will and we did not want what my parents were offering.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:49 pm
My kids packed their lunch by 4th. Grade, but I made the main lunch.
I would put out tuna, egg salad, hummus, cottage cheese, etc, cut up veggies, whole fruit, and popcorn (freshly popped). They would make their own sandwiches and pack up snacks. If they want something else and I approved they would have to prepare it from a-z, including clean up. The older kids also help pack lunches for the younger ones. I tried doing all the prep work Sunday for the week. Always asked the kids what they prefer.

underthestars

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:10 pm
around middle school (6th grade)

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:08 pm
4th grade
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children