Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Lakewood-Regret?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:51 pm
Growing up in bp the majoraty was not chasidish. Their comunitys grow so fast tbat tbere is no room left and rents are ridiculous..so they branch out..usualy to already established comunities.. but were rents are lower..

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:57 pm
OP would need to tell us a little bit about her situation - what community she would expect to be part of, what her DH does and what she does, what schools she's hoping to get into, and what her pull might be...

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:07 pm
Coming from brooklyn, the positive *bigger house, more space, *More parking *fresher air *more parks *more socialization (if you live in a developement highly true)*cheaper gas *cheaper standard of living
The negative *people can be just as rude *traffic is just as congested *we rely more on car pools driving our children around. *Pay more in gas * lakewood is more spread out you need to live close to family to attend shabbos simchas *over time people are living on higher standard, the ones getting supported includes, vacations ect. People are not as accepting. People are looked up or downfor being "yeshivish", chasidish..... *Everyone is looking for a bargain. People want to get the most they can get from there money (stingy) *hard to get in school* tuitions is slight less for everyone no "sliding scale" but than there is a building fund... can be more expensive *bus service is difficult for some.
Sometimes I wonder.....than again the grass is always greener on the other side. Hatzlacha!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:19 pm
Why not?

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
?

And I will add that to this that once your children are all grown up and living elsewhere and your parnosa isn't dependent on the frum olam , Lakewood is just about the best place on hashems green earth to be, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE MALE

I don't understand the question mark. Do you doubt that I am accurately describing my experience, or do you have an actual question about what I said?

I, personally, am happy in Lakewood. Much happier now that I moved out of a development, which really was not a good match for my personality or needs.

I can't imagine I'd be happier anywhere else - the daily hassles of my life are mostly around balancing work/childcare, and I'd have that wherever I lived. The lower cost of homes would be offset by the higher cost of tuition, cholov yisroel etc. OOT, so I can't imagine I'd have it better anywhere else. (I do miss shopping at KRM in Brooklyn, though!)

Emotional

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:

Also looking for friends. This area of my life is a barren land. However, it is definitely not worse than in NY. I would venture to say it is even better.

Jade amother, I also moved here to Lakewood from Brooklyn 3 years ago. I do not regret the move, my children are all very happy here, but for me personally things have been hard socially. I'm also somehow finding myself lacking friends, perhaps because I'm shy and not outgoing.
Would you pm me? Maybe we can be friends and if not, maybe we can get chizuk from each other.

freedomseek

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 6:49 pm
Going there this summer too.
I'm actually excited.
If you're ok with schools, how much of an impact would the "community's attitudes" in your personal life?
I'm not worried.
Hatzlacha with your move!

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:14 pm
Sorry about that Debs.. The ? Was actually a typo

Mea Culpa

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 8:16 pm
I moved to Lkwd in the beginning of this year and am having a very hard time adjusting too.
My kids are still in playgroup. I live in a development - very quiet one- so socially I'm pretty lonely. I do find people here are more stingy and money minded but hey that's my experience. My son was BH accepted to a school next year so I'm lucky. There are less community events here than in brooklyn. The hardest part for me is the lack of social life for myself and my kids in the spring and summer months when noone was out! In brooklyn my kids 2 and 4 were out all day and so were the Moms! great company! Could be it's just where I live so...

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 8:25 pm
I think it's time for a Lakewood meet for coffee Very Happy

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:00 pm
I moved to Lakewood a few years ago from Brooklyn. I am thrilled here. It is a community like any other. You need to be careful to move onto a block that is your "type" and I am sure you will do great. Make sure your neighborhood has a shul and a rav that your husband will be comfortable with, and that there are children your kids can play with.

B"H my children are in wonderful schools and playgroups. I was able to get a job, and we were able to buy a much larger home than we could have bought in Brooklyn. The 1 negative is that my husband travels to NY to work. We both agree though that all the good in Lakewood definitely out-way the traveling annoyances.

Compared to Brooklyn, the shopping and parking is also a pleasure. When my Brooklyn family comes to me for Shabbos, they specifically stay over on Sunday to shop in Lakewood. It is great to just pull into a parking lot and not have to circle for parking or pay meters.

It seems like there are a lot of negative people on the Lakewood threads these days, but all the people I speak to in this wonderful town, are quite happy to be living here. Be positive, make sure to move to an area with like minded people, and I don't think you will regret the move at all!

Emotional

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:06 pm
mommyla wrote:

I would come. For real!

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:31 pm
Emotional wrote:
I would come. For real!

Me too, if I'm not working.

summer0808

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:38 pm
me too. I'm wahm so I can usually make it work by day

freedomseek

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:49 pm
Maybe I should come and meet you before I move out😉

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:59 pm
Awesome! Who wants to organize? Very Happy I'm also a WAHM (with a SAH kid) and crazy busy these days so don't want to nominate myself.

Emotional

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:04 pm
I'm too shy & disorganized to arrange something like this. But is there anyone who would? I would be so glad to come.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:53 am
[quote="debsey"]

I came to a few realizations that I think really helps your sanity in Lakewood:
1) Not everyone is cut out for development living (I'm not) and if you do live in a development, make sure you fit in to the crowd. Developments, being self-contained, are prone to groupthink and HS style dynamics (based on the 3 developments I've lived in)

Hi, I'm another Imamother thinking about moving to Lakewood this summer. We are interested in living in a development but wanted more information about living there. What do you mean they are more prone to Groups and HS style dynamics? Can you clarify more on that? Also are you able PM me directly to advise me of good developments that we can try renting a basement apartment in to try it out in Lakewood? Which development did you not like? Thank you.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 8:18 am
mommyla wrote:

Can a former lakewoodite join in? Very Happy I'll be in town for a few days Cool

mommyla

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:14 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Can a former lakewoodite join in? Very Happy I'll be in town for a few days Cool

Totally! If you'll arrange it Smile
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating