Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Speech therapy-what to expect?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:21 am
I'm new to this, so any information would help. Recently, my two kids were evaluated at school and they'll need speech therapy. I haven't spoken to the therapist yet, so in the meantime I have a few questions. First of all, when would they get therapy?! Kids get out of school at around 3:45pm and they're usually very hungry and tired. They're just toddlers so if therapy is after school, they'd be too tired. Do the therapist usually come to the house? (would be useful for me since I have a baby to take care of). Do they take insurance?

Just a little more info... my two kids are quiet at school. The younger one doesn't really speak at school, but he interacts non verbally. He learned and knows a lot of things (shapes, colors etc) but seems to have an anxiety to speak (although at home he speaks a lot). The older kid is also quiet...speaks more at school then the brother, but teacher claims that he speaks slower when he forms sentences. They're both bilingual. So does that mean I'm going to need a bilingual speech therapist?

And lastly... when I grew up, I was exactly like my kids (quiet/shy) but I eventually grew out of it and back then I didn't have any speech therapy. The teacher is saying that it will just help in the long run...does speech therapy really help? what if the kids are just quiet/shy due to my genes?

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 11:25 am
Where are you located?
Were they evaluated by the DOE? If yes, then the therapy is covered by the DOE.
Many schools have therapists on site and the children are pulled out of class for therapy.
My attitude is that any extra help (including therapy) can only help , not hurt.

Queen6

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:30 pm
Why can't you do it in school? Decide if you REALLY need it cuz sometimes it's not so productive... I wonder if it really helps. Don't overextend yourself physically or financially.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:46 pm
I am an SLP in NYC, but I cannot answer many of your questions without knowing your location.

As to the benefit...
I have worked with many "selective mute" children. As an SLP, I have gained the trust and confidence of the child and they have been comfortable with me well before the classroom teacher or in the classroom setting. At the very least, I can say I have been an advocate/confidant for the child who is terribly anxious in school. I would say this to be true if your child is over 3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers