Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Whole Chicken recipes for shabbos lunch

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 8:07 am
My DS requested meatballs for Shabbos dinner so I want to make a chicken dish for shabbos lunch. I would prefer not to serve red meat twice in a row.

Has anyone made a whole chicken friday afternoon to serve shabbos lunch? I use my oven to keep the food warm so I am thinking a crockpot recipe. Any ideas or tips? Skin or no skin? liquid or no liquid?

smss

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:16 am
I think you could do it, but the chicken would be very very soft and falling apart.

Butterfly07

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:26 am
Funny, were actually making a chicken chollent this Shabbos! p.s-Chilli stew/chollent is also pretty good Enjoy Smile
You can do the chicken in your crock pot (look up diff recipes online and see which one speaks to you) or you can make it a cold dish with some warm rice and veggies on the side!

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:40 am
Put a whole chicken, rubbed with whatever spices you want, in the crockpot, upside down. (This is important - if you put it right side up it will dry out.) Put a whole, peeled onion inside the chicken. Zehu.

I sometimes add a little water or oil in the bottom, but it's really not necessary. The onion provides the moisture (and when you open the crockpot on Shabbos it is ugly and shriveled and we've never tried to eat it, lol) and the chicken is perfect.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:20 am
If your keep warm setting on the crockpot works well, put the empty crockpot on high setting to heat it through, then turn down to keep warm setting before shabbos and put in a rotisserie style chicken (raw, rubbed and marinated overnight) breast side down. No water. Cover and leave until ready to serve shabbos noon.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
If your keep warm setting on the crockpot works well, put the empty crockpot on high setting to heat it through, then turn down to keep warm setting before shabbos and put in a rotisserie style chicken (raw, rubbed and marinated overnight) breast side down. No water. Cover and leave until ready to serve shabbos noon.

Ra-mom would this really work? I’d love to do this.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:42 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Ra-mom would this really work? I’d love to do this.

Have you ever tried using your keep warm setting for 24 hours and seeing how the food fared? It depends on your appliance.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:47 am
ra_mom wrote:
Have you ever tried using your keep warm setting for 24 hours and seeing how the food fared? It depends on your appliance.

I rarely use the warm so I’m not sure,
usually just the low and high....low for ~18 hours would kill the chicken right?

cbg

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:52 am
ra_mom wrote:

Do you need something to lift it so it’s not soaking in the juices
I would put 2-3 whole potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot
Also— I would tie the legs so it looks pretty

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:53 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I rarely use the warm so I’m not sure,
usually just the low and high....low for 24 hour would kill the chicken right?

Low for more than 10 hours will kill it.
How about you put the chicken it on high for 1.5 hours (it usually needs 3 hours on high) and then turn to warm right before shabbos so it gets 18 hours on warm? If you're willing to experiment.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:54 am
cbg wrote:
Do you need something to lift it so it’s not soaking in the juices
I would put 2-3 whole potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot
Also— I would tie the legs so it looks pretty

The chicken should be sitting directing on the bottom of the crock stoneware. Potatoes won't cook through on warm either.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
Low for more than 10 hours will kill it.
How about you put the chicken it on high for 1.5 hours (it usually needs 3 hours on high) and then turn to warm right before shabbos so it gets 18 hours on warm? If you're willing to experiment.

I’m more worried about food safety with chicken on warm for so long. You've done that safely? Thanks so much for your help. 😊

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:58 am
I have made whole chicken in a crockpot often.

You need to make three balls of tin foil to elevate the chicken.

I remove the skin and as much of the fat as possible because the skin is gross and there is enough fat and liquid from the chicken so you don't need to have it swimming in fat. I've never had a problem with the chicken being dry because it is being cooked in a very moist environment unlike roasting which is dry heat. A roast chicken is delicious but I am just pointing out that cooked in a crockpot is more like being braised so dryness is NOT an issue.

I do season it VERY thoroughly. For a true rotisserie chicken taste, I use spices and herbs that would be used for a rotisserie chicken but I improvise depending on my mood. I do like to rub the chicken well with the spices and then let it sit for several hours or even overnight so the flavors really permeate the meat.

The chicken will be EXTREMELY soft - essentially it will collapse when it is done so it doesn't really resemble roast chicken or even rotisserie chicken but it is very good nonetheless.

However, I don't see how you could could it overnight because even on low, the chicken is completely done in about 6 hours and I can't imagine what it would be like cooked for much longer. I would cook it when I wanted the easiest possible chicken dish for dinner that night so that I could put it in and then have chicken waiting when I got home.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have made whole chicken in a crockpot often.

You need to make three balls of tin foil to elevate the chicken.

I remove the skin and as much of the fat as possible because the skin is gross and there is enough fat and liquid from the chicken so you don't need to have it swimming in fat. I've never had a problem with the chicken being dry because it is being cooked in a very moist environment unlike roasting which is dry heat. A roast chicken is delicious but I am just pointing out that cooked in a crockpot is more like being braised so dryness is NOT an issue.

I do season it VERY thoroughly. For a true rotisserie chicken taste, I use spices and herbs that would be used for a rotisserie chicken but I improvise depending on my mood. I do like to rub the chicken well with the spices and then let it sit for several hours or even overnight so the flavors really permeate the meat.

The chicken will be EXTREMELY soft - essentially it will collapse when it is done so it doesn't really resemble roast chicken or even rotisserie chicken but it is very good nonetheless.

However, I don't see how you could could it overnight because even on low, the chicken is completely done in about 6 hours and I can't imagine what it would be like cooked for much longer. I would cook it when I wanted the easiest possible chicken dish for dinner that night so that I could put it in and then have chicken waiting when I got home.

Ok thanks. Oh well, there goes my easy shabbos lunch!

Frumme

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:26 pm
I love my shabbos chicken cholent. It's not overcooked at all. Set it on low right before shabbos and it's great.

1 whole chicken breast side down in crockpot
Cover with 1 1/2 cup rice, 1 can chickpeas, 1 can diced tomatoes, 5-6 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp each of salt, cumin, turmeric. 2 tsp of pepper. 2 tsp each of red pepper flakes and coriander (can omit)
Sometimes I stuff inside of chicken with rice, too.

Add water to cover. Set on low. Persian cholent done. Yum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey