Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
No Bergament, No A & Sons, no big stores in BP any more
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:41 pm
No Bergament, no A & Sons (formerly G & Sons), no big stores in BP any more.

No low pressure stores left to just casually walk through to discover things.

YUCK.

13th Ave in the 1970's.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:43 pm
Do you mean G & Sons? Thoes were the days.... brings back such nice childhood memories

rgr

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:44 pm
Rent is being driven higher and higher, they can't afford it. The banks on 13th ave are just driving the rent higher.

sourstix

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 12:47 pm
how come the banks came in? why do we need so many? and why are they willing to pay so much more then lets say sylvias or m&m? remember those stores? I hated the service though I loved their stock. (sh I never bought there I just loved to browse)

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:00 pm
To quote Willie Sutton, they go where the money goes.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:00 pm
sourstix wrote:
how come the banks came in? why do we need so many? and why are they willing to pay so much more then lets say sylvias or m&m? remember those stores? I hated the service though I loved their stock. (sh I never bought there I just loved to browse)

Lots of people with lots of cash in BP, attracting all the banks. But as a result, BP no longer has stores that are interesting to browse.

hi its me

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:30 pm
Closeout connections still around?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:31 pm
There is National Wholesale Liquidators on 59th Street, Amazing Savings, Closeout Connections, Quick Aid...

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:32 pm
Yeah there's always closout connection or rite aid😝

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:59 pm
Who remembers Lanes pharmacy and the card store? I loved browsing the card store. G & sons.... especially the toy section w all the barbies! And it felt like an adventure going upstairs , or all the way down to the housewares. We always went there before pessach.
Is whispers and whimseys gone too? That was paradise for me ...
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:03 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Who remembers Lanes pharmacy and the card store? I loved browsing the card store. G & sons.... especially the toy section w all the barbies! And it felt like an adventure going upstairs , or all the way down to the housewares. We always went there before pessach.
Is whispers and whimseys gone too? That was paradise for me ...
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Smile

Lane's pharmacy is still around, just at a different location Smile
Whispers and Whimseys is long gone but there are many other great gift stores around.
G & Sons was fun!

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:53 pm
Anyone old enough to remember Gloria's Costume Jewelry (I think thats what it was called) with the huge display window on the corner of 46 & 13 where the eyeglass store is now?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lane's pharmacy is still around, just at a different location Smile
Whispers and Whimseys is long gone but there are many other great gift stores around.
G & Sons was fun!

Ahhhh!!! Those were the days!!! I still remember shopping for school supplies in G&Sons in the mad rush before school. I could remember my mom buying my brother a baseball mitt and bat for his afikomen....and somehow we came home with shopping bags full of stuff!!!
I used to ogle that store window of Whispers and Whimseys and only "dreamed" of getting something from there....and one day I finally did Smile

gp2.0

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:25 pm
sourstix wrote:
(sh I never bought there I just loved to browse)

Ha now we know why they went out of business. LOL

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
No Bergament, no A & Sons (formerly G & Sons), no big stores in BP any more.

No low pressure stores left to just casually walk through to discover things.

YUCK.

Ha! I remember when Bergament was Pergament. So funny! Just the other day I was trying to remember the name of the store that I bought my dish drains in and you reminded me. Very Happy Now I'm not sure if we bought it before or after it was changed.

balibusta

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:38 pm
There was a dif gift store that we wud wish to go into not whispers n whimseys a store in 13th ave that had hello kitty and crokee pencil cases that they used to puff paint your name on it.. I think was called something You

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:45 pm
Is that were we all got our breifcases with names drawn on them with paint markers....

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
Do you mean G & Sons? Thoes were the days.... brings back such nice childhood memories

A & Sons opened a few years ago in that store, same size, similar quality and variety of stuff, and they closed a few months ago.

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:16 pm
Anyone know whats being built now on the corner of 13 & 45, across the street from the Supermarket?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:03 pm
You name it, yes I loved that store too!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics