Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Far Rockaway area vs Queens

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:07 pm
I live in Brooklyn and always assumed that we would move to the Far Rockaway area when DH finished school. Someone recently mentioned something about Queens to me. I really know absolutely nothing about the place. How would you compare the two areas as far as the crowds that live, yeshivish simple fancy modern etc? the schools? housing prices? and general niceness of the area and the jewish amenities?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:17 pm
I live in KGH and work in Lawrence so I feel I could answer some questions!
My fave part abt Queens - the DIVERSITY! there are all types and no pressure for conformity. This can be viewed as a negative (because no pressure in a positive way) but most people here LOVE that part about it. You can really be yourself without feeling weird. There are a lot of shuls and a lot of types.
Queens does not have a lot of shopping. Main St is pretty limited. FR is pretty close to the 5T and Central Ave.
There are 2 Bais Yaakovs, 2 boys-only Yeshivas. If you are MO, there is YCQ, Har Torah, etc
The worst part about Queens - the rent/selling prices. It is expensive to buy or rent here. I think alot more that FR but not sure.
We checked out FR first and are not there but here is how I feel it compares:
Right next door to Lawrence and you feel it. Again, you can view that as positive or negative, but there's more of a In town influence coming over. I also feel it is more Brooklyn - in terms of dress, keeping up with the Joneses, etc. A lot more shopping, availability, etc.
A lot of school choices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating