Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Any minimalists out there?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:22 pm
I don't necessarily mean in terms of "hashkafa," just as the way you prefer to live your life.

I didn't start out this way, but as time goes on I definitely find myself gravitating toward this lifestyle. I don't know anyone else who lives this way and I have so many questions!

What type of house/apartment do you live in?

How much clothing do you have, and how much do your children have?

How do you live a minimalist lifestyle with kids? How many toys do they have? How do you balance their constant desires for more with your desire not to accumulate too much stuff?

How do you deal with friends and family members and their reactions to your lifestyle choice? Not to upgrade to the latest phone, buy a newer car, buy more clothes, etc?

chicco

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:45 pm
I'm the type of person who doesn't know what to do with extra. I tell dh not to buy me more jewelry because then I will have to change it, and how will I decide? Id rather just wear my favorites all of the time. I get nervous when I have too much of something and can't use it or don't need it. I do buy things in bulk- but stuff we constantly go through. My kids have outfits for every day of the week with a spare or two. I get anxious that I have too many sleepers for my infant and how can she possibly use all of them? I like to feel like I am not wasting. When I pack to go somewhere I only take what I know I will need. It makes me feel heavy to bring extra. What's the harm in packing extra? I can't explain it.
I have a sister in law who is the complete opposite. We get along quite well when we ignore this aspect of each other's personalities.
I purge every couple of months, whatever can't be used gets thrown out or given away. I also struggle to get rid of things that are perfectly good still, so I save if I know I can use them, or I give to someone who can.

I buy my kids what they need toys wise... And BH they have plenty, but I have no need to buy for buying sake.

In short: I'm not a true minimalist as BH we have much more than bare essentials, but we also use what we have and don't have mental space for more than that. And for people who have tons more, but use it- gezunter heit! I just don't understand when people always feel they need more, or have so much and never use it. Chaval.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:11 pm
Yes.
(Verbal minimalist)

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:22 pm
I'm the complete opposite of that Smile
But sometimes I wish I was a minimalist because I find myself overwhelmed with the amount of stuff in my house. Even if it's all in a place and not cluttered around the house, I feel like it's crowding my mind. I'm slowly starting to see a change in attitude, though, and that makes me happy.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:56 pm
I'm still driving my 2004 minivan. My couch is about 19 years old. I wear the same outfit if I like how I look in it. I replace things when I absolutely have to.

Anon cuz pple here might know me by my car.

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:00 pm
I'm like that by nature.

Acquiring stuff that takes up space makes me feel anxious.

I'm allergic to clutter.

I live in a very small apartment and love it.

Alas, you can't live life without stuff. Sigh.

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:01 pm
yogabird wrote:

Alas, you can't live life without stuff. Sigh.

Read the book Peace Pilgrim. She'll tell you how to live without stuff Smile

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:03 pm
I like minimalism in decor.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:04 pm
I can't handle clutter. Whatever doesn't get used on a regular basis goes. I gave away a lot of good stuff. People call me help them declutter. It gives me great satisfaction.

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:04 pm
Maya wrote:
Read the book Peace Pilgrim. She'll tell you how to live without stuff Smile

I guess I should have said frum life. With kids.

ecs

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:08 pm
[quote="flowerpower"]I can't handle clutter. Whatever doesn't get used on a regular basis goes. I gave away a lot of good stuff. People call me help them declutter. It gives me great satisfaction.[/quote
my sister and I trade off decluttering each others stuff. It's so much easier to dump stuff you didn't pay for!

Stars

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:11 pm
I'm like that too. Less is more is my motto. Can't stand extra stuff, clothing, jewelry, papers. I throw out whatever I can. Live small and wouldn't want an inch more. I got Italian bedroom furniture when we got married and I keep wishing can swap it out for ikea furniture. We Just have one table. We have lots of toys but I prefer if my son uses one at a time. I keep giving away stuff I don't need. I'll use one pair of shoes for a while then throw it out and get another.
DH is sort of the same way.

doublemama

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 10:20 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes.
(Verbal minimalist)

This made me laugh so hard!

chani8

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 7:17 am
I am a minimalist but live with 'savers'. When I get rid of stuff, I have to do it secretly.

I told DH that the next time we move, we should just walk away from all our stuff and start over. It'd be cheaper than moving it.

I really could do that. I've done that several times in my life. I have no emotional connection to things.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
I'm still driving my 2004 minivan. My couch is about 19 years old. I wear the same outfit if I like how I look in it. I replace things when I absolutely have to.

Anon cuz pple here might know me by my car.

Ah. It's possible to drive old cars, have old furniture, and even old clothes. But still have lots of stuff.

Sadie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 9:23 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Ah. It's possible to drive old cars, have old furniture, and even old clothes. But still have lots of stuff.

Ha yeah that's what I was going to say. I wouldn't call myself a minimalist because my apartment is, let's say, not very neat and spare. But I don't feel the need for new, expensive things (except an iphone). My parents are fairly wealthy but there were only a few things that they cared about spending money on- a nice house, pleasurable vacations, art, and education. We never had designer clothes or the latest electronics. All my friends thought my family was crazy because we were the only ones without cable TV and HBO. My mom still drives the '97 Toyota that I learned to drive on in high school.

I feel like I got good values about materialism from them. My husband and I make very little, and we live in a small apartment, ride the bus, wear clothes until they fall apart (and I have lots of second hand clothes from free swaps and hand me downs from friends) and I'm happy that way. My husband is less so. He grew up poor and yearns for wealth, a big house, a nice car. He got himself into debt in order to go away to hotels, pay for a car, and go out to eat and drink with friends before we got married, and we are now paying that debt off as a married couple.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 9:26 am
I could see maybe paring down some toys, but books, shoes or chocolate, no way ! Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics