Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strep question

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:00 pm
Hi all! I've already been to the pediatrician but I'm still worried and wondering if any of you have experience with this.

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with strep on Sunday and started 5 days of azithromycin. By Wednesday he seemed pretty much back to himself, no fever, but still a bit tired. Today he woke up with low grade fever and joint pain and a little swelling in one of his knees. Took him back to the dr today, and was given another prescription to continue the antibiotics for another few days. Was told to just keep an eye on him and make sure nothing gets worse.

I'm just really nervous because I've been reading all kinds of scary things online about rheumatic fever and pandas... His doctor didn't seem concerned yet at this point.

Can anyone reassure me that this is somewhat normal??

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:16 pm
sometimes medication doesnt work on the first try, and the strep is just deeper in his system...my kids get knee pain etc when they have strep , that's one of the ways I know that I need to take them to the doctor...follow doctors advice , dont be alarmed but mother knows best, if you see anything off with your son or if his symptoms are getting worse etc. call the doctor even after hours and have the answering service page the doc...the doc will call you back and advise you based on your child's symptoms. But between you and me your DS will be just fine in a few days! Refuah Shelaima

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 4:43 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
sometimes medication doesnt work on the first try, and the strep is just deeper in his system...my kids get knee pain etc when they have strep , that's one of the ways I know that I need to take them to the doctor...follow doctors advice , dont be alarmed but mother knows best, if you see anything off with your son or if his symptoms are getting worse etc. call the doctor even after hours and have the answering service page the doc...the doc will call you back and advise you based on your child's symptoms. But between you and me your DS will be just fine in a few days! Refuah Shelaima

Thanks so much for responding and calming me down just a little Smile

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:22 pm
rheumatic fever happens from neglected strep. This isnt neglected, youre taking care of it. and yes, my kids have had swollen legs from strep.

srbmom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:56 pm
My ped told me that if a child doesn't respond to three rounds of antibiotics for strep, that's when you start looking it other things.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 9:05 pm
Thanks all. I guess I tend to overreact and get really nervous. He started the new round of antibiotics tonight (amoxicillin this time), so hopefully it'll clear up soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics