Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Button batteries

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 1:52 pm
My toddler found a pack of those button batteries and I found them all over the floor. I don't know how many there were so I don't know if she swallowed any. Usually she doesn't eat things she picks up and looks fine now. Do I have to run to the Er now?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 2:01 pm
Yes, ER now! At the very least call your doctor's office or the poison control center!

howru2day

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:08 pm
Symptoms Ch"v should appear within two hours. If she's acting fine, then she either didn't swallow anything or you'll find it in her diaper.

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:45 pm
They can be very dangerous. I would call your doctor quick & get an x-ray, and I am not the x-ray type at all, but I've read very scary stories about those things.

das

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:54 pm
call poison control immediately. do not wait another minute. these are abnormally dangerous! it's not a find-indiaper-thing, these batteries cause SEVERE internal injuries-death. I dont want to scare you but you must call immed.

howru2day

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 3:59 pm
das wrote:
call poison control immediately. do not wait another minute. these are abnormally dangerous! it's not a find-indiaper-thing, these batteries cause SEVERE internal injuries-death. I dont want to scare you but you must call immed.

My DS actually swallowed two button batteries a while back and after that I did some research. No need to scare op. Symptoms such as difficulty breathing or swallowing appear within two hours. If there are no symptoms within this time frame then there is absolutely nothing to worry about. It will come out in the diaper.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 5:17 pm
Op here. I went to do an x-ray and b"h b"h they didn't see any battery.
Now I'll say what I was told. First I called my local Dr who sent me to call poisen control. PC sent me to do x-ray asap. They also told me if they'll find anything then I should have a close eye for any symptoms like extreme vomiting or burning or change of behavior and look out to find it in the stool. Although my child seemed fine I went for an x-ray and now I can be assured I did the best for my child. Thanks to everyone advising me to do it.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:27 pm
And from now on you will keep button batteries under lock and key if you need to own them at all.

I have been phasing out anything that even uses button batteries, and the few things still left have the cover screwed in, and I don't keep spares at all. If I care enough to replace them I will buy as needed.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Feb 04 2016, 7:57 pm
So glad to hear that!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics