Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with this puzzle
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:06 am
DH will not eat the same main dish two days in a row. I need to make him two hot fleish meals a day. If I can't do this, then he goes out and buys food which is usually very expensive. He won't grab a pizza. He will grab a steak instead. I am working now, so I don't have all the time I used to have to cater to him. I used to go shopping daily and create two gourmet meals a day.

I also need to cook for the rest of the family. They only need one hot meal a day. Breakfast for DH is something I baked and a coffee which he takes himself. The kids eat cereal and lunch at school.

Can you please help me figure out a formula so that I can plan to shop once a week. I also would appreciate simple dishes to save me time in the kitchen. He is not good with most vegetables beyond asparagus, corn, potatoes and sometimes broccoli. He is also not good with fish. I could probably push fish about once a month - but no more. The same is true for milchags.

I am getting a big promotion at work which means more hours, so any help solving this is appreciated.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:13 am
Have a quiet discussion with your husband about him lowering his expectations. Perhaps he can deal with the kids meals while you cook his?

penguin

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:15 am
Sounds like somebody spoiled him, not sure you did or his mother did previously.

Besides being expensive (can you afford it?) it's highly unhealthy to eat that much fleishig. Maybe sit him down with a nutritionist or Mesila or both.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:27 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Have a quiet discussion with your husband about him lowering his expectations. Perhaps he can deal with the kids meals while you cook his?
He is really nice about it always saying not to worry about him. Unfortunately, he gets home hours after the kids eat. I am home in the mornings to cook, so it wouldn't make sense to ask him do it. Besides, he wouldn't do it.

be good

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:38 am
sunday:
chicken cutlets & asparagus & rice / red meat & potatoes

mondays:
chicken on the bone & corn / ground beef & broccoli

tuesdays:

wednesdays:

thursdays:

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:40 am
penguin wrote:
Sounds like somebody spoiled him, not sure you did or his mother did previously.

Besides being expensive (can you afford it?) it's highly unhealthy to eat that much fleishig. Maybe sit him down with a nutritionist or Mesila or both.

That would be me who spoiI led him. I can afford the food; although, I dislike spending the money. The alternative is worse.

I do serve balanced meals. Lunch is a home made soup. It is followed by 1/2 a plate of meat (about 4oz) and a 1/4 each of a starch and vegetable. Supper is the same minus the soup.

Today I served a veal bolognaise sauce over spaghetti with corn. I made a roasted sweet potato soup for lunch. Supper was roasted chicken, rice and corn. Yesterday was empanadas, rice and beans, and corn for lunch with minestrone soup. Supper yesterday was steak, garlic mashed and broccoli.

Can you see my menu problem? I need a formula so I don't go thrift this daily. I need to switch to simple food.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 12:47 am
be good wrote:
sunday:

mondays:

tuesdays:

wednesdays:

thursdays:

Wow! That is so smart. I never thought to make chicken only for lunch and beef or lamb for supper. I can't thank you enough! This is exactly what I need.

Besides steak, could you list a couple of red meat dishes. I am afraid I am burnt out drum this.

SorGold

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:03 am
Burgers, pastrami burgers, meat loaf, meatballs, meat pizza, beef stew (in croc pot), chili, shepards pie, pepper steak, burritos, beef cubes with beer, barbeque ribs, pulled beed brisket, tacos, chinese beef and brocolli, chinese pepper and baby corn stir fry, turkey sandwich...
Your dh is one lucky man Very Happy

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 2:22 am
amother wrote:
That would be me who spoiI led him. I can afford the food; although, I dislike spending the money. The alternative is worse.

I do serve balanced meals. Lunch is a home made soup. It is followed by 1/2 a plate of meat (about 4oz) and a 1/4 each of a starch and vegetable. Supper is the same minus the soup.

Today I served a veal bolognaise sauce over spaghetti with corn. I made a roasted sweet potato soup for lunch. Supper was roasted chicken, rice and corn. Yesterday was empanadas, rice and beans, and corn for lunch with minestrone soup. Supper yesterday was steak, garlic mashed and broccoli.

Can you see my menu problem? I need a formula so I don't go thrift this daily. I need to switch to simple food.

Make room, I'm moving in to your place Very Happy

Just OOC why does everything have to be fleishig? and hot? Is he allergic to all other proteins or something? I mean, I actually know someone who is but that's very unusual.

imasinger

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 5:36 am
My DH grew up on meat and potatoes every single night. Usually alternating forms of beef. And guess what? He changed while in his 20's. Now, we have fresh fleishigs only for Shabbos, and sometimes not even then.

My suggestion is to take all of these wonderful meal ideas (by the way, soups, stews, and more can be fresh frozen and taste fresh when served,so you can make several meals ahead). But also to talk with him about 1 meal a week being dairy or pareve. Just one. You can serve pareve options as a side to get him used to taste.

There are many soups that can be made pareve. For protein, in addition to fish, there are dishes with tofu, eggs, beans and rice, quinoa, "fake meats" products like pareve chicken nuggets or veggie burgers, etc.

You can build from there.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:01 am
Op you are my hero!! 2 hot meals a day including a homemade breakfast Wave (closest emoji to a salute).

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 6:45 am
This is what I would do for a weekly menu in your situation. Change up the recipes but keep the general idea

Sunday- leftovers from Shabbos.

Monday lunch - chicken sandwich
Monday dinner - ground meat. Serve with pasta or bread like sloppy joes or burgers. Use half turkey so it tastes the same but is healthier.

Tuesday lunch- tacos or tortillas. This can be done with chicken or meat or fish or beans.
Tuesday dinner- hearty stew with bread.

Wednesday lunch - hot dogs or sausages
Wednesday dinner- fish

Thursday lunch - chicken pot pie or quiche. If you buy the crust it's quick to prepare.
Thursday dinner - one pot dinner like meat/chicken with rice/ potatoes and veggies. Or shepherds pie

Every Sunday make sure you have for the week.

Veggies: Plan on half the meals having salad (any kind. With and without lettuce, with or without fruit. Mexican salad with beans and corn, etc). and half the meals having cooked veggies. For the sandwiches and wraps make sure you have any combination of the following- tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, Coke slaw, pickles, mushrooms, onions.

Pasta: if you're making pasta Monday night.

Bread: for Sunday lunch, Tuesday dinner, Wednesday lunch.

Ground meat- for Sunday dinner and Thursay dinner.

Chicken breast, Chicken legs, meat like flanken- for stew, sandwiches, Tuesday lunch and Thursday dinner.

I got tired of making the shopping lists but that's a head start.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 11:30 am
op, I recommend you get a triple crock pot: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....ooker

crock pot meals are quick and simple, and he'll have hot food whenever he comes home. I recommend meatballs, meatloaf, chicken, soup, ribs, etc. you can always cook potatoes or rice in the crock with the meat. you can add some veggies too, like carrots, peas, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower... avoid zucchini and eggplant, they add too much moisture. you can easily fill the crock pots the night before or in the morning (depending on the recipe and how long it takes to cook). alternatively, you can fill a liner with the ingredients the night before (or freeze well in advance) and plunk it in in the morning. make a weekly menu around crock pots and do your shopping based on the menu.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:46 pm
SorGold wrote:
Burgers, pastrami burgers, meat loaf, meatballs, meat pizza, beef stew (in croc pot), chili, shepards pie, pepper steak, burritos, beef cubes with beer, barbeque ribs, pulled beed brisket, tacos, chinese beef and brocolli, chinese pepper and baby corn stir fry, turkey sandwich...
Your dh is one lucky man Very Happy

Thank you.

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:49 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
op, I recommend you get a triple crock pot: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....ooker

crock pot meals are quick and simple, and he'll have hot food whenever he comes home. I recommend meatballs, meatloaf, chicken, soup, ribs, etc. you can always cook potatoes or rice in the crock with the meat. you can add some veggies too, like carrots, peas, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower... avoid zucchini and eggplant, they add too much moisture. you can easily fill the crock pots the night before or in the morning (depending on the recipe and how long it takes to cook). alternatively, you can fill a liner with the ingredients the night before (or freeze well in advance) and plunk it in in the morning. make a weekly menu around crock pots and do your shopping based on the menu.

Wow. There are so cool....I love my crockpotand never realized they come in triple versions.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 1:55 pm
imasinger wrote:
My DH grew up on meat and potatoes every single night. Usually alternating forms of beef. And guess what? He changed while in his 20's. Now, we have fresh fleishigs only for Shabbos, and sometimes not even then.

My suggestion is to take all of these wonderful meal ideas (by the way, soups, stews, and more can be fresh frozen and taste fresh when served,so you can make several meals ahead). But also to talk with him about 1 meal a week being dairy or pareve. Just one. You can serve pareve options as a side to get him used to taste.

There are many soups that can be made pareve. For protein, in addition to fish, there are dishes with tofu, eggs, beans and rice, quinoa, "fake meats" products like pareve chicken nuggets or veggie burgers, etc.

You can build from there.

DH doesn't like stew, but he likes soup, so I thin it out and call it soup. The problem is that it leaves me short a meal. DH never complains whatever I cook, but he will go out and buy a steak for takeout.

DH likes halibut which is twice the price of steak. Once in a very great while, he will eat fried flounder- about twice a year. He thinks fish is Shabbos food.

I could get away with a dairy pasta like gnocchi in a pink vodka sauce or a pesto sauce, but they are also time consuming.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 2:05 pm
seeker wrote:

Just OOC why does everything have to be fleishig? and hot? Is he allergic to all other proteins or something? I mean, I actually know someone who is but that's very unusual.

No allergy. He grew up that way and expected his wife to make a hot supper. Then I saw he was spending $20+ a day on lunch, so I started making my own for him. This was fine when I was a sahm.

Kumphort

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 2:15 pm
Can u get away with repurposing leftovers. So for example dinner would be chicken cutlets grilled and then the next day for lunch would be chicken wraps or grilled chicken salad. One night a meatloaf the next day use leftovers and cook in sauce and make sloppy Joe's etc

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:07 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Can u get away with repurposing leftovers. So for example dinner would be chicken cutlets grilled and then the next day for lunch would be chicken wraps or grilled chicken salad. One night a meatloaf the next day use leftovers and cook in sauce and make sloppy Joe's etc

He may eat chichen salad or a sandwich once or twice a year. It is very rare.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 4:51 pm
seeker wrote:

I'm wondering where whole grains come into the menu and I certainly would add more vegetables. I don't think I'd be able to move if I were eating 8oz of meat a day but that's me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen