Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ASAP: Is my chicken safe???
Previous  1  2

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:27 pm
I hope all of you who aren't careful about food safety rules DO NOT serve this food to elderly, ill, pregnant, or very young family memebers or guests.
Toxins do not necessarily smell. Better safe than sorry! Don't put someone else in harms way just because you don't believe in scientific facts.

babula

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:46 pm
The thing I'm most careful about is handling raw chicken. The rest I'm way more relaxed about. FWIW.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 1:24 am
To the amother who has difficulty getting things to the fridge in good time - some tips I just remembered while shopping and returning from buying chicken today:

1. I always put my most perishable purchases straight into an insulated bag. Right there at the checkout counter. The good kind that zippers closed. It keeps them really cold for quite a while.
- buy extras and keep in the car because half the time you'll forget to bring them from the house.
- you can toss in ice packs from your freezer before leaving home to keep them colder longer.

2. In the winter, if you know you won't be able to get the goods to a fridge right away, just leave them outside. Even inside a garage my car stays as cold as a refrigerator on cold winter days (judging by the temperature of the water bottles I tend to leave in there.)

3. If it's not winter, just stick the whole supermarket bag straight in the fridge. If you were planning to arrange it differently, freeze some, whatever, you can get back to that later. I just stuff together the things that were already in the fridge, pile things up, take out things that are less perishable, and shove the whole lot of chicken/meat right in. Then later on I take out one package at a time to divide and freeze.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 4:03 am
Basically, food safety involves some knowledge and awareness and a measure of planning and attention to detail. It is also a responsiblity.
Deliberately ignoring food safety rules and allowing food to degrade and to become potentially unfit for consumption (not to mention playing Russian Roulette with people's health) is IMO much more reprehensible than throwing away potentially dangerous food that has inadvertantly and regrettably become dubious safety-wise.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen