Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Daycare in WRP, Chicago

mebs

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 2:02 pm
We are planning to move this summer to Chicago from Eretz Yisroel, and desperately need some info!

My husband will be working and I will be looking for a job when we get there (probably both full-time).

What are the childcare options???
My kids will be 18months & 3 1/2 come Sept.

Are there any full-time frum daycares? Do people send to non-frum places? What are the hours? What do they include? How many kids vs staff? Are there any that are licensed? How much do they cost?

Are there other options - like half day daycare and then hiring a nanny for the afternoons? How hard would that be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 4:53 pm
I think the best idea is to post on the local Facebook pages. Try Chicago Jewish Central . Most full time cares for little ones are not licenced. They're based in people's homes.

twogees

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 7:14 pm
From what I know from my sister in law who lives in chicago, most childcare is from 9-1:30. Pm me for her info and I am sure she would gladly help you out.

finprof

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 9:21 pm
There are many "in home" places in wrp- the going rate is $6-8/hr. Most of the schools have preschools but they start at age 3 and are only half day. The JCC in wrp is half day, the one in Skokie does full day 7:30-6, both are rather expensive but they offer financial aid. Mosaic in Skokie has the best hrs: 7-6, $70 per day or $300 per week but its not frum and they feed the kids (you can ask for vegetarian but thy have no kosher option and you can't send food). I second the idea of checking FB- also look in the "Chicago Jewish Mommy's and Singles" group.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 9:42 pm
There are a few options. Private playgroups start at age 2 and are usually until 1:30. Private babysitting in someone's home is monthly or hourly depending on the hours needed. There are some babysitting/playgroups for the under 2 crowd. The most popular playgroups might be full already, but you will still be able to find ones that are good. Your best options for full day care are morning playgroups and an afternoon babysitter.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:06 pm
I've never heard of playgroups going to 1:30. In my experience they've been 9-1 and some have option of sending early at 830 for an additional fee. Many play groups are probably filled by now. It's crazy-most open registration in November. I send to Bais Yaakov/yeshiva tiferes Tzvi and their nursery starts at age 4-the child has to be 4 by November 30th of that school year. The playgroups here are broken into 18 months, 2 year olds, and threes. People also do babysitting in their house where you might find longer hours but like another poster wrote they're most likely not licensed. the people I know who work full time end up with a nanny due to the limited hours offer weed outside of the home.

mebs

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:52 am
OK, I'm starting to make some progress and sort out what we're going to do Smile

Does anyone have information on Miriam Spector, and her phone number? I've heard that she does longer hours.

Are there any morahs that you had a great experience with that you would recommend?

Please PM me!

TIA

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:07 am
She does the full day but be aware she does not take them outside due to her back yard not being fenced in. I did not want my child inside all day.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:11 am
I have sent 2 children to Miriam Spector. I love her! She is so warm. Her FT hours are 830-4, but she will often do early/late for an additional fee. Officially she does 2-3, but she took both my children before they turned 2. She provides lunch and snacks. Her rates are also very reasonable, full day is 5900 for the year. You can send part time too. As pp said, the kids are indoors all day. She sometimes fills up fast, so I would call soon.
For your 4 year old, nursery registration is now open. Most people in WRP send to Arie Crown or JDBY. Some send to the JCC for the last year before kindergarten. There are some people who send to Hillel Torah (Coed, Ivrit b'Ivrit) or Akiba Schechter.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:18 am
It's been many years since my kids were with Miriam Spector and I still remember how warm and caring she was.

True not going out is a downside but remember that in Chicago there's a long, long, cold winter.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:43 am
Another vote for Mrs. Spector! I taught limudei chol, so my son was with her just for the afternoons, noon to 4pm.

My 3 year old is currently by Adina Dimarsky and I'm very happy. That's 9-1, with early dropoff option for extra $. No late pickup option, though.

If you're into it, my eldest went to Shaarei Chinuch, a mixed-age Montessori preschool. It's a combined class of kids ages 3-6 with incredible Morahs. My kid went there for the full 3 years, starting as a little one and ending up one of the big class leaders. It's expensive, but they do have an option to stay till 3:45pm.

PM me for phone numbers if you'd like.

Welcome to Chicago!

mebs

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:47 pm
Thanks for the info!

I'm going to call Miriam Spector, but it sounds like my kid is really too old for her group.

What about Nachi Kirsch? Anyone heard of her?

And - I love the Montessori method. I'm just not sure if I can afford it for this upcoming year. Having said that - what kids do they get? Are they all frum or is it a mix? From the website it looks like the Morahs are lubavitch - do they push any lubavitch haskafa on the kids?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:59 pm
Yes, there are a bunch of Lubavitch kids/morahs in Shaarei Chinuch, but it's really a mix. IME there was no Lubavitch push from the teachers. They sing "ach tzadikim yodu lishmecha" at the end of davening, which is more of a Lubavitch thing, but it's in the regular siddur, just yeshivish people don't tend to focus on it. One kid wore a "Yechi" kippah at one point, but he wasn't a proselytizing 4-year-old. I don't remember if they make a few Lubavitch-minhag assumptions, like that 3-year-old girls light Shabbos candles, but that doesn't bother me.

My son who went to Montessori is now at YTT, the standard yeshivish community school. He's doing well, if anything ahead of his class academically.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 1:04 pm
If your 3 1/2 year old will be 4 by November 30th then he/she can start Nursery (pre-k) in one of the real schools. I think Mrs Sorah Malka Broyde does older 3 year olds, she's a very organized, warm morah and her playgroup isn't new. You might want to subscribe to the Achdus Bulletin, it comes as a weekly email full of community news and oftentimes playgroups will advertise there. email achdusbulletin@thechicagocenter.org
Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating