Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Ignoring on Whatsapp
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:48 pm
I find it extremely unnerving and annoying when I know that people have read my whatsapp message, yet choose to ignore me. Even if you only have a negative answer, just answer. Don't ignore. Obviously I see when people saw the message since it has two green checks. Sometimes it can take a day to answer. But to completely ignore is extremely not mannered in my opinion. Anyone with me?

Sadie

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:58 pm
That's why I disabled read receipts. They're nothing but trouble.

sleepybeauty

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:01 pm
I am guilty of this myself. I open a whatsapp and am often about to respond when my baby wakes up or needs something and I forget to respond until much later.

busydev

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:02 pm
Maybe I quickly checked my phone to make sure it wasn't something important but I was busy with my kids, cooking,dh etc.. . and I forgot to get back to you later when I had time ti breath. Happens to me fairly often.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:03 pm
Well maybe u can be dlk! My husband or kids sometimes open the messages by mistake, and I don't realise there was a message until a day later. I don't get insulted when people don't answer me right away, if it was urgent and I need a reply I will call them up.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:08 pm
When I get a message I check to see if it's something that needs an immediate answer . If I am busy or my hands are occupied , etc.. I will wait for a better time. It's not ignoring you.
People might be busy with more important things.

stay fit

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:13 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
When I get a message I check to see if it's something that needs an immediate answer . If I am busy or my hands are occupied , etc.. I will wait for a better time. It's not ignoring you.
People might be busy with more important things.

I used to do the same but always felt guilty for not answering, after a while I disabled read reciepts, now I'm a lot less stressed out about needing to respond on time! I will respond whenever I get around to. Of courses of its something important I'll try to answer asap.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:43 pm
There are a few possible reasons it shows read and is not answered, I have a big issue with people getting annoyed when they don't get an answer right away. I think the fact that people get annoyed is a big problem. If whatsapp is open and I get a lot of messages and don't read them, they may show as read and I'm dealing with other chats, I will not answer.

I also ignore my phone dinging at times as I have a life and if it's a true emergency, someone will call. I answer phone faster because almost no one calls anymore between text, whatsapp and Facebook.
My boss gets so annoyed if I don't answer right away and it's never an emergency! He just assumes that I should answer because he sent a message! (this is after hours).

Remember the days when we weren't on 'call' 24/6??

I love technology but think it's a little far gone these days...

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:53 pm
Just because I own a cell phone, doesn't mean I am available all day. Sometimes I can scroll through chats for something important, and not read through everyone's responses. If it's really urgent, please call me.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
I find it extremely unnerving and annoying when I know that people have read my whatsapp message, yet choose to ignore me. Even if you only have a negative answer, just answer. Don't ignore. Obviously I see when people saw the message since it has two green checks. Sometimes it can take a day to answer. But to completely ignore is extremely not mannered in my opinion. Anyone with me?
two green checks does not mean the person saw it. it means the message has been delivered to the other person's whatsapp. The only way to know that the person possibly read it is to check when they were online last. You can often see that the person hasnt been online in a day or even more, but your message was delivered. They didnt necessarily read it. Also, sometimes a person checks the message but poshut has no time to respond momentarily.

sleepybeauty

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:22 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
two green checks does not mean the person saw it. it means the message has been delivered to the other person's whatsapp. The only way to know that the person possibly read it is to check when they were online last. You can often see that the person hasnt been online in a day or even more, but your message was delivered. They didnt necessarily read it. Also, sometimes a person checks the message but poshut has no time to respond momentarily.

2 gray checks means delivered, 2 blue checks means read.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:27 pm
You actually can see delivered and read time on my phone (iPhone).

I had an incident a few weeks ago, where I accidentally deleted WhatsApp and when I put it back it lost about a week of chats, right before it was deleted I was in process of sorting through a list with a big group, I no longer had the info on my phoned it showed as read, so they were annoyed I wasn't answering when I obviously had read the info!

MrsDash

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:55 pm
This reminds of the days when aol was hot. They used to let you see when someone had opened your email. Caused a lot of similar issues. I remember people getting upset at a me for not responding to their email when they "know" I read it. Sometimes I opened it, but either didn't read it or I didn't have time to respond. However, there were times when I wasn't in the mood to deal with that person.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 5:12 pm
Sometimes if I want to give a substantive response and am not in a position to do so, I'll wait until I can. Sometimes an answer requires thought. Sometimes someone could have checked their phone at a red light but are driving again. It takes much shorter to simply read a message than to respond.
That was going to be the end of my message as I started answering this question a few hours ago. Then a friend arrived and I put it aside but left the answer sitting on my phone browser. Now I'm posting it. Case in point.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 5:17 pm
I have whatsapp on my tablet and I dont like typing on it when I'm already in bed, bc of the uncomfortable angle. So often when I get a whatsapp message on my tablet but I'm in bed, the bathroom, etc. I'll wait til I'm sitting at a table to type back.

agreer

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 5:36 pm
Why don't you just assume that if you asked for something and no one responds, the answer is "no"

newmother

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 5:51 pm
In settings under privacy, you can turn off the read receipts (the checks) so no one will know if you saw the message but if you turn it off you can't see when other people read your message

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 6:17 pm
Op here, I may not have been clear enough in my op. What I was trying to say was, that I understand if it can take a day to respond. Im also busy and dont respond right away. Im referring to messages that go by and dont ever get a response. I think a person deserves to be answered rather than ignored.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 10:42 pm
usually if something is important enough to really warrant a reply, I'll try another method of communication a bit later if there's no answer via whatsapp. I dont sit around and let days go by.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 10:43 pm
no comprendo
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette