Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How much have you paid a kallah teacher?
Previous  1  2  3  4

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Chicago. It was free officially but she said that she recommends that we donate to Daughters of Israel.

It was 4 classes 1 1/2 - 3 hours each. I felt vastly unprepared. I read books and then a tzadekes from the neighborhood (she was also a kallah teacher) called me a week before the wedding and asked me if I felt prepared. I told her I wasn't so she told me to come over for a couple hours and she reviewed it with me and gave me a test. Also for free.

I also went through the Daughters of Israel classes, but I felt prepared. I think part of the issue though with that system is the size of the classes - with such big groups, people with sensitive questions arent likely to ask.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 7:44 pm
I paid $300 in Baltimore 10 years ago

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:22 am
Maybe I shud go into the business? I seriously can't believe it $1000 ?

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:48 am
amother wrote:
Maybe I shud go into the business? I seriously can't believe it $1000 ?

Just going out on a limb that the women who take $1000 arent just starting out and it takes many years and happy referrals to get to that price point.

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:16 am
watergirl wrote:
Just going out on a limb that the women who take $1000 arent just starting out and it takes many years and happy referrals to get to that price point.

This..the women that I know that charge in this price range are doing it for at least ten years and have made a name for themselves.

And I think it would be easier to tutor school age children than be a kallah teacher for that money.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:18 am
watergirl wrote:
I also went through the Daughters of Israel classes, but I felt prepared. I think part of the issue though with that system is the size of the classes - with such big groups, people with sensitive questions arent likely to ask.

I wasn't shy. The other two girls in the class had been to coed high school and I was the third one. I had previously had boyfriends so I knew what I was up for. None of us were uncomfortable asking questions.

It was the halachos that I really felt unprepared for. The teacher is an amazing teacher but it was a bad time in her life and I joined the class Halfway through and then filled in on the other classes. She showed me three colored cloths but without having done previous bedikas I promptly forgot the colors she showed me and was left extremely confused. I also didn't understand how to calculate the onot, even after we reviewed it many times.

The whole thing was really confusing but I think that if I had learned it in HS, I would have not been so overwhelmed at such a stressful time in my life that I would've understood it better. Of course I could've read books before so the class would be a review, so maybe it was my fault.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:04 am
Wow! This seems so crazy to me. I didn't realize you need to pay for kallah classes. I had classes in Milwaukee, abt 3 yrs ago, free. My husband had his in Finland by his rabbi, also free. Taught more in the chassidish nature, but a bit more open then most I suppose.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:01 pm
I had classes in Monsey about 6 years ago. Money was very tight for me, and we were paying for our own wedding, so I think I paid $250 and the teacher's regular price was around $350-$400. I think we had 6-8 private sessions lasting about 2 hours each. She was fantastic and really geared the classes to me personally.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics