Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are there kids who age out of foster care with no home?
Previous  1  2  3

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:38 am
I am so sad today.

On a good day, I feel like I can tackle the whole world, one handed.

Today, I woke up with a crushing migraine, and didn't get out of bed until DD came home from school. I missed the cleaning lady, so I have to call and apologize to her.

I keep forgetting that I have issues, and that I am most likely not cut out to take on another child. It's so unfair. I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING! Crying

I know, Hashem has a plan for me, and apparently fostering is not on that list. In the meantime, I'll keep an open door policy for all of DD's friends, and hope that I can be of help to anyone who needs it.

chani8

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:15 pm
It's ok, FF. You're doing great!!

Saving the world starts with saving one's self. And despite all that was against you, you saved yourself, with Hashem's help, and then went and adopted a child. And became a great mother.

You are doing so much good!! You are special and awesome and a hero!

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am so sad today.

Today, I woke up with a crushing migraine, and didn't get out of bed until DD came home from school. I missed the cleaning lady, so I have to call and apologize to her.

I keep forgetting that I have issues, and that I am most likely not cut out to take on another child. It's so unfair. I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING! Crying

I know, Hashem has a plan for me, and apparently fostering is not on that list. In the meantime, I'll keep an open door policy for all of DD's friends, and hope that I can be of help to anyone who needs it.

as a person who went through the foster care system myself I also want to save the world & foster or adopt every kid or even adult who needs it

alas I too am not able because of life's circumstances ... but I would LOVE that person wholeheartedly if I did

what I do in place is help other people without adopting them - it's sort of fostering them in those moments/days/weekends that I can

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am so sad today.

Greenfire gave me an idea. You can be an "adoptive" family for a bat sherut, a lone soldier, someone going through conversion or even an elderly person that can serve as a surrogate grandparent for DD. It would be less demanding than actual adoption or fostering of a child but could really enrich your family life. And help you give back.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:21 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Greenfire gave me an idea. You can be an "adoptive" family for a bat sherut, a lone soldier, someone going through conversion or even an elderly person that can serve as a surrogate grandparent for DD. It would be less demanding than actual adoption or fostering of a child but could really enrich your family life. And help you give back.

When I lived in the US, I "adopted" so many people in the conversion process! I helped them with their kitchens and had them for Shabbos, and DH sat and learned with them. I really miss doing that. When we moved, I gave my entire kitchen to a friend of mine who just converted, and couldn't afford to replace all of her stuff. It felt wonderful to be in a position to give.

Over the years I've taken in women who were escaping abusive relationships, and let them stay with me until they got back on their feet. One of them married my ex husband (I set them up!)

We don't have a lot of sem girls around here to take in, but I would love to adopt a lone soldier or two. Where do you sign up for that?

I also have two rescued chihuahuas, who were taken from a high kill shelter. I feed the stray cats in the neighborhood, too. Do you see a pattern here? Wink

water_bear88

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
When I lived in the US, I "adopted" so many people in the conversion process! I helped them with their kitchens and had them for Shabbos, and DH sat and learned with them. I really miss doing that. When we moved, I gave my entire kitchen to a friend of mine who just converted, and couldn't afford to replace all of her stuff. It felt wonderful to be in a position to give.

Over the years I've taken in women who were escaping abusive relationships, and let them stay with me until they got back on their feet. One of them married my ex husband (I set them up!)

We don't have a lot of sem girls around here to take in, but I would love to adopt a lone soldier or two. Where do you sign up for that?

I also have two rescued chihuahuas, who were taken from a high kill shelter. I feed the stray cats in the neighborhood, too. Do you see a pattern here? Wink

I remember there was a program when I was in sem where you could request to be placed for a Shabbat with a family in a city you wanted to see. Maybe someone remembers the name of that program and you could volunteer to be a host family?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:31 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
I remember there was a program when I was in sem where you could request to be placed for a Shabbat with a family in a city you wanted to see. Maybe someone remembers the name of that program and you could volunteer to be a host family?
Shabbat.com does that.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:34 pm
Anywhere in Israel.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics